Old 07-26-2010, 12:58 PM
pk

Default Fwd: Update of mozilla products (firefox, thunderbird, seamonkey) gone "bad"...

(seems like this message got lost somehow...)

Hi!

Yesterday I got an update of said apps (firefox, thunderbird, seamonkey)
so I updated them (see list of version and possibly related parts
below). Now all of them exhibit a strange phenomenon: Often, the window,
or parts thereof are not redrawn, just cleared, which makes it hard to
see web pages and mail. In order to force a redraw I have to resize the
app, which is annoying.

I run the latest ati binary ati-drivers-10.6 which ran fine with the
previous versions, so I don't think that's the problem.

Does anyone else see this problem or know the solution? It's only
firefox, seamonkey and thunderbird that exhibits this problem.

x11-libs:cairo-1.8.10:20100723-161942.log
x11-plugins:enigmail-1.1.2-r1:20100723-172804.log
www-client:mozilla-firefox-3.6.7:20100723-165946.log
www-client:seamonkey-2.0.6:20100723-165841.log
xulrunner-1.9.2.7-r1:20100723-163329.log
mail-client:thunderbird-3.1.1:20100723-172616.log

Portage 2.1.8.3 (default/linux/x86/10.0, gcc-4.4.3, glibc-2.11.2-r0,
2.6.34-gentoo-r2_SMP_PREEMPT_100717 i686)
System uname:
Linux-2.6.34-gentoo-r2_SMP_PREEMPT_100717-i686-Intel-R-_Core-TM-2_Quad_CPU_Q9550_@_2.83GHz-with-gentoo-1.12.13
Timestamp of tree: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 09:45:02 +0000
app-shells/bash: 4.0_p37
dev-java/java-config: 2.1.11
dev-lang/python: 2.6.5-r2
dev-util/cmake: 2.6.4-r3
sys-apps/baselayout: 1.12.13
sys-apps/sandbox: 1.6-r2
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.13, 2.65
sys-devel/automake: 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r4, 1.9.6-r3, 1.10.3, 1.11.1
sys-devel/binutils: 2.20.1-r1
sys-devel/gcc: 4.4.3-r2
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.1
sys-devel/libtool: 2.2.6b
virtual/os-headers: 2.6.30-r1
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA dlj-1.1 sun-bcla-java-vm"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=nocona -pipe -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /etc/X11/app-defaults/ /usr/share/X11/xkb
/usr/share/applications/ /var/lib/hsqldb"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d
/etc/env.d/java/ /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/revdep-rebuild
/etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/language.dat.d
/etc/texmf/language.def.d /etc/texmf/updmap.d /etc/texmf/web2c"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=nocona -pipe -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="assume-digests distlocks fixpackages news parallel-fetch
protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://trumpetti.atm.tut.fi/gentoo/
ftp://trumpetti.atm.tut.fi/gentoo/ http://ds.thn.htu.se/linux/gentoo
http://ftp.du.se/pub/os/gentoo ftp://ftp.du.se/pub/os/gentoo
http://mirror.pudas.net/gentoo http://distfiles.gentoo.org
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
LANG="en_US.utf8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed"
LINGUAS="en sv en_GB sv_SE sv-SE en_US"
MAKEOPTS="-j5"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times
--compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180
--exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage/layman/sunrise
/usr/local/portage/layman/science /usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi aim alsa ansi asf audiofile avi bash-completion
bcmath berkdb bitmap-fonts blas bzip2 bzlib cairo caps cdparanoia cdr
cli cracklib crypt cscope css ctype cups cxx dga divx4linux dlloader doc
dri dts dv dvb dvd dvdr dvdread emacs encode examples exif fbcon ffmpeg
fftw filepicker fits flac foomaticdb fortran freetype ftp gd gdbm gif
gimp ginac glitz glut gmp gnutls gphoto2 gpm gtk2 guile iconv icq
imagemagick imap imlib jabber java jpeg junit kerberos ladcca lapack
latex lcms leim libdts liblzo libwww lm_sensors mad matroska memlimit
mhash mime mjpeg mmap mmx mng modules mozilla moznopango mozsvg mp3 mpeg
mplayer mudflap mythtv ncurses nls nowin noxft nptl nptlonly ogg openal
openexr opengl openmp pam pcntl pcre pdf pdflib perl pic pie plotutils
png posix postgresql ppds pppd ptp2 python qhull quicktime readline
recode reflection restrict-javascript ruby sasl scanner schroedinger sdl
session shared sharedmem smp sndfile sockets sox speex spl sse sse2 ssl
svg sysfs sysvipc szip tcltk tcpd tetex theora threads tiff timidity
toolame truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts unicode usb v4l v4l2 vcd
videos vorbis win32codecs wmf wxgtk1 x264 x86 xanim xforms xine xorg xpm
xv xvid xvmc zlib zvbi" ALSA_CARDS="emu10k1" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm
alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug
ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route
share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias
authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default
authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi
cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter
file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime
mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir
usertrack vhost_alias" CAMERAS="canon" ELIBC="glibc"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse magellan" KERNEL="linux"
LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb
ncurses text" LINGUAS="en sv en_GB sv_SE sv-SE en_US"
RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18" SANE_BACKENDS="plustek" USERLAND="GNU"
VIDEO_CARDS="radeon fglrx vesa radeonhd" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd
pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition
tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset: CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, FFLAGS, INSTALL_MASK,
LC_ALL, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

Best regards

Peter K

Old 07-26-2010, 02:27 PM
pk

On 2010-07-27 01:58, Jake Moe wrote:

> I had a similar issue the other day with Thunderbird (I've been trying
> Chromium lately, so I can't comment on Firefox). I ended up changing
> drivers from fglrx to radeon, and the issue went away. I also was
> seeing a slow "redraw" of xterm windows when I switched desktops in
> FVWM; I could see the window being drawn from top to bottom. That too
> improved with the radeon driver. However, this is a new build (got a
> new work laptop the other day), so I can't comment on whether older
> versions of Thunderbird had similar issues.

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I've been waiting for the open source
drivers to mature so that I can rely on them for my needs (incl.
gaming). Perhaps it's time to check them out... But, again, since I've
been running the ati-drivers-10.6 for a couple of weeks without problems
(that includes previous versions of firefox, thunderbird and seamonkey)
and I upgraded thunderbird, firefox and seamonkey at the same time leads
me to think that something's changed within these apps (and I only have
this problem in those three apps)...

Best regards

Peter K

Old 07-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Alex Schuster

pk writes:

> Ok, thanks for the feedback. I've been waiting for the open source
> drivers to mature so that I can rely on them for my needs (incl.
> gaming). Perhaps it's time to check them out... But, again, since I've
> been running the ati-drivers-10.6 for a couple of weeks without
> problems (that includes previous versions of firefox, thunderbird and
> seamonkey) and I upgraded thunderbird, firefox and seamonkey at the
> same time leads me to think that something's changed within these apps
> (and I only have this problem in those three apps)...

Good luck. I have tried the radeon driver from time to time, but never had
any real success with it. Well, it is working now on one machine, but I
need TV-Out, and I have temporarily given up on finding out what's wrong
there, and stick to old kernel, old X and old ati-drivers that still
support this old card.
On my main computer, radeon drivers get better and better. That is, X now
starts, it even does 3D acceleration now, but it crashes when I move the
mouse pointer onto the KDE4 panel.

Wonko

Old 07-26-2010, 11:58 PM
Jake Moe

Old 07-27-2010, 11:00 AM
pk

On 2010-07-26 17:07, Alex Schuster wrote:

> Good luck. I have tried the radeon driver from time to time, but never had
> any real success with it. Well, it is working now on one machine, but I
> need TV-Out, and I have temporarily given up on finding out what's wrong
> there, and stick to old kernel, old X and old ati-drivers that still
> support this old card.
> On my main computer, radeon drivers get better and better. That is, X now
> starts, it even does 3D acceleration now, but it crashes when I move the
> mouse pointer onto the KDE4 panel.

Ok, good to know. Thanks to all who replied!

Best regards

Peter K

Old 07-28-2010, 11:36 PM
pk

If anyone else encounters this, I've found a solution to my problems:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI_Catalyst#Catalyst_10.6.2F10.7_:_black.2Fgrey.2 Fwhite_boxes.2Fartifacts_in_firefox.2Fthunderbird

http://phoronix.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-24323.html

Apparently it's the new 2D acceleration scheme that's buggy...

Best regards

Peter K