Old 08-01-2010, 03:56 PM
James

Default baselayout upgrade

Ok,

I've been putting off migrating to baselayout-2;
since reading this:

http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-amd64@lists.gentoo.org/msg12251.html

From what I've googled, it can be a pain, but inevitable.
So is this the best/complete guide of information
I'll need?

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml

Any other information and recommendations is most appreciated,
before I begin upgrading about a dozen systems.....

James

Old 08-01-2010, 04:33 PM
James

James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> writes:

Here's a dev_debate that really muddies these
baselayout waters (at least from where I sit).

http://www.listware.net/201007/gentoo-dev/9517-gentoo-dev
-the-future-of-sys-appsopenrc-in-gentoo.html

Any discussion or guidance is welcome!

James

Old 08-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Mick

On Sunday 01 August 2010 17:33:20 James wrote:
> James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> writes:
>
> Here's a dev_debate that really muddies these
> baselayout waters (at least from where I sit).
>
> http://www.listware.net/201007/gentoo-dev/9517-gentoo-dev
> -the-future-of-sys-appsopenrc-in-gentoo.html
>
> Any discussion or guidance is welcome!

Like you I thought of going down this path, but held back because as time
passed openrc (and portage 2.2) have been masked for quite some time now. Now
that I see from your link that systemd may be another alternative I will
definitely wait, until something becomes stable.

Anyway, that's just my take on this matter - for many gentoo users being on
the latest baselayout is more important than what it is for me. I'm happy
when my systems work with minimum interference on my behalf so when I can help
it I avoid unnecessary migrations by staying on stable.
Mick

Old 08-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Sonntag 01 August 2010, James wrote:
> James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> writes:
>
> Here's a dev_debate that really muddies these
> baselayout waters (at least from where I sit).
>
> http://www.listware.net/201007/gentoo-dev/9517-gentoo-dev
> -the-future-of-sys-appsopenrc-in-gentoo.html
>
> Any discussion or guidance is welcome!
>

> James

if it works for you and there is nothing you miss then don't change anything.

I went down the bl2/openrc path a long time ago and there were some unpleasant
moments. But overall it was ok.

At the moment 'devfs' needs almost a freaking minute to start and I have no
clue why.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Alex Schuster

Volker Armin Hemmann writes:

> I went down the bl2/openrc path a long time ago and there were some
> unpleasant moments. But overall it was ok.

I had no trouble at all, but I may just have been lucky.

> At the moment 'devfs' needs almost a freaking minute to start and I
> have no clue why.

Strange, there does not seem too much be going on in there, just some
mounting of directories in /dev.
When you add a "set -xv" in the /etc/init.d/devfs script, you will get
debug output. So you can see where exactly something hangs.

Wonko