Old 07-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Mick

Default Cairo XCB

I have seen messages similar to these:

* Messages for package x11-libs/cairo-1.8.10:

* You have enabled the Cairo XCB backend which is used only by
* a select few apps. The Cairo XCB backend is presently
* un-maintained and needs a lot of work to get it caught up
* to the Xrender and Xlib backends, which are the backends used
* by most applications. See:
* http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xcb/2008-December/004139.html
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

I noticed that:

$ euse -i xcb
global use flags (searching: xcb)
[+ D ] xcb - Support the X C-language Binding, a replacement for Xlib

local use flags (searching: xcb)
no matching entries found

which means that it's the default. What should I do with it, wait until the
default profile gets rid of it, or do something different?
Mick

Old 07-23-2010, 08:56 PM
David W Noon

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 20:50:01 +0200, Mick wrote about [gentoo-user]
Cairo XCB:

>I have seen messages similar to these:
>
> * Messages for package x11-libs/cairo-1.8.10:
>
> * You have enabled the Cairo XCB backend which is used only by
> * a select few apps. The Cairo XCB backend is presently
> * un-maintained and needs a lot of work to get it caught up
> * to the Xrender and Xlib backends, which are the backends used
> * by most applications. See:
> * http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xcb/2008-December/004139.html
[snip]
>which means that it's the default. What should I do with it, wait
>until the default profile gets rid of it, or do something different?

My take is that the warning is against writing new applications that
might use the XCB back-end. Unless you are writing expressly X Window
(i.e. low level) applications, just ignore it.

Dave [RLU #314465]
dwnoon@ntlworld.com (David W Noon)

Old 07-24-2010, 12:11 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 20:50:01 +0200, Mick wrote about [gentoo-user]

Cairo XCB:

>I have seen messages similar to these:

> * Messages for package x11-libs/cairo-1.8.10:

> * You have enabled the Cairo XCB backend which is used only by

> * a select few apps. The Cairo XCB backend is presently

> * un-maintained and needs a lot of work to get it caught up

> * to the Xrender and Xlib backends, which are the backends used

> * by most applications. See:

> * http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xcb/2008-December/004139.html

[snip]

>which means that it's the default. *What should I do with it, wait

>until the default profile gets rid of it, or do something different?

My take is that the warning is against writing new applications that

might use the XCB back-end. *Unless you are writing expressly X Window

(i.e. low level) applications, just ignore it.

Dave *[RLU #314465]

dwnoon@ntlworld.com (David W Noon)

I put -xcb in the USE variable of /etc/make.conf, and did an emerge -aDNvu.* Everything works,
and cairo no longer complains.* Ignoring it would probably have worked for me too, but it would have

left me worrying.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 07-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Mick

On Saturday 24 July 2010 01:11:23 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 1:56 PM, David W Noon <dwnoon@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 20:50:01 +0200, Mick wrote about [gentoo-user]
> >
> > Cairo XCB:
> > >I have seen messages similar to these:
> > > * Messages for package x11-libs/cairo-1.8.10:
> > >
> > > * You have enabled the Cairo XCB backend which is used only by
> > > * a select few apps. The Cairo XCB backend is presently
> > > * un-maintained and needs a lot of work to get it caught up
> > > * to the Xrender and Xlib backends, which are the backends used
> > > * by most applications. See:
> > > * http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xcb/2008-December/004139.html
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > >which means that it's the default. What should I do with it, wait
> > >until the default profile gets rid of it, or do something different?
> >
> > My take is that the warning is against writing new applications that
> > might use the XCB back-end. Unless you are writing expressly X Window
> > (i.e. low level) applications, just ignore it.
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dave [RLU #314465]
> > ================================================== ====================
> > dwnoon@ntlworld.com (David W Noon)
> > ================================================== ====================
>
> I put -xcb in the USE variable of /etc/make.conf, and did an emerge -aDNvu.
> Everything works,
> and cairo no longer complains. Ignoring it would probably have worked for
> me too, but it would have
> left me worrying.

Thanks guys.
Mick

Old 07-24-2010, 10:38 AM
pk

On 2010-07-23 20:37, Mick wrote:

> which means that it's the default. What should I do with it, wait until the
> default profile gets rid of it, or do something different?

You can disable xcb for cairo. Put -xcb after x11-libs/cairo in
/etc/portage/package.use. Although xcb will eventually replace xlib, for
some parts of X it's not mature yet (whether it's a poorly supported by
whatever uses it or lack of features in xcb itself)...

Best regards

Peter K