Old 07-28-2010, 02:44 AM
sam new

Default how to remove HAL

Hi All,
****** As we know, HAL is not used by Xorg for output devices or any other devices,so I want to remove it completely,I set USE="-hal" in /etc/make.conf ,and recompile* the packages, and also modify* /etc/conf.d/xdm with NEED_HALD="no" ,exec rc-update del hal default .All things goes well ,yesterday,I use emerge to update my world ,in the list still has a hal package, I don't know why system sitll emerge hal? maybe dependence ,but I use 'equery d hal' and* check packages which depend HAL ,have no idea ,any Suggestions?

*
*
*
*
best regards,
samnew

Old 07-28-2010, 05:01 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 28 July 2010 04:44:23 sam new wrote:
> Hi All,
> As we know, HAL is not used by Xorg for output devices or any other
> devices,so I want to remove it completely,I set USE="-hal" in
> /etc/make.conf ,and recompile the packages, and also modify
> /etc/conf.d/xdm with NEED_HALD="no" ,exec rc-update del hal default .All
> things goes well ,yesterday,I use emerge to update my world ,in the list
> still has a hal package, I don't know why system sitll emerge hal? maybe
> dependence ,but I use 'equery d hal' and check packages which depend HAL
> ,have no idea ,any Suggestions?

emerge -avuNDt world

to get a tree view of dependencies. That will should just what is causing hal
to be pulled in

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-28-2010, 08:05 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:44:23 +0800, sam new wrote:

> As we know, HAL is not used by Xorg for output devices or any
> other devices,so I want to remove it completely,I set USE="-hal"
> in /etc/make.conf ,and recompile the packages, and also
> modify /etc/conf.d/xdm with NEED_HALD="no" ,exec rc-update del hal
> default .All things goes well ,yesterday,I use emerge to update my
> world ,in the list still has a hal package, I don't know why system
> sitll emerge hal? maybe dependence ,but I use 'equery d hal' and
> check packages which depend HAL ,have no idea ,any Suggestions?

USE only affects optional dependencies. euse -I hal will list packages
that have a hal USE flag while emerge --depclean -pv sys-apps/hal will
show those that depend o it. If any appear i only the second list, they
probably have a compulsory dependency on hal. For example K3b shows up
like that here.

--
Neil Bothwick

Runtime Error: Out of funny taglines!

Old 07-28-2010, 01:34 PM
sam new

I use emerge -avuNDt world ,find out that is* gnome-base/gnome-mount-0.8-r1 ,and also check the ebuild that depends hal .but I mask it in the package.mask why still emerge gnome-mount and hal ,maybe gnome-mount depends hal,and others depends gnome-mount ,how can I do?

Old 07-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Alan McKinnon

I can't understand what you have typed.

Please run emerge -avuNDt world and post the entire output here.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

As we know, HAL is not used by Xorg for output devices or any
other devices,so I want to remove it completely,I set USE="-hal" in
/etc/make.conf ,and recompile the packages, and also modify
/etc/conf.d/xdm with NEED_HALD="no" ,exec rc-update del hal default
.All things goes well ,yesterday,I use emerge to update my world ,in the
list still has a hal package, I don't know why system sitll emerge hal?
maybe dependence ,but I use 'equery d hal' and check packages which
depend HAL ,have no idea ,any Suggestions?

You can not remove HAL if something needs it.

And why do you want to remove it in the first place? It's not gonna eat
your cat.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Mittwoch 28 Juli 2010, sam new wrote:
> I use emerge -avuNDt world ,find out that is gnome-base/gnome-mount-0.8-r1
> ,and also check the ebuild that depends hal .but I mask it in the
> package.mask why still emerge gnome-mount and hal ,maybe gnome-mount
> depends hal,and others depends gnome-mount ,how can I do?

you can't if you want to use gnome-mount and other gnome stuff.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 19:31:21 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> And why do you want to remove it in the first place? It's not gonna
> eat your cat.

Although it may kill your crew.

--
Neil Bothwick

I'm not closed minded, you're just wrong.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

And why do you want to remove it in the first place? It's not gonna
eat your cat.

Although it may kill your crew.

I think most people don't understand what X used HAL for. They think
that they can remove HAL and still have stuff like USB
hotplugging/automounting working. But that's wrong. Gnome/KDE use HAL
for this, not X. And if you disable HAL completely, that stuff will
stop working.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Andrey Vul

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 14:50, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:
> On 07/28/2010 08:23 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 19:31:21 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>
>>> And why do you want to remove it in the first place? *It's not gonna
>>> eat your cat.
>>
>> Although it may kill your crew.
>
> I think most people don't understand what X used HAL for. *They think that
> they can remove HAL and still have stuff like USB hotplugging/automounting
> working. *But that's wrong. *Gnome/KDE use HAL for this, not X. *And if you
> disable HAL completely, that stuff will stop working.

E.g. solid-hardware for HAL-mounting devices by uuid/volume-id.

I just got rid of policykit - too much trouble.
But I kept HAL because it's very useful.