Old 07-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Mick

Default Problems booting my server - ext2 - e2fsck

On 28 July 2010 09:50, KH <gentoo-user@konstantinhansen.de> wrote:

> I installed grub by connecting the hdd to my workstation. This did not
> change anything.
> Also I changed /etc/fstab . Now I have 0 0 for every partition. The pc
> boots fine now. I can use it but ... There is no /dev/hd* . Running
> mount /boot I get the answer /dev/hda1 does not exist. Also there is no
> /dev/sd*
>
> Any ideas?

KH, if you have changed the kernel to use libATA (i.e. the newer
SATA/PATA options) then you need to update your fstab from /dev/hdaX
to /dev/sdaX and change your grub.conf accordingly.

PS. When you install GRUB use tab completion to see what's available
and make sure you install it in the correct drive/partition.

PPS. Peter, I installed the kernel option for[*] ATA SFF support and
corresponding chipset (ICH) for my P4 and it now boots fine. So I
suggest that you use lshw to find which chipset you must activate
under ATA SFF (unless you have one of the more modern <*> AHCI SATA
support controllers like I have on my i7 Dell).
Mick

Old 07-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Bill Longman

On 07/28/2010 01:50 AM, KH wrote:
> Am 25.07.2010 15:57, schrieb Mick:

>>> And I would stand guard to make sure housekeeping doesn't come around.
>>> ;-) Cutting power during all this wold not be good.
>>
>> KH, I think that this may not be related to a fs error as such.
>>
>> Yes, pulling the plug may have caused fs corruption. However, more likely is
>> that pulling the plug did not allow you to do something that you should have
>> done after you finished upgrading to grub-0.97-r9. The latest installation of
>> grub asks you to reinstall in the MBR and point its root to wherever your
>> /boot is. GRUB's fs and its drivers may have changed and therefore the old
>> boot loader code is looking for files that no longer exist.
>>
>> So you'll probably be alright again if you boot with a fresh systemrescue
>> LiveCD and run grub and then root (hd....) and setup (hd0) before you quit and
>> reboot.
>>
>> If that doesn't work then you most likely have a fs problem.
>>
>> HTH.
>
> Hi,
>
> I installed grub by connecting the hdd to my workstation. This did not
> change anything.
> Also I changed /etc/fstab . Now I have 0 0 for every partition. The pc
> boots fine now. I can use it but ... There is no /dev/hd* . Running
> mount /boot I get the answer /dev/hda1 does not exist. Also there is no
> /dev/sd*
>
> Any ideas?

Konstantin, please post what your kernel has for IDE support. If you
have /proc/config.gz, then please post the results from "zgrep IDE
/proc/config.gz" so we can get an idea of why you have no /dev/hd*
devices. We will also need to know what kind of disk controller your
server really has. Are they IDE or SATA controllers?

Old 07-28-2010, 01:53 PM
Bill Longman

On 07/28/2010 06:42 AM, Mick wrote:
> On 28 July 2010 09:50, KH <gentoo-user@konstantinhansen.de> wrote:
>
>> I installed grub by connecting the hdd to my workstation. This did not
>> change anything.
>> Also I changed /etc/fstab . Now I have 0 0 for every partition. The pc
>> boots fine now. I can use it but ... There is no /dev/hd* . Running
>> mount /boot I get the answer /dev/hda1 does not exist. Also there is no
>> /dev/sd*
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> KH, if you have changed the kernel to use libATA (i.e. the newer
> SATA/PATA options) then you need to update your fstab from /dev/hdaX
> to /dev/sdaX and change your grub.conf accordingly.

But he doesn't even have those devices, so this will not do him any good
until we know how the kernel is configured (or not) and get the devices
back.

Konstantin, I'm assuming, from your original post, that you have not
changed your kernel in any way over the last few months. You said that
it was running fine for eight months but now after rebooting, you're in
trouble. Are you *sure* you haven't made any changes to the kernel? I'm
also assuming that you know that the kernel drivers for your disk
controllers should not be built as modules but built into the kernel so
that you don't need to go through creating an initramfs and hoping for
your devices to get populated.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Mick

On 28 July 2010 14:53, Bill Longman <bill.longman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/28/2010 06:42 AM, Mick wrote:
>> On 28 July 2010 09:50, KH <gentoo-user@konstantinhansen.de> wrote:
>>
>>> I installed grub by connecting the hdd to my workstation. This did not
>>> change anything.
>>> Also I changed /etc/fstab . Now I have 0 0 for every partition. The pc
>>> boots fine now. I can use it but ... There is no /dev/hd* . Running
>>> mount /boot I get the answer /dev/hda1 does not exist. Also there is no
>>> /dev/sd*
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> KH, if you have changed the kernel to use libATA (i.e. the newer
>> SATA/PATA options) then you need to update your fstab from /dev/hdaX
>> to /dev/sdaX and change your grub.conf accordingly.
>
> But he doesn't even have those devices, so this will not do him any good
> until we know how the kernel is configured (or not) and get the devices
> back.

I am not sure that he does not have those devices ... I don't know if
the error message is returned from grub or from the OS.

It could be that the kernel stanza is wrongly pointing to /dev/hda,
and, or fstab is not correct.
Mick

Old 07-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Bill Longman

On 07/28/2010 07:04 AM, Mick wrote:
> On 28 July 2010 14:53, Bill Longman <bill.longman@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> KH, if you have changed the kernel to use libATA (i.e. the newer
>>> SATA/PATA options) then you need to update your fstab from /dev/hdaX
>>> to /dev/sdaX and change your grub.conf accordingly.
>>
>> But he doesn't even have those devices, so this will not do him any good
>> until we know how the kernel is configured (or not) and get the devices
>> back.
>
> I am not sure that he does not have those devices ... I don't know if
> the error message is returned from grub or from the OS.
>
> It could be that the kernel stanza is wrongly pointing to /dev/hda,
> and, or fstab is not correct.

He says the "pc boots fine now" and he "can use it" and he goes on to
say that he has "no /dev/hd*" or "/dev/sd*" devices, so I have to
believe he's got a running system. Not having any /dev/hd* files would
support the error trying to mount /boot. Trying to fix /etc/fstab first
is not the way to attack his problem given the information we have now.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Mick

On 28 July 2010 15:27, Bill Longman <bill.longman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/28/2010 07:04 AM, Mick wrote:

>>> But he doesn't even have those devices, so this will not do him any good
>>> until we know how the kernel is configured (or not) and get the devices
>>> back.
>>
>> I am not sure that he does not have those devices ... I don't know if
>> the error message is returned from grub or from the OS.
>>
>> It could be that the kernel stanza is wrongly pointing to /dev/hda,
>> and, or fstab is not correct.
>
> He says the "pc boots fine now" and he "can use it" and he goes on to
> say that he has "no /dev/hd*" or "/dev/sd*" devices, so I have to
> believe he's got a running system.

Hmm ... he'll have to be able to hang his OS off some fs or other if
it is indeed working. Unless he's running some clever ramdisk, then I
would not reach the conclusion that he has a working OS.

> Not having any /dev/hd* files would
> support the error trying to mount /boot. Trying to fix /etc/fstab first
> is not the way to attack his problem given the information we have now.

Perhaps he passed the correct path to his grub and the boot sequence
fails when it tries to find the devices listed in fstab, so the OS
never completes booting.

Either way, hopefully the OP will shed some light to this rather than
us assuming more or less what might actually be the case.
Mick

Old 07-28-2010, 02:56 PM
KH

Am 28.07.2010 15:45, schrieb Bill Longman:
> On 07/28/2010 01:50 AM, KH wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I installed grub by connecting the hdd to my workstation. This did not
>> change anything.
>> Also I changed /etc/fstab . Now I have 0 0 for every partition. The pc
>> boots fine now. I can use it but ... There is no /dev/hd* . Running
>> mount /boot I get the answer /dev/hda1 does not exist. Also there is no
>> /dev/sd*
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Konstantin, please post what your kernel has for IDE support. If you
> have /proc/config.gz, then please post the results from "zgrep IDE
> /proc/config.gz" so we can get an idea of why you have no /dev/hd*
> devices. We will also need to know what kind of disk controller your
> server really has. Are they IDE or SATA controllers?

Hi Bill,

Now I am running 2.6.30-r8 but 2.6.34-r1 is ready but not jet copied to
/boot. btw it is a p3 coppermine.

This is the output from zgrep IDE /proc/config.gz .

CONFIG_HAVE_IDE=y
CONFIG_IDE=y
# Please see Documentation/ide/ide.txt for help/info on IDE drives
CONFIG_IDE_XFER_MODE=y
CONFIG_IDE_TIMINGS=y
CONFIG_IDE_ATAPI=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA is not set
CONFIG_IDE_GD=y
CONFIG_IDE_GD_ATA=y
CONFIG_IDE_GD_ATAPI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD_VERBOSE_ERRORS=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEACPI=y
# CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL is not set
CONFIG_IDE_PROC_FS=y
# IDE chipset support/bugfixes
CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPNP is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_SFF=y
# PCI IDE chipsets support
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_IDEPCI_PCIBUS_ORDER=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
# CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_MEDIA is not set
# CONFIG_VIDEO_OUTPUT_CONTROL is not set
# CONFIG_FB_TRIDENT is not set
# CONFIG_PROVIDE_OHCI1394_DMA_INIT is not set

I just tried /etc/init.de/udev resart . I am getting errors not to use
the script with baselayout-1 . The box is very slow now. Will reboot and
see what baselayout is on it.

Regards kh

Old 07-28-2010, 03:18 PM
KH

Am 28.07.2010 16:04, schrieb Mick:
> On 28 July 2010 14:53, Bill Longman <bill.longman@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> KH, if you have changed the kernel to use libATA (i.e. the newer
>>> SATA/PATA options) then you need to update your fstab from /dev/hdaX
>>> to /dev/sdaX and change your grub.conf accordingly.
>>
>> But he doesn't even have those devices, so this will not do him any good
>> until we know how the kernel is configured (or not) and get the devices
>> back.
>
> I am not sure that he does not have those devices ... I don't know if
> the error message is returned from grub or from the OS.
>
> It could be that the kernel stanza is wrongly pointing to /dev/hda,
> and, or fstab is not correct.

Hi Mick,

but typing ls /dev/hd* or ls /dev/sd* should show up something.
Shouldn't it? df -h shows /dev/hda3 is mounted on /
For me this is strange.

kh

Old 07-28-2010, 03:21 PM
KH

Am 28.07.2010 15:53, schrieb Bill Longman:
> On 07/28/2010 06:42 AM, Mick wrote:
>> On 28 July 2010 09:50, KH <gentoo-user@konstantinhansen.de> wrote:
>>
>>> I installed grub by connecting the hdd to my workstation. This did not
>>> change anything.
>>> Also I changed /etc/fstab . Now I have 0 0 for every partition. The pc
>>> boots fine now. I can use it but ... There is no /dev/hd* . Running
>>> mount /boot I get the answer /dev/hda1 does not exist. Also there is no
>>> /dev/sd*
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> KH, if you have changed the kernel to use libATA (i.e. the newer
>> SATA/PATA options) then you need to update your fstab from /dev/hdaX
>> to /dev/sdaX and change your grub.conf accordingly.
>
> But he doesn't even have those devices, so this will not do him any good
> until we know how the kernel is configured (or not) and get the devices
> back.
>
> Konstantin, I'm assuming, from your original post, that you have not
> changed your kernel in any way over the last few months. You said that
> it was running fine for eight months but now after rebooting, you're in
> trouble. Are you *sure* you haven't made any changes to the kernel? I'm
> also assuming that you know that the kernel drivers for your disk
> controllers should not be built as modules but built into the kernel so
> that you don't need to go through creating an initramfs and hoping for
> your devices to get populated.

Hi,

I tried booting 2.6.28 / 2.6.29 / 2.6.30 . The 30 series has not been
running on the box befor. Anyway the result is the same no matter which
kernel I am booting.
I use make oldconfig for uping the kernel.

kh

Old 07-28-2010, 03:27 PM
Bill Longman

On 07/28/2010 07:56 AM, KH wrote:
> Am 28.07.2010 15:45, schrieb Bill Longman:
>> On 07/28/2010 01:50 AM, KH wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I installed grub by connecting the hdd to my workstation. This did not
>>> change anything.
>>> Also I changed /etc/fstab . Now I have 0 0 for every partition. The pc
>>> boots fine now. I can use it but ... There is no /dev/hd* . Running
>>> mount /boot I get the answer /dev/hda1 does not exist. Also there is no
>>> /dev/sd*
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Konstantin, please post what your kernel has for IDE support. If you
>> have /proc/config.gz, then please post the results from "zgrep IDE
>> /proc/config.gz" so we can get an idea of why you have no /dev/hd*
>> devices. We will also need to know what kind of disk controller your
>> server really has. Are they IDE or SATA controllers?
>>

> Hi Bill,
>
> Now I am running 2.6.30-r8 but 2.6.34-r1 is ready but not jet copied to
> /boot. btw it is a p3 coppermine.
>
> This is the output from zgrep IDE /proc/config.gz .
>

> CONFIG_HAVE_IDE=y
> CONFIG_IDE=y
> # Please see Documentation/ide/ide.txt for help/info on IDE drives
> CONFIG_IDE_XFER_MODE=y
> CONFIG_IDE_TIMINGS=y
> CONFIG_IDE_ATAPI=y
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA is not set
> CONFIG_IDE_GD=y
> CONFIG_IDE_GD_ATA=y
> CONFIG_IDE_GD_ATAPI=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD_VERBOSE_ERRORS=y
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE is not set
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEACPI=y
> # CONFIG_IDE_TASK_IOCTL is not set
> CONFIG_IDE_PROC_FS=y
> # IDE chipset support/bugfixes
> CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC=y
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPNP is not set
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_SFF=y
> # PCI IDE chipsets support
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
> CONFIG_IDEPCI_PCIBUS_ORDER=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
> # CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV is not set
> # CONFIG_VIDEO_MEDIA is not set
> # CONFIG_VIDEO_OUTPUT_CONTROL is not set
> # CONFIG_FB_TRIDENT is not set
> # CONFIG_PROVIDE_OHCI1394_DMA_INIT is not set

I would expect to see:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX=y

in your configuration given that it's a Coppermine. You might want to
add that in the 2.6.30 and the 2.6.34 kernels, although DEV_GENERIC
should give you what you need, as you are probably using that right now.

Use "make menuconfig" to configure the kernel. Make sure it's "<*>" not
"<M>" for the PIIX controller and then rebuild and install the kernel.

Do you have "lspci" installed? The results from "lspci -v" would be very
helpful right now.

> I just tried /etc/init.de/udev resart . I am getting errors not to use
> the script with baselayout-1 . The box is very slow now. Will reboot and
> see what baselayout is on it.

Yeah, don't worry about this right now.