Old 07-24-2010, 09:05 AM

Default KDE 4.4 Wallpapers

I use a slideshow as a wallpaper on a kde4.4 desktop. Every 20 minutes, a new
painting appear, scaled up to fit my display (1892x1392). They are .jpeg images,
600 pixels wide and up.
Some appear perfectly scaled up and nice looking while other are poorly
enlarged, very soft with squarish artefacts ? What give ? Does KDE use different
utilities to scale up wallpapers ? Any config I could work on to fix the problem
and get the same picture quality I use to get from good ole KDE 3* ?

--
~adj~

Old 07-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag 24 Juli 2010, alain.didierjean@free.fr wrote:
> I use a slideshow as a wallpaper on a kde4.4 desktop. Every 20 minutes, a
> new painting appear, scaled up to fit my display (1892x1392). They are
> .jpeg images, 600 pixels wide and up.
> Some appear perfectly scaled up and nice looking while other are poorly
> enlarged, very soft with squarish artefacts ? What give ? Does KDE use
> different utilities to scale up wallpapers ? Any config I could work on to
> fix the problem and get the same picture quality I use to get from good
> ole KDE 3* ?
>
> --
> ~adj~

more like some have content where you don't notice the artifacts. Or some are
much more compressed than others.

But seriously - 600 to 1892? That can not look good.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Albert Hopkins

On Sat, 2010-07-24 at 12:52 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> But seriously - 600 to 1892? That can not look good.

I was going to make the same comment, along with the obligatory "who
actually spends time looking at their wallpaper change?"

Nevertheless, I think you're on the mark. Such as significant scaling,
I'm not surprised. The OP should scaling them manually (inside an image
editor, e.g.)