FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Ivan
 
Default Mic on Skype

Hello list!

I have a problem with my microphone on Skype. In general the mic works.
I can record using `arecord -c2 > test.wav'. It also records if I type
arecord without -c2 option but the sound is *very* low. And the same
thing occurs when I try to make a Skype test call.

To my mind I should swap the left and the right channels of my mic.
I've tried to do this by adding these lines to my .asoundrc:

pcm.skype {
type route
slave.pcm "hw:0,0"
ttable.0.1 1
ttable.1.0 1
}

But it doesn't work.

My configuration:
Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP79 High Definition Audio (rev b1)
Build-in microphone
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.22.1.
Linux 2.6.34-gentoo-r2

Thanks for any suggestions.
--
Best,
Ivan
 
Old 07-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default Mic on Skype

On 07/31/2010 03:11 PM, Ivan wrote:

I have a problem with my microphone on Skype. In general the mic works.
I can record using `arecord -c2> test.wav'. It also records if I type
arecord without -c2 option but the sound is *very* low. And the same
thing occurs when I try to make a Skype test call.


Maybe you need to set your microphone to +24db in alsamixer and select
"mic" as input source instead of "line in."
 
Old 07-31-2010, 03:00 PM
 
Default Mic on Skype

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 17:41:33 +0300
Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:

> On 07/31/2010 03:11 PM, Ivan wrote:
> > I have a problem with my microphone on Skype. In general the mic
> > works. I can record using `arecord -c2> test.wav'. It also records
> > if I type arecord without -c2 option but the sound is *very* low.
> > And the same thing occurs when I try to make a Skype test call.
>
> Maybe you need to set your microphone to +24db in alsamixer and
> select "mic" as input source instead of "line in."
>
>

I don't have a choice what input source to use in alsamixer.
And all controls in alsamixer are maximized and not muted.
 
Old 07-31-2010, 04:18 PM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default Mic on Skype

On 07/31/2010 06:00 PM, ivan.kazbanov@gmail.com wrote:

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 17:41:33 +0300
Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@arcor.de> wrote:


On 07/31/2010 03:11 PM, Ivan wrote:

I have a problem with my microphone on Skype. In general the mic
works. I can record using `arecord -c2> test.wav'. It also records
if I type arecord without -c2 option but the sound is *very* low.
And the same thing occurs when I try to make a Skype test call.


Maybe you need to set your microphone to +24db in alsamixer and
select "mic" as input source instead of "line in."




I don't have a choice what input source to use in alsamixer.
And all controls in alsamixer are maximized and not muted.


Just mentioned it because that was the case for me. To see those
controls in alsamixer, you must press F4 first (just in case you're not
familiar with alsamixer).
 
Old 07-31-2010, 05:35 PM
Ivan
 
Default Mic on Skype

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 19:18:44 +0300
Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:

> On 07/31/2010 06:00 PM, ivan.kazbanov@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 17:41:33 +0300
> > Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@arcor.de> wrote:
> >
> >> On 07/31/2010 03:11 PM, Ivan wrote:
> >>> I have a problem with my microphone on Skype. In general the mic
> >>> works. I can record using `arecord -c2> test.wav'. It also
> >>> records if I type arecord without -c2 option but the sound is
> >>> *very* low. And the same thing occurs when I try to make a Skype
> >>> test call.
> >>
> >> Maybe you need to set your microphone to +24db in alsamixer and
> >> select "mic" as input source instead of "line in."
> >>
> >>
> >
> > I don't have a choice what input source to use in alsamixer.
> > And all controls in alsamixer are maximized and not muted.
>
> Just mentioned it because that was the case for me. To see those
> controls in alsamixer, you must press F4 first (just in case you're
> not familiar with alsamixer).
>
>

Yes, I see your point but this is not my case . My "Capture" and
"Digital" controls are maximized and aren't muted. Note that I'm able
to record something using `arecord'.

My laptop doesn't have a connector for external microphone. I think
that's why there is no control for choosing input source in alsamixer.
 
Old 08-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Ivan
 
Default Mic on Skype

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 19:35:49 +0200
Ivan <ivan.kazbanov@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 19:18:44 +0300
> Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:
>
> > On 07/31/2010 06:00 PM, ivan.kazbanov@gmail.com wrote:
> > > On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 17:41:33 +0300
> > > Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@arcor.de> wrote:
> > >
> > >> On 07/31/2010 03:11 PM, Ivan wrote:
> > >>> I have a problem with my microphone on Skype. In general the mic
> > >>> works. I can record using `arecord -c2> test.wav'. It also
> > >>> records if I type arecord without -c2 option but the sound is
> > >>> *very* low. And the same thing occurs when I try to make a Skype
> > >>> test call.
> > >>
> > >> Maybe you need to set your microphone to +24db in alsamixer and
> > >> select "mic" as input source instead of "line in."
> > >>
> > >>
> > >
> > > I don't have a choice what input source to use in alsamixer.
> > > And all controls in alsamixer are maximized and not muted.
> >
> > Just mentioned it because that was the case for me. To see those
> > controls in alsamixer, you must press F4 first (just in case you're
> > not familiar with alsamixer).
> >
> >
>
> Yes, I see your point but this is not my case . My "Capture" and
> "Digital" controls are maximized and aren't muted. Note that I'm able
> to record something using `arecord'.
>
> My laptop doesn't have a connector for external microphone. I think
> that's why there is no control for choosing input source in alsamixer.
>

For anyone who has a similar problem: the following trick works.
Add these lines to $HOME/.asoundrc

pcm.skype {
type route
slave.pcm "hw:0,0"
slave.channels 2
ttable.0.1 2
}

Then start Skype and go to Options->Sound Devices. Choose "skype(route)"
as a microphone. If the sound is too low (high) try to increase
(decrease) the last number at `ttable.0.1 2' string.

--
Best,
Ivan
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:37 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org