Old 07-25-2010, 03:24 PM

Default Problems booting my server - ext2 - e2fsck

Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alan McKinnon wrote:

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I ran on the two partitions e2fsck /dev/sde3 as well as fsck.ext3
> >> /dev/sde3 . Yes, it only took some seconds.
> >>
> > It's been a long time since I used ext3 so some of this might be wrong.
> >
> > An fsck that takes a few seconds is using the journal, which might not uncover
> > deeper corruption. You should try disabling the journal (I couldn't find the
> > way to do that though), but this will also work:
> >
> > Boot of a LiveCD, mount your root partition somewhere using type "ext2" and
> > fsck it. This will invalidate the journal but that's OK, it gets recreated on
> > the next proper boot. Let the fsck finish - it will take a while on a large
> > fs.
> >
> > When done, reboot as normal and see if the machine boots up properly.
> >

> And I would stand guard to make sure housekeeping doesn't come around.
> ;-) Cutting power during all this wold not be good.

You don't need to invalidate the journal or mount ext2, just use -f if
memory serves, be sure the partition is unmounted and that will force a
full check.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 07-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 25 July 2010 10:18:33 Dale wrote:
> Alan McKinnon wrote:

[snip]

> > When done, reboot as normal and see if the machine boots up properly.
>
> And I would stand guard to make sure housekeeping doesn't come around.
> ;-) Cutting power during all this wold not be good.

Here in Africa we use pythons for that.

Real genuine live 10 foot snakes. In a terrarium of course.

Trust me, it takes about 30 seconds after the first housekeeping person sees
it until none of them goes anywhere near your stuff.

:-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 25 July 2010 17:24:46 covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> > > When done, reboot as normal and see if the machine boots up properly.
> > >

> > And I would stand guard to make sure housekeeping doesn't come around.
> > ;-) Cutting power during all this wold not be good.
>
> You don't need to invalidate the journal or mount ext2, just use -f if
> memory serves, be sure the partition is unmounted and that will force a
> full check.

Yes, -f does seem to be the right option. It's been ages since I used ext3 and
I have no real way to do a test, so I played safe. And the man page could be a
little more descriptive too, -f left me with more questions than answers.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-26-2010, 01:05 AM
Bill Kenworthy

On Sun, 2010-07-25 at 22:08 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Sunday 25 July 2010 10:18:33 Dale wrote:
> > Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > > When done, reboot as normal and see if the machine boots up properly.
> >
> > And I would stand guard to make sure housekeeping doesn't come around.
> > ;-) Cutting power during all this wold not be good.
>
> Here in Africa we use pythons for that.
>
> Real genuine live 10 foot snakes. In a terrarium of course.
>
> Trust me, it takes about 30 seconds after the first housekeeping person sees
> it until none of them goes anywhere near your stuff.
>
> :-)

I like the idea of pythons, as they swallow the prey whole its much less
messy than the redback spiders suggested for use here in West Oz ...
someone would have to clean up the bodies in the morning.

Must be a coincidence, didnt update the MBR after installing grub and
failed to boot this morning - though the signs are more like disk
failure - even the live CD isnt helping

Another job for tonight when I get home.

BillK

Old 07-26-2010, 10:54 AM
William Kenworthy

On Mon, 2010-07-26 at 09:05 +0800, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-07-25 at 22:08 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Sunday 25 July 2010 10:18:33 Dale wrote:
> > > Alan McKinnon wrote:
> >
> > [snip]

> > > And I would stand guard to make sure housekeeping doesn't come around.
> > > ;-) Cutting power during all this wold not be good.
> >
> > Here in Africa we use pythons for that.
> >
> > Real genuine live 10 foot snakes. In a terrarium of course.
> >
> > Trust me, it takes about 30 seconds after the first housekeeping person sees
> > it until none of them goes anywhere near your stuff.
> >
> > :-)
> >
> I like the idea of pythons, as they swallow the prey whole its much less
> messy than the redback spiders suggested for use here in West Oz ...
> someone would have to clean up the bodies in the morning.
>
> Must be a coincidence, didnt update the MBR after installing grub and
> failed to boot this morning - though the signs are more like disk
> failure - even the live CD isnt helping
>
> Another job for tonight when I get home.
>
> BillK

Fixed it - was grub after all - it renumbered my drives (0 and 1
swapped

Complicated because this was one of the early sata boards with a fake
raid chip to handle the sata while the old IDE drives were on the normal
bus.

Further complicated by the bios and raidchip changing drive assignments
depending on which drive/cd/floppy you booted from (i.e., what grub sees
as the drive numbers changes when the real OS is booted). I forgot what
hoops I had to jump through to get this going originally.

Might be time for a new setup - amd athlon 2500+ are not so cool these
days

BillK

Old 07-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Mick

On 26 July 2010 11:54, William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Fixed it - was grub after all - it renumbered my drives (0 and 1
> swapped
>
> Complicated because this was one of the early sata boards with a fake
> raid chip to handle the sata while the old IDE drives were on the normal
> bus.
>
> Further complicated by the bios and raidchip changing drive assignments
> depending on which drive/cd/floppy you booted from (i.e., what grub sees
> as the drive numbers changes when the real OS is booted). *I forgot what
> hoops I had to jump through to get this going originally.
>
> Might be time for a new setup - amd athlon 2500+ are not so cool these
> days

Glad you got it working! Another gotcha is when you disable the
deprecated CONFIG_IDE in the kernel and you don't update your
grub.conf and /etc/fstab to rename /dev/hda's into /dev/sda's.
Mick

Old 07-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Monday 26 July 2010 12:02:56 Mick wrote:

> Another gotcha is when you disable the deprecated CONFIG_IDE in the
> kernel and you don't update your grub.conf and /etc/fstab to rename
> /dev/hda's into /dev/sda's.

Drifting off topic somewhat, when I upgraded udev on my firewall box last
week I was told I shouldn't have CONFIG_IDE set, so I recompiled the
kernel without it and lo! a kernel panic during boot. And yes, I had
changed hdas to sdas.

So udev is wrong in saying CONFIG_IDE should not be set - on that old P4
box it has to be to get ICH4 drivers.

--
Rgds
Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Dale

William Kenworthy wrote:

Might be time for a new setup - amd athlon 2500+ are not so cool these
days

BillK

Mine still works well. Just have to blow out the dust every month or so.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 07-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Mick

On 26 July 2010 15:11, Peter Humphrey <peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Monday 26 July 2010 12:02:56 Mick wrote:
>
>> Another gotcha is when you disable the deprecated CONFIG_IDE in the
>> kernel and you don't update your grub.conf and /etc/fstab to rename
>> /dev/hda's into /dev/sda's.
>
> Drifting off topic somewhat, when I upgraded udev on my firewall box last
> week I was told I shouldn't have CONFIG_IDE set, so I recompiled the
> kernel without it and lo! a kernel panic during boot. And yes, I had
> changed hdas to sdas.
>
> So udev is wrong in saying CONFIG_IDE should not be set - on that old P4
> box it has to be to get ICH4 drivers.

Hmm, did you try ATA_PIIX, or PATA_MPIIX, or PATA_SCH?

Also, make sure you enable BLK_DEV_SR, for some reason I could get a
box to boot without it. The box in question is an ancient PIII
Coppermine!
Mick

Old 07-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Monday 26 July 2010 16:13:19 Mick wrote:
> On 26 July 2010 15:11, Peter Humphrey <peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org>
wrote:
> > So udev is wrong in saying CONFIG_IDE should not be set - on that
> > old P4 box it has to be to get ICH4 drivers.
>
> Hmm, did you try ATA_PIIX, or PATA_MPIIX, or PATA_SCH?

I've just tried it again now, to make sure, and the answer's "yes". I
set all of those, and I tried adding PATA_OLDPIIX to see if it helped.
It didn't, and neither did the others, so I'll have to go back to
CONFIG_IDE.

> Also, make sure you enable BLK_DEV_SR, for some reason I could get a
> box to boot without it. The box in question is an ancient PIII
> Coppermine!

Hmm. Not surprisingly, that didn't help either.

Thanks anyway.