Old 07-31-2010, 01:27 PM
Kacper Kopczyński

Default OT: hard disk access and recovery impossible under linux ?

Hi,

My problem is really strange - I can't access my hard drive from linux,
but it works from windows without problems. It has some bad blocks.

I'm trying to access it from rescuecd which seems to be based on
gentoo - so it's not totally off topic

Here is dmesg: http://capsel.inten.pl/disk/dmesg

cat /dev/sda gives no output, fdisk fails with "unable to
read /dev/sda". smartctl does not report model or serial, there is no
error log... hdparm shows "Invalid exchange" or
"Inappropriate ioctl for device", all commands failed.

What else can I do?

--
Kacper Kopczyński

Old 07-31-2010, 02:15 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag 31 Juli 2010, Kacper Kopczyński wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My problem is really strange - I can't access my hard drive from linux,
> but it works from windows without problems. It has some bad blocks.

it has a lot of bad blocks and a fucked up firmware it seems. No way it is
working 'without problems'.

> Here is dmesg: http://capsel.inten.pl/disk/dmesg
>
> cat /dev/sda gives no output, fdisk fails with "unable to
> read /dev/sda". smartctl does not report model or serial, there is no
> error log... hdparm shows "Invalid exchange" or
> "Inappropriate ioctl for device", all commands failed.
>
> What else can I do?

maybe ask kernel devs if there is a way to access the drive even with a
capacity of 0 to copy everything from it before you stuff it in the garbage
can?

Old 07-31-2010, 02:57 PM
Kacper Kopczyński

Dnia 2010-07-31, o godz. 16:15:51
Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> napisał(a):

> On Samstag 31 Juli 2010, Kacper Kopczyński wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My problem is really strange - I can't access my hard drive from
> > linux, but it works from windows without problems. It has some bad
> > blocks.
>
> it has a lot of bad blocks and a fucked up firmware it seems. No way
> it is working 'without problems'.

Well total space taken by bad blocks according to chkdsk is less than
1MB, windows is still able to access all data. Linux is only able to
see partition table "for a while" - as you can see in dmesg.

If firmware is broken then how it is possible that windows is able to
use this disk?

> > Here is dmesg: http://capsel.inten.pl/disk/dmesg
> >
> > cat /dev/sda gives no output, fdisk fails with "unable to
> > read /dev/sda". smartctl does not report model or serial, there is
> > no error log... hdparm shows "Invalid exchange" or
> > "Inappropriate ioctl for device", all commands failed.
> >
> > What else can I do?
>
> maybe ask kernel devs if there is a way to access the drive even with
> a capacity of 0 to copy everything from it before you stuff it in the
> garbage can?

Well.. I've backed up data from it already.

--
Kacper Kopczyński

Old 07-31-2010, 03:33 PM
Dale

Kacper Kopczyński wrote:

Dnia 2010-07-31, o godz. 16:15:51
My problem is really strange - I can't access my hard drive from
linux, but it works from windows without problems. It has some bad
blocks.

it has a lot of bad blocks and a fucked up firmware it seems. No way
it is working 'without problems'.

Well total space taken by bad blocks according to chkdsk is less than
1MB, windows is still able to access all data. Linux is only able to
see partition table "for a while" - as you can see in dmesg.

If firmware is broken then how it is possible that windows is able to
use this disk?

Maybe windoze is ignoring the problem? It's not like windoze has never
done that before right?

Just a thought.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 07-31-2010, 04:14 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag 31 Juli 2010, Kacper Kopczyński wrote:
> Dnia 2010-07-31, o godz. 16:15:51
>
> Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> napisał(a):
> > On Samstag 31 Juli 2010, Kacper Kopczyński wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > My problem is really strange - I can't access my hard drive from
> > > linux, but it works from windows without problems. It has some bad
> > > blocks.
> >
> > it has a lot of bad blocks and a fucked up firmware it seems. No way
> > it is working 'without problems'.
>
> Well total space taken by bad blocks according to chkdsk is less than
> 1MB,

1 block = 512byte. So you have ca 2000 bad blocks. That is A LOT.

> windows is still able to access all data. Linux is only able to
> see partition table "for a while" - as you can see in dmesg.
>
> If firmware is broken then how it is possible that windows is able to
> use this disk?

maybe they ignore things like a reported size of 0 and no sense.

> Well.. I've backed up data from it already.

then throw it away. That disk will fail completely soon.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:14 PM
Mick

On Saturday 31 July 2010 16:33:18 Dale wrote:
> Kacper Kopczyński wrote:
> > Dnia 2010-07-31, o godz. 16:15:51
> >
> > Volker Armin Hemmann<volkerarmin@googlemail.com> napisał(a):

> >> it has a lot of bad blocks and a fucked up firmware it seems. No way
> >> it is working 'without problems'.
> >
> > Well total space taken by bad blocks according to chkdsk is less than
> > 1MB, windows is still able to access all data. Linux is only able to
> > see partition table "for a while" - as you can see in dmesg.
> >
> > If firmware is broken then how it is possible that windows is able to
> > use this disk?
>
> Maybe windoze is ignoring the problem? It's not like windoze has never
> done that before right?
>
> Just a thought.

Couldn't it be that the MSWindows partition has no bad blocks, while Linux
does?

Mick

Old 07-31-2010, 06:04 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag 31 Juli 2010, Mick wrote:
> On Saturday 31 July 2010 16:33:18 Dale wrote:
> > Kacper Kopczyński wrote:

> > > Well total space taken by bad blocks according to chkdsk is less than
> > > 1MB, windows is still able to access all data. Linux is only able to
> > > see partition table "for a while" - as you can see in dmesg.
> > >
> > > If firmware is broken then how it is possible that windows is able to
> > > use this disk?
> >
> > Maybe windoze is ignoring the problem? It's not like windoze has never
> > done that before right?
> >
> > Just a thought.
>
> Couldn't it be that the MSWindows partition has no bad blocks, while Linux
> does?

it is not about partitions.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:32 PM
Mick

On Saturday 31 July 2010 19:04:47 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> On Samstag 31 Juli 2010, Mick wrote:

> > > Maybe windoze is ignoring the problem? It's not like windoze has never
> > > done that before right?
> > >
> > > Just a thought.
> >
> > Couldn't it be that the MSWindows partition has no bad blocks, while
> > Linux does?
>
> it is not about partitions.

Please explain, I thought that bad blocks would coincide with some partitions.
Mick

Old 07-31-2010, 07:14 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag 31 Juli 2010, Mick wrote:
> On Saturday 31 July 2010 19:04:47 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> > > Couldn't it be that the MSWindows partition has no bad blocks, while
> > > Linux does?
> >
> > it is not about partitions.
>
> Please explain, I thought that bad blocks would coincide with some
> partitions.

because defectice partitions don't give you no sense errors nor do they give
you zero capacity errors. Read his dmesg.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Kacper Kopczyński

Dnia 2010-08-08, o godz. 12:19:07
Mark Shields <laebshade@gmail.com> napisał(a):

> On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann <
> volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > from

> > able

> > > Please explain, I thought that bad blocks would coincide with some
> > > partitions.
> >
> > because defectice partitions don't give you no sense errors nor do
> > they give
> > you zero capacity errors. Read his dmesg.
> >
> > If the firmware/logic board is bad, you might be able to replace
> > it with
> one from the same model. I've heard of some success from a coworker
> who took the logic board from a known good drive and put it on a HDD
> with good internals but a bad logic board, and it worked. That's if
> you need the data, that is.
>
> - Mark Shields

After spending many hours on google it seems to me this is a bug in
firmware or seagate's firmware on barracuda discs likes to break itself
frequently.

Thank you for your help.

--
Kacper Kopczyński