Old 07-31-2010, 05:11 PM
Joshua Murphy

Default OT: hard disk access and recovery impossible under linux ?

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 31 July 2010 16:33:18 Dale wrote:
>> Kacper Kopczyński wrote:
>> > Dnia 2010-07-31, o godz. 16:15:51
>> >
>> > Volker Armin Hemmann<volkerarmin@googlemail.com> ┬*napisa┼é(a):

>> > Well total space taken by bad blocks according to chkdsk is less than
>> > 1MB, windows is still able to access all data. Linux is only able to
>> > see partition table "for a while" - as you can see in dmesg.
>> >
>> > If firmware is broken then how it is possible that windows is able to
>> > use this disk?
>>
>> Maybe windoze is ignoring the problem? ┬*It's not like windoze has never
>> done that before right?
>>
>> Just a thought.
>
> Couldn't it be that the MSWindows partition has no bad blocks, while Linux
> does?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Mick

Not likely, though just looking at *how* it fails, if the data'd not
already been backed up, I'd hold at least a little hope that it's not
really a problem with the on-disk data, aside from what's been
corrupted since the problems started, but rather just the controller
and firmware. If I had a spare drive from the same batch, I'd swap in
the not-dying controller card and see if that got me anywhere. Since
the drive's already backed up, though... that one's a new paperweight
for the desk, and if the data's anything sensitive, physical
destruction of the drive's the way I'd go to 'secure' it before it
goes out with the trash.

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy

Old 08-08-2010, 04:19 PM
Mark Shields

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:

On Samstag 31 Juli 2010, Mick wrote:

> On Saturday 31 July 2010 19:04:47 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> > > Couldn't it be that the MSWindows partition has no bad blocks, while

> > > Linux does?

> > it is not about partitions.

> Please explain, I thought that bad blocks would coincide with some

> partitions.

because defectice partitions don't give you no sense errors nor do they give

you zero capacity errors. Read his dmesg.

┬*If the firmware/logic board is bad, you might be able to replace it with one from the same model. ┬*I've heard of some success from a coworker who took the logic board from a known good drive and put it on a HDD with good internals but a bad logic board, and it worked. ┬*That's if you need the data, that is.

- Mark Shields