Old 07-30-2010, 02:59 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Ever since a recent update, vim misbehaves when run as root

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 6:43 AM, Bill Longman <bill.longman@gmail.com> wrote:

On 07/29/2010 08:58 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:

> 2) If you really really need the X-integration features, you can use the

> "xhost" command to enable all users on your machine to run X apps on

> your X session. *E.g. my machine is 192.168.123.249 so I ran...

> * xhost +192.168.123.249

> ...to allow a 32-bit QEMU-KVM guest to run an X program on the 64-bit

> host's Xwindows session.

What you probably want here instead is:

xhost +local:

then the X app is not limited to using only IP but can choose whichever

transport it deems best. Of course the usual safety caveats apply. If

others are on your host, they'll have X access. If you're concerned

about that, then just give root permission:

xhost SI:localuser:root

Thanks -- that was what I was trying to remember, so I just emerged it.

Looks like something I should be able to do in my .bashrc and just forget about.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 07-30-2010, 03:09 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

then the X app is not limited to using only IP but can choose whichever

transport it deems best. Of course the usual safety caveats apply. If

others are on your host, they'll have X access. If you're concerned

about that, then just give root permission:

xhost SI:localuser:root

xhost +local:
Thanks -- that was what I was trying to remember, so I just emerged it.

Looks like something I should be able to do in my .bashrc and just forget about.

Actually, it doesn't work.
kevin@treat ~ $ xhost si:localhost:root
localhost:root being added to access control listX Error of failed request:* BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
* Major opcode of failed request:* 109 (X_ChangeHosts)* Value in failed request:* 0xe
* Serial number of failed request:* 7* Current serial number in output stream:* 9

kevin@treat ~ $ xhost SI:localhost:rootlocalhost:root being added to access control list
X Error of failed request:* BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)* Major opcode of failed request:* 109 (X_ChangeHosts)
* Value in failed request:* 0xe* Serial number of failed request:* 7
* Current serial number in output stream:* 9kevin@treat ~ $

*
What's worse, the xhost man page refers me to Xauthority(7) which does not exist, and I did
not find it with a quick check by eix.

What did work was
* xhost +root@localhost

--