Old 07-24-2010, 06:54 AM

Default Movies from phone and camera, using vlc and mplayer

I copy movies from my phone and camera to my computer and have
troubles playing them.

The camera produces .mov files which file says are Apple QuickTime
movie (unoptimized).

The phone produces .3gp movies which file says are ISO Media, MPEG v4
system, 3GPP.

I also download youtube .flv movies which file says are mostly MPEG v4
system, version 2, but once in a while are Macromedia Flash Video.

And people send me movies, or links to them, all sorts of types.

Sometimes vlc plays some better than mplayer, sometimes the reverse,
sometimes neither will play them, and sometimes, like most right now,
vlc plays audio but no video, while mplayer plays the video slowly,
perhaps 5 times as slow, maybe ten ... I don't always have the
patience to wait for its slow motion. If I use the left and right
arrows in mplayer, the sound syncs back up, but the video is still
much slower and quickly falls behind again.

The mplayer slow video is the most frustrating part. I like mplayer
better than vlc, usually, but the slowness is really frustrating and
it doesn't recognize half the keys it used to, such as [] to speed it
up and slow it down. I was hoping to see if that would get the video
speed back closer to the sound.

I sent some phone .3gp movies to a friend with Windows. Won't play.
Is there a decent way to convert them to something he can play?

Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@crowfix.com
GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933

Old 07-24-2010, 07:48 PM
KH

Am 24.07.2010 08:54, schrieb felix@crowfix.com:
> I copy movies from my phone and camera to my computer and have
> troubles playing them.
[...]
> The mplayer slow video is the most frustrating part. I like mplayer
> better than vlc, usually, but the slowness is really frustrating and
> it doesn't recognize half the keys it used to, such as [] to speed it
> up and slow it down. I was hoping to see if that would get the video
> speed back closer to the sound.

Hi Felix,

what kind of pc do you have? On my old laptop I have problems like that.
But this laptop has only 128MB Ram.

> I sent some phone .3gp movies to a friend with Windows. Won't play.
> Is there a decent way to convert them to something he can play?

Try ffmpeg or mencoder. Visit mplayers homepage for converting tutorial.
You might need to try a little.

Regards kh

Old 07-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Stroller

The camera produces .mov files which file says are Apple QuickTime
movie (unoptimized).

The phone produces .3gp movies which file says are ISO Media, MPEG v4
system, 3GPP.

I also download youtube .flv movies which file says are mostly MPEG v4
system, version 2, but once in a while are Macromedia Flash Video.

This is not an adequate way of identifying the files.

See my previous explanation of codecs and containers at:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/215196#215196

You should identify your files thus:

mplayer -vo null -ao null -identify -endpos 1 myfile.xyz

I sent some phone .3gp movies to a friend with Windows. Won't play.

Possibly not an ideal answer, but Quicktime Player has certainly
played back some .3gp movies here on my Mac. Your friend might try
installing that on his PC. VLC is also available for Windows.

Stroller.