-   -   Problems booting my server - ext2 - e2fsck (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/403714-problems-booting-my-server-ext2-e2fsck.html)

KH 07-24-2010 07:57 PM

Problems booting my server - ext2 - e2fsck

Hi there,

my server was running strait for 8 month now. I did updates regularly
but still used an 2.6.2x kernel. Never switched it of. Now someone from
houskeeping pulled the plug for the vacuum cleaner ...

Anyway the box won't boot anymore. grub starts up. Kernel boots. Then
there is checking root file system (or something like that).The message
is that my ext2 file system can not be read. That I might want to try
the alternativ superblock by running #e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

Well, I put the hdd in an external usb and conected it to my
workstation. As I thought hda3 (is /dev/sde3) is an ext3 filesystem.
Also badblocks and e2fsck did not show any problem with the hdd.

/etc/fstab is corect (i hope), too.

What am I missing? How can I get the server running, again?

Regards

kh

Alan McKinnon 07-24-2010 08:21 PM

On Saturday 24 July 2010 21:57:38 KH wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> my server was running strait for 8 month now. I did updates regularly
> but still used an 2.6.2x kernel. Never switched it of. Now someone from
> houskeeping pulled the plug for the vacuum cleaner ...
>
> Anyway the box won't boot anymore. grub starts up. Kernel boots. Then
> there is checking root file system (or something like that).The message
> is that my ext2 file system can not be read. That I might want to try
> the alternativ superblock by running #e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
>
> Well, I put the hdd in an external usb and conected it to my
> workstation. As I thought hda3 (is /dev/sde3) is an ext3 filesystem.
> Also badblocks and e2fsck did not show any problem with the hdd.
>
> /etc/fstab is corect (i hope), too.
>
> What am I missing? How can I get the server running, again?

You said you ran e2fsck and it was OK. What was the command?

Normally with an e2fsck on a journalled fs, the app will replay the journal
and make a few minor checks. This takes about 4 seconds, not the 40 minutes it
takes to do a ful ext2 check.

I think you might need to fsck without the journal. I know there's a way to do
this but a cursory glance at the man page didn't reveal it. Maybe an ext user
will chip in with the correct method

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Alan McKinnon 07-24-2010 08:25 PM

James Wall 07-24-2010 09:46 PM

[...]

Run e2fsck -f /dev/hda3 to force check a partition. I have had to do
that when my kids yanked all the drives out of a server that I was
setting up. :-)

--
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large

Robert Bridge 07-24-2010 10:04 PM

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 9:21 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think you might need to fsck without the journal. I know there's a way to do
> this but a cursory glance at the man page didn't reveal it. Maybe an ext user
> will chip in with the correct method

"e2fsck -f" should run the full system check after replaying the journal.

RobbieAB

KH 07-25-2010 04:57 AM

Am 24.07.2010 22:21, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
> On Saturday 24 July 2010 21:57:38 KH wrote:
>> Hi there,
[...]
>> Anyway the box won't boot anymore. grub starts up. Kernel boots. Then
>> there is checking root file system (or something like that).The message
>> is that my ext2 file system can not be read. That I might want to try
>> the alternativ superblock by running #e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
>>
>> Well, I put the hdd in an external usb and conected it to my
>> workstation. As I thought hda3 (is /dev/sde3) is an ext3 filesystem.
>> Also badblocks and e2fsck did not show any problem with the hdd.
>>
>> /etc/fstab is corect (i hope), too.
>>
>> What am I missing? How can I get the server running, again?
>
> You said you ran e2fsck and it was OK. What was the command?
>
> Normally with an e2fsck on a journalled fs, the app will replay the journal
> and make a few minor checks. This takes about 4 seconds, not the 40 minutes it
> takes to do a ful ext2 check.
>
> I think you might need to fsck without the journal. I know there's a way to do
> this but a cursory glance at the man page didn't reveal it. Maybe an ext user
> will chip in with the correct method

Hi,

I ran on the two partitions e2fsck /dev/sde3 as well as fsck.ext3
/dev/sde3 . Yes, it only took some seconds.

Regards
kh

Sun Jul 25 07:30:01 2010