Old 01-18-2008, 09:17 AM
Helmut Jarausch

Default how to teach emerge -sync to sync packages?

Hi,

I haven't found out how to teach emerge to rsync
/usr/portage/packages
as well.
Both, /etc/rsyncd.conf on the server and
/etc/portage/rsync_excludes

only exclude distfiles.

There is no server problem, since an
rsync on the command line does fetch
packages, too

Many thanks for a hint,

Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Old 01-18-2008, 09:38 AM
आशीष शुक्ल Ashish Shukla

,--[ On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 11:17:32AM +0100, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I haven't found out how to teach emerge to rsync
| /usr/portage/packages
| as well.
| Both, /etc/rsyncd.conf on the server and
| /etc/portage/rsync_excludes
|
| only exclude distfiles.
|
| There is no server problem, since an
| rsync on the command line does fetch
| packages, too

Hmm..., can you give the command line what you use to sync binary
packages ? AFAIK, binary packages not available on Gentoo, except for
the packages on CD/DVD, hmm...? I tried rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage/
but there is not 'packages' directory present there .

TIA
--
Ashish Shukla आशीष शुक्ल http://wahjava.wordpress.com/

Old 01-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Freitag, 18. Januar 2008 schrieb ext Helmut Jarausch:
> Hi,
>
> I haven't found out how to teach emerge to rsync
> /usr/portage/packages
> as well.

This is not was emerge -sync is for. If you want to have _all_ distfiles
available locall, you have to setup a mirror. AFAIK this is also documented
somewhere.

HTH...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)162 234 3408
Wanheimerstrae 68 | Web: http://www.capgemini.com

Old 01-18-2008, 10:08 AM
Daniel Iliev

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:17:32 +0100 (CET)
Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I haven't found out how to teach emerge to rsync
> /usr/portage/packages
> as well.
> Both, /etc/rsyncd.conf on the server and
> /etc/portage/rsync_excludes
>
> only exclude distfiles.
>
> There is no server problem, since an
> rsync on the command line does fetch
> packages, too
>
> Many thanks for a hint,
>
> Helmut Jarausch
>
> Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
> RWTH - Aachen University
> D 52056 Aachen, Germany

For sure "emerge --sync" calls rsync with "--exclude packages" and I
don't know a "legal" way to change this behaviour.

If all you want is just to compile on one system and distribute
the compiled packages elsewhere through the network, there are two
methods that worked here with no problems:

1) export "packages" via nfs

2) setup an http server giving access to "packages" and declare it as
PORTAGE_BINHOST in make.conf at the client(s):

==
PORTAGE_BINHOST="http://example.com/packages/"
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="-g"
==

The second line tells emerge to use binary packages by default and
fallback to compilation if the requested pkg is N/A. This line should be
used in both cases.

HTH

--
Best regards,
Daniel

Old 01-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Helmut Jarausch

On 18 Jan, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> Am Freitag, 18. Januar 2008 schrieb ext Helmut Jarausch:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I haven't found out how to teach emerge to rsync
>> /usr/portage/packages
>> as well.
>
> This is not was emerge -sync is for. If you want to have _all_ distfiles
> available locall, you have to setup a mirror. AFAIK this is also documented
> somewhere.

No, I have a different situation.
I many several identical machines.
On the 'main' machine I have
FEATURES="buildpkg"
in /etc/make.conf

Then, from time to time I synchronize the other machines.
On these machines,
SYNC="rsync://<my main machine>/gentoo-portage

On the 'slaves' I do
rm -f /usr/portage/metadata/timestamp*
emerge --sync

and I'd like this 'sync' to rsync /usr/portage/packages,
as well, since lateron I do

emerge --update --deep --usepkg world

to avoid length compilation of packages on
each machine.

Currently I need
/usr/bin/rsync -avz --delete --exclude-from=/etc/portage/rsync_excludes rsync://<main machine>/gentoo-portage/ .
in addition to
emerge -sync

I just wonder if it's possible to tell emerge somewhere to not exclude
the 'packages' subdirectory.

thanks for all your comments,
Helmut.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Dale

Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> On 18 Jan, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
>
>> Am Freitag, 18. Januar 2008 schrieb ext Helmut Jarausch:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I haven't found out how to teach emerge to rsync
>>> /usr/portage/packages
>>> as well.
>>>
>> This is not was emerge -sync is for. If you want to have _all_ distfiles
>> available locall, you have to setup a mirror. AFAIK this is also documented
>> somewhere.
>>

> No, I have a different situation.
> I many several identical machines.
> On the 'main' machine I have
> FEATURES="buildpkg"
> in /etc/make.conf
>
> Then, from time to time I synchronize the other machines.
> On these machines,
> SYNC="rsync://<my main machine>/gentoo-portage
>
> On the 'slaves' I do
> rm -f /usr/portage/metadata/timestamp*
> emerge --sync
>
> and I'd like this 'sync' to rsync /usr/portage/packages,
> as well, since lateron I do
>
> emerge --update --deep --usepkg world
>
> to avoid length compilation of packages on
> each machine.
>
> Currently I need
> /usr/bin/rsync -avz --delete --exclude-from=/etc/portage/rsync_excludes rsync://<main machine>/gentoo-portage/ .
> in addition to
> emerge -sync
>
> I just wonder if it's possible to tell emerge somewhere to not exclude
> the 'packages' subdirectory.
>
> thanks for all your comments,
> Helmut.

I'm not sure this will help but have you checked rsyncd.conf? Mine has
this little bit in it:

[gentoo-portage]
path = /usr/portage
comment = Gentoo Portage tree
exclude = /distfiles /packages

May want to remove the excludes there. See if that helps.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 18 January 2008, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> On 18 Jan, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 18. Januar 2008 schrieb ext Helmut Jarausch:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I haven't found out how to teach emerge to rsync
> >> /usr/portage/packages
> >> as well.
> >
> > This is not was emerge -sync is for. If you want to have _all_
> > distfiles available locall, you have to setup a mirror. AFAIK this
> > is also documented somewhere.
>
> No, I have a different situation.

Have you looked at the various PORTAGE_RSYNC_* options in 'man 5
make.conf' ?

Alternatively you could just create a wrapper script (called say
emerge-world) which does the correct combination of your custom
commands, then run that from cron on the slaves

alan

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 01-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Dirk Heinrichs

Am Freitag, 18. Januar 2008 schrieb Helmut Jarausch:
> On 18 Jan, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 18. Januar 2008 schrieb ext Helmut Jarausch:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I haven't found out how to teach emerge to rsync
> >> /usr/portage/packages
> >> as well.
> >
> > This is not was emerge -sync is for. If you want to have _all_ distfiles
> > available locall, you have to setup a mirror. AFAIK this is also
> > documented somewhere.
>
> No, I have a different situation.
> I many several identical machines.
> On the 'main' machine I have
> FEATURES="buildpkg"
> in /etc/make.conf
>
> I just wonder if it's possible to tell emerge somewhere to not exclude
> the 'packages' subdirectory.

I wouldn't even use emerge for this. Just export /usr/portage on the main
machine and mount it on the others via NFS.

HTH...

Dirk

Old 01-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Helmut Jarausch

On 18 Jan, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Friday 18 January 2008, Helmut Jarausch wrote:

>> > This is not was emerge -sync is for. If you want to have _all_
>> > distfiles available locall, you have to setup a mirror. AFAIK this
>> > is also documented somewhere.
>>
>> No, I have a different situation.
>
> Have you looked at the various PORTAGE_RSYNC_* options in 'man 5
> make.conf' ?

Many thanks, that's it.

It says
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS = ...
Defaults to ... --exclude='/packages'

So I just have to reset this option or
(hopefully) just say
PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS='--include /packages'

in /etc/make.conf

Thanks again
Helmut.