FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Alex Schuster
 
Default Problems booting my server - ext2 - e2fsck

Peter Humphrey writes:

> On Monday 26 July 2010 16:13:19 Mick wrote:
> > On 26 July 2010 15:11, Peter Humphrey <peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org>
> > wrote:
> > > So udev is wrong in saying CONFIG_IDE should not be set - on that
> > > old P4 box it has to be to get ICH4 drivers.
> >
> > Hmm, did you try ATA_PIIX, or PATA_MPIIX, or PATA_SCH?
>
> I've just tried it again now, to make sure, and the answer's "yes". I
> set all of those, and I tried adding PATA_OLDPIIX to see if it helped.
> It didn't, and neither did the others, so I'll have to go back to
> CONFIG_IDE.

Isn't there also some other SCSI stuff (which does not get selected
automatically), necessary to make the new ATA drivers actually work?

Wonko
 
Old 07-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Mick
 
Default Problems booting my server - ext2 - e2fsck

On Monday 26 July 2010 19:04:16 Alex Schuster wrote:
> Peter Humphrey writes:
> > On Monday 26 July 2010 16:13:19 Mick wrote:
> > > On 26 July 2010 15:11, Peter Humphrey <peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org>
> > >
> > > wrote:
> > > > So udev is wrong in saying CONFIG_IDE should not be set - on that
> > > > old P4 box it has to be to get ICH4 drivers.
> > >
> > > Hmm, did you try ATA_PIIX, or PATA_MPIIX, or PATA_SCH?
> >
> > I've just tried it again now, to make sure, and the answer's "yes". I
> > set all of those, and I tried adding PATA_OLDPIIX to see if it helped.
> > It didn't, and neither did the others, so I'll have to go back to
> > CONFIG_IDE.
>
> Isn't there also some other SCSI stuff (which does not get selected
> automatically), necessary to make the new ATA drivers actually work?

You mean:

Device Drivers --->
Generic Driver Options --->
<*> Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers --->[*] ATA SFF support

Symbol: ATA [=y]
Prompt: Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers

I also have a P4 but I haven't yet switched off the deprecated drivers. Will
have a go later in the week and see what gives.
--
Regards,
Mick
 
Old 07-26-2010, 11:56 PM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default Problems booting my server - ext2 - e2fsck

On Monday 26 July 2010 21:46:40 Mick wrote:
> On Monday 26 July 2010 19:04:16 Alex Schuster wrote:
> > Isn't there also some other SCSI stuff (which does not get selected
> > automatically), necessary to make the new ATA drivers actually
> > work?
>
> You mean:
>
> Device Drivers --->
> Generic Driver Options --->
> <*> Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers --->
>[*] ATA SFF support
>
> Symbol: ATA [=y]
> Prompt: Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers

I did have that selected, of course.

> I also have a P4 but I haven't yet switched off the deprecated
> drivers. Will have a go later in the week and see what gives.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on.

--
Rgds
Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.
 
Old 07-28-2010, 08:50 AM
KH
 
Default Problems booting my server - ext2 - e2fsck

Am 25.07.2010 15:57, schrieb Mick:
> On Sunday 25 July 2010 09:18:33 Dale wrote:
>> Alan McKinnon wrote:
>>> On Sunday 25 July 2010 06:57:43 KH wrote:
>>>>> You said you ran e2fsck and it was OK. What was the command?
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Normally with an e2fsck on a journalled fs, the app will replay the
>>>>> journal and make a few minor checks. This takes about 4 seconds, not
>>>>> the 40 minutes it takes to do a ful ext2 check.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> I think you might need to fsck without the journal. I know there's a
>>>>> way to do this but a cursory glance at the man page didn't reveal it.
>>>>> Maybe an ext user will chip in with the correct method
>>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> I ran on the two partitions e2fsck /dev/sde3 as well as fsck.ext3
>>>> /dev/sde3 . Yes, it only took some seconds.
>>>
>>> It's been a long time since I used ext3 so some of this might be wrong.
>>>
>>> An fsck that takes a few seconds is using the journal, which might not
>>> uncover deeper corruption. You should try disabling the journal (I
>>> couldn't find the way to do that though), but this will also work:
>>>
>>> Boot of a LiveCD, mount your root partition somewhere using type "ext2"
>>> and fsck it. This will invalidate the journal but that's OK, it gets
>>> recreated on the next proper boot. Let the fsck finish - it will take a
>>> while on a large fs.
>>>
>>> When done, reboot as normal and see if the machine boots up properly.
>>
>> And I would stand guard to make sure housekeeping doesn't come around.
>> ;-) Cutting power during all this wold not be good.
>
> KH, I think that this may not be related to a fs error as such.
>
> Yes, pulling the plug may have caused fs corruption. However, more likely is
> that pulling the plug did not allow you to do something that you should have
> done after you finished upgrading to grub-0.97-r9. The latest installation of
> grub asks you to reinstall in the MBR and point its root to wherever your
> /boot is. GRUB's fs and its drivers may have changed and therefore the old
> boot loader code is looking for files that no longer exist.
>
> So you'll probably be alright again if you boot with a fresh systemrescue
> LiveCD and run grub and then root (hd....) and setup (hd0) before you quit and
> reboot.
>
> If that doesn't work then you most likely have a fs problem.
>
> HTH.

Hi,

I installed grub by connecting the hdd to my workstation. This did not
change anything.
Also I changed /etc/fstab . Now I have 0 0 for every partition. The pc
boots fine now. I can use it but ... There is no /dev/hd* . Running
mount /boot I get the answer /dev/hda1 does not exist. Also there is no
/dev/sd*

Any ideas?

Regards kh
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:18 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org