Old 07-25-2010, 06:30 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default KDE control center missing?

I'm using KDE 4 on Gentoo, and I want to add a few items to the "K" (application launcher) menu.
I thought the control center was the thing to use, and the online help manual says it should exist
on the "K" menu, or as the program "kcontrol".

It doesn't, and the list of files for "kcontrol" contains *no* files of that name, and only one directory
(under HTML) of that name.

So how to I run the darned thing?
--

Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 07-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Alex Schuster

Kevin O'Gorman writes:

> I'm using KDE 4 on Gentoo, and I want to add a few items to the "K"
> (application launcher) menu.
> I thought the control center was the thing to use, and the online help
> manual says it should exist on the "K" menu, or as the program
> "kcontrol".

That's how it was called in KDE 3, now it's "systemsettings". But you are
looking for "kmenuedit", in the kde-base/kmenuedit package.

Wonko

Old 07-25-2010, 06:56 PM
Dale

Alex Schuster wrote:

Kevin O'Gorman writes:

I'm using KDE 4 on Gentoo, and I want to add a few items to the "K"
(application launcher) menu.
I thought the control center was the thing to use, and the online help
manual says it should exist on the "K" menu, or as the program
"kcontrol".

That's how it was called in KDE 3, now it's "systemsettings". But you are
looking for "kmenuedit", in the kde-base/kmenuedit package.

Wonko

Or just right click on the "K" thingy and select "menu editor".

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 07-25-2010, 11:46 PM
Alex Schuster

Dale writes:

> Alex Schuster wrote:
> > Kevin O'Gorman writes:
> >> I'm using KDE 4 on Gentoo, and I want to add a few items to the "K"
> >> (application launcher) menu.
> >> I thought the control center was the thing to use, and the online
> >> help manual says it should exist on the "K" menu, or as the program
> >> "kcontrol".
> >
> > That's how it was called in KDE 3, now it's "systemsettings". But you
> > are looking for "kmenuedit", in the kde-base/kmenuedit package.
> >
> > Wonko
>
> Or just right click on the "K" thingy and select "menu editor".

Yeah, it's right there in K -> Programs -> Settings, but only because I
put it there, with kmenuedit.

Wonko

Old 07-26-2010, 12:54 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 01:46:23 +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:

> > Or just right click on the "K" thingy and select "menu editor".
>
> Yeah, it's right there in K -> Programs -> Settings, but only because I
> put it there, with kmenuedit.

Dale was referring to RIGHT clicking the K menu, which give a short menu
that includes Menu Editor. but I think this only appears if you have
selected the KDE-for-old-farts (AKA classic) menu layout.

--
Neil Bothwick

A wok is what you throw at a wabbit.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:06 AM
Dale

Neil Bothwick wrote:

Or just right click on the "K" thingy and select "menu editor".

Yeah, it's right there in K -> Programs -> Settings, but only because I
put it there, with kmenuedit.

Dale was referring to RIGHT clicking the K menu, which give a short menu
that includes Menu Editor. but I think this only appears if you have
selected the KDE-for-old-farts (AKA classic) menu layout.

Should be there for both. That was how I switched it to the old style.
I'm pretty sure the menu is the same for both. Then again, I have
updated KDE a couple times since then too.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 07-26-2010, 04:40 AM
Bill Longman

Or just right click on the "K" thingy and select "menu editor".

* * *

Yeah, it's right there in K -> *Programs -> *Settings, but only because I

put it there, with kmenuedit.

* *

*

Should be there for both. *That was how I switched it to the old style. *I'm pretty sure the menu is the same for both. *Then again, I have updated KDE a couple times since then too.

Dale

:-) *:-)

I see it on the new version (KDE 4).
--
Bill Longman

Old 07-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Alex Schuster

Neil Bothwick writes:

> On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 01:46:23 +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:
> > > Or just right click on the "K" thingy and select "menu editor".
> >
> > Yeah, it's right there in K -> Programs -> Settings, but only because
> > I put it there, with kmenuedit.
>
> Dale was referring to RIGHT clicking the K menu, which give a short
> menu that includes Menu Editor. but I think this only appears if you

> have selected the KDE-for-old-farts (AKA classic) menu layout.

Oh. I stupidly read this as 'just click right on the K thingy', meaning
'just do it', not 'use the right button'. Yes, it hast the menu editor,
even though I have the KDE-for-young-dudes menu layout active. Cool, never
did this before. Or did I? At least I know the option to switch to the old
menu style from somewhere.

Wonko