Old 07-23-2010, 01:35 AM
Bill Kenworthy

Default OT: lightspark flash player

Just saw a mention about the lightspark flash player. Is any one using
it and can comment on it being a viable replacement for adobe flash for
general web browsing? There is also some comment here
(http://lwn.net/Articles/389266/) on various linuc flash players.

I can test specific sites but hope that someone who has used it for
awhile can comment better, especially on limitations which are not
obvious from the website.

Gentoo specific: are there any x86 32/64 bit issues/differences?

troll ~ # esearch lightspark
[ Results for search key : lightspark ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

* www-plugins/lightspark [ Masked ]
Latest version available: 0.4.2_rc2
Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
Size of downloaded files: 239 kB
Homepage: https://launchpad.net/lightspark/
License: LGPL-3

Old 07-23-2010, 02:05 AM
Albert Hopkins

On Fri, 2010-07-23 at 09:35 +0800, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> Just saw a mention about the lightspark flash player. Is any one
> using
> it and can comment on it being a viable replacement for adobe flash
> for
> general web browsing? There is also some comment here
> (http://lwn.net/Articles/389266/) on various linuc flash players.

I tried it a couple of days ago and it failed on 2 of 2 of the sites I
tried it on. The first was the ubiquitous YouTube, and the second was a
site of my own that uses a small flash app for playing audio streams.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:30 AM
Paul Hartman

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 8:35 PM, Bill Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Just saw a mention about the lightspark flash player. Is any one using
> it and can comment on it being a viable replacement for adobe flash for
> general web browsing?

It seems to be in very early stages. So far there's no flash player
not made by Adobe that is compatible with modern Flash files.

The problem with any non-Adobe flash player is that they are always
going to be one step behind (same with Moonlight & Mono). And with
many sites requiring only the latest version of Adobe Flash Player, it
basically screws anyone who doesn't (or can't) use Adobe's player.

Flash is "open" but the source to adobe's Flash Player is not.
Hopefully someday they'll release it and let the linux community port
it instead.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:57 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Friday 23 July 2010 04:05:27 Albert Hopkins wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-07-23 at 09:35 +0800, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
> > Just saw a mention about the lightspark flash player. Is any one
> > using
> > it and can comment on it being a viable replacement for adobe flash
> > for
> > general web browsing? There is also some comment here
> > (http://lwn.net/Articles/389266/) on various linuc flash players.
>
> I tried it a couple of days ago and it failed on 2 of 2 of the sites I
> tried it on. The first was the ubiquitous YouTube, and the second was a
> site of my own that uses a small flash app for playing audio streams.

Same here. Installed it, can't get it to actually work.

Not even with YouTube.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-23-2010, 06:57 AM