Old 08-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Kyle Bader

Default Progress made, not done yet All of a sudden, no apache2. No clue why.

Heyo Kevin,

> <Directory /hex/hexTest/>
> *** AuthUserFile /etc/apache2/kosmanor/passwords
> *** AuthGroupFile /dev/null
> *** AuthName "OHex Advanced"
> *** AuthType Basic
> *** Require valid-user
> *** Options FollowSymLinks
> </Directory>

Try adding one of these in there:

AddHandler cgi-script cgi pl

--

Kyle

Old 08-04-2010, 01:08 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Kyle Bader <kyle.bader@gmail.com> wrote:

Heyo Kevin,

> <Directory /hex/hexTest/>

> *** AuthUserFile /etc/apache2/kosmanor/passwords

> *** AuthGroupFile /dev/null

> *** AuthName "OHex Advanced"

> *** AuthType Basic

> *** Require valid-user

> *** Options FollowSymLinks

> </Directory>

Try adding one of these in there:

AddHandler cgi-script cgi pl

Thanks, Kyle, you've been getting me closer and closer.
If I'm starting to "get" the new stuff, AddHandler declares certain extensions.* Up until last month, extensions were not required, and in fact my CGI programs have never had them.* It used to be enough to use ScriptAlias, and put an executable in the directory.* If it was a script with a shebang, or a compiled ELF program all was well.* If I were going to use extensions, it would be .py or possibly .python, not .cgi or .pl.

I see hints that the same sort of thing can still be accomplished, and I'd rather do that than break my RCS version sequence because of a name change.* I'll report back.

--

Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 08-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Kyle Bader

>> AddHandler cgi-script cgi py
>>
> Thanks, Kyle, you've been getting me closer and closer.
> If I'm starting to "get" the new stuff, AddHandler declares certain
> extensions.* Up until last month, extensions were not required, and in fact
> my CGI programs have never had them.* It used to be enough to use
> ScriptAlias, and put an executable in the directory.* If it was a script
> with a shebang, or a compiled ELF program all was well.* If I were going to
> use extensions, it would be .py or possibly .python, not .cgi or .pl.

I totally meant to have it be py instead of pl, I guess pounding away
at perl all day yesterday warped my mind.

--

Kyle

Old 08-05-2010, 01:53 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 10:04 AM, Kyle Bader <kyle.bader@gmail.com> wrote:

>> AddHandler cgi-script cgi py

> Thanks, Kyle, you've been getting me closer and closer.

> If I'm starting to "get" the new stuff, AddHandler declares certain

> extensions.* Up until last month, extensions were not required, and in fact

> my CGI programs have never had them.* It used to be enough to use

> ScriptAlias, and put an executable in the directory.* If it was a script

> with a shebang, or a compiled ELF program all was well.* If I were going to

> use extensions, it would be .py or possibly .python, not .cgi or .pl.

I totally meant to have it be py instead of pl, I guess pounding away

at perl all day yesterday warped my mind.

It can have that effect )

As near as I can tell from the logs, my problems started during a re-emerge of
apache, not a new version (reasons unknown -- portage seems to be doing that
more than I'm used to). * I've started to wonder if I didn't just screw up the usual

config file stuff I do with dispatch-conf, not realizing zapping the new would be
best.* Anyway, I'm going to be exploring.

Do you have cgi working on apache2 (2.2.15), and if so, how things are arranged?

I'll be trying to make a cgi out of a hello world in C, to see if my current config
can CGI at all.* If not, I'll be trying to back out config changes.** What a mess!

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 08-05-2010, 05:29 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

I may have found the root of the problem: examine the following output of an eix query on apache, and note that the cgi stuff seems to be turned off in the installed version.

[i] www-servers/apache
**** Available versions:* (2) 2.2.14-r1 2.2.15
*** {apache2_modules_actions apache2_modules_alias apache2_modules_asis apache2_modules_auth_basic apache2_modules_auth_digest apache2_modules_authn_alias apache2_modules_authn_anon apache2_modules_authn_dbd apache2_modules_authn_dbm apache2_modules_authn_default apache2_modules_authn_file apache2_modules_authz_dbm apache2_modules_authz_default apache2_modules_authz_groupfile apache2_modules_authz_host apache2_modules_authz_owner apache2_modules_authz_user apache2_modules_autoindex apache2_modules_cache apache2_modules_cern_meta apache2_modules_cgi apache2_modules_cgid apache2_modules_charset_lite apache2_modules_dav apache2_modules_dav_fs apache2_modules_dav_lock apache2_modules_dbd apache2_modules_deflate apache2_modules_dir apache2_modules_disk_cache apache2_modules_dumpio apache2_modules_env apache2_modules_expires apache2_modules_ext_filter apache2_modules_file_cache apache2_modules_filter apache2_modules_headers apache2_modules_ident apache2_modules_imagemap apache2_modules_include apache2_modules_info apache2_modules_log_config apache2_modules_log_forensic apache2_modules_logio apache2_modules_mem_cache apache2_modules_mime apache2_modules_mime_magic apache2_modules_negotiation apache2_modules_proxy apache2_modules_proxy_ajp apache2_modules_proxy_balancer apache2_modules_proxy_connect apache2_modules_proxy_ftp apache2_modules_proxy_http apache2_modules_rewrite apache2_modules_setenvif apache2_modules_speling apache2_modules_status apache2_modules_substitute apache2_modules_unique_id apache2_modules_userdir apache2_modules_usertrack apache2_modules_version apache2_modules_vhost_alias apache2_mpms_event apache2_mpms_itk apache2_mpms_peruser apache2_mpms_prefork apache2_mpms_worker debug doc ldap selinux ssl static suexec threads}

**** Installed versions:* 2.2.15(2)(04:01:06 PM 07/13/2010)(apache2_modules_actions apache2_modules_alias apache2_modules_auth_basic apache2_modules_auth_digest apache2_modules_authn_anon apache2_modules_authn_dbd apache2_modules_authn_dbm apache2_modules_authn_default apache2_modules_authn_file apache2_modules_authz_dbm apache2_modules_authz_default apache2_modules_authz_groupfile apache2_modules_authz_host apache2_modules_authz_owner apache2_modules_authz_user apache2_modules_autoindex apache2_modules_cache apache2_modules_dav apache2_modules_dav_fs apache2_modules_dav_lock apache2_modules_dbd apache2_modules_deflate apache2_modules_dir apache2_modules_disk_cache apache2_modules_env apache2_modules_expires apache2_modules_ext_filter apache2_modules_file_cache apache2_modules_filter apache2_modules_headers apache2_modules_ident apache2_modules_imagemap apache2_modules_include apache2_modules_info apache2_modules_log_config apache2_modules_logio apache2_modules_mem_cache apache2_modules_mime apache2_modules_mime_magic apache2_modules_negotiation apache2_modules_proxy apache2_modules_proxy_ajp apache2_modules_proxy_balancer apache2_modules_proxy_connect apache2_modules_proxy_http apache2_modules_rewrite apache2_modules_setenvif apache2_modules_speling apache2_modules_status apache2_modules_unique_id apache2_modules_userdir apache2_modules_usertrack apache2_modules_vhost_alias doc ssl threads -apache2_modules_asis -apache2_modules_authn_alias -apache2_modules_cern_meta -apache2_modules_cgi -apache2_modules_cgid -apache2_modules_charset_lite -apache2_modules_dumpio -apache2_modules_log_forensic -apache2_modules_proxy_ftp -apache2_modules_substitute -apache2_modules_version -apache2_mpms_event -apache2_mpms_itk -apache2_mpms_peruser -apache2_mpms_prefork -apache2_mpms_worker -debug -ldap -selinux -static -suexec)

**** Homepage:*********** http://httpd.apache.org/

The installed version seems to have CGI turned off completely (notice "-" in installed version).* I cannot find any reason either in /etc/portage/package.use nor in /usr/portage/profiles or its subdirectories.

Is there someplace else to look?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 08-06-2010, 01:20 AM