Old 07-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

Default Impossible question... Swithcing from "no multilib" to "multilib"

On 07/22/2010 12:56 PM, Andrea Momesso wrote:

That's impossible, isn't it?

Swithcing profile and reemerging everithing isn't gonna work? Even from a
chroot?

Should I reinstall a new stage from scratch? Adobe stopped providing flash for
linux 64 bit, and I some of the sites I need to visit for work need it.
Mantaining a chroot is not worth the effort, so I really want to switch.

Thank you in advance.

emerge www-plugins/nspluginwrapper and this will make 32bit Flash work
in 64bit browsers.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Alex Schuster

Nikos Chantziaras writes:

> On 07/22/2010 12:56 PM, Andrea Momesso wrote:
> > That's impossible, isn't it?

I think so.

> > Swithcing profile and reemerging everithing isn't gonna work? Even
> > from a chroot?
> >
> > Should I reinstall a new stage from scratch? Adobe stopped providing
> > flash for linux 64 bit, and I some of the sites I need to visit for
> > work need it. Mantaining a chroot is not worth the effort, so I
> > really want to switch.
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
>
> emerge www-plugins/nspluginwrapper and this will make 32bit Flash work
> in 64bit browsers.

But only when the multilib profile is active. I do not know why this is,
and if there are _any_ hacks that might make this possible, but the Gentoo
AMD64 FAQ[*] states:

Warning: Currently you cannot switch from a no-multilib to a multilib-
enabled profile, so think over your decision twice before you use the
no-multilib profile.

Wonko
[*] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-amd64-faq.xml#multilib

Old 07-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 22 July 2010 10:19:21 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 07/22/2010 12:56 PM, Andrea Momesso wrote:
> > That's impossible, isn't it?
> >
> > Swithcing profile and reemerging everithing isn't gonna work? Even from a
> > chroot?
> >
> > Should I reinstall a new stage from scratch? Adobe stopped providing
> > flash for linux 64 bit, and I some of the sites I need to visit for work
> > need it. Mantaining a chroot is not worth the effort, so I really want
> > to switch.
> >
> > Thank you in advance.
>
> emerge www-plugins/nspluginwrapper and this will make 32bit Flash work
> in 64bit browsers.

Except when it doesn't :-)

It works for me, reasonably stable, but with much higher than expected cpu
usage.

Other users report not being so lucky, very much a case of YMMV

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Andrea Momesso

That's impossible, isn't it?

Swithcing profile and reemerging everithing isn't gonna work? Even from a
chroot?

Should I reinstall a new stage from scratch? Adobe stopped providing flash for
linux 64 bit, and I some of the sites I need to visit for work need it.
Mantaining a chroot is not worth the effort, so I really want to switch.

Thank you in advance.

---
TopperH

http://topperh.ath.cx

Old 07-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Andrea Momesso

On Thursday 22 July 2010 11:13:23 Alex Schuster wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras writes:
> > On 07/22/2010 12:56 PM, Andrea Momesso wrote:
> > > That's impossible, isn't it?
>
> I think so.
>
> > > Swithcing profile and reemerging everithing isn't gonna work? Even
> > > from a chroot?
> > >
> > > Should I reinstall a new stage from scratch? Adobe stopped providing
> > > flash for linux 64 bit, and I some of the sites I need to visit for
> > > work need it. Mantaining a chroot is not worth the effort, so I
> > > really want to switch.
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance.
> >
> > emerge www-plugins/nspluginwrapper and this will make 32bit Flash work
> > in 64bit browsers.
>
> But only when the multilib profile is active. I do not know why this is,
> and if there are _any_ hacks that might make this possible, but the Gentoo
> AMD64 FAQ[*] states:
>
> Warning: Currently you cannot switch from a no-multilib to a multilib-
> enabled profile, so think over your decision twice before you use the
> no-multilib profile.

Yeah, nspluginwrapper won't work for me, since I have a full no-multilib
profile.

And yes, I had read the AMD64 FAQs before installing, and I've been happy with
no-multilib for quita a while.
I still have adobe flash 10.0.45.2-r2 installed, but I understand it has serius
security problems, and I had to mask all higher versions.

BTW, is anybody aware of the technical reason why the switch of profile is
impossible? Can it be workarounded?

---
TopperH
http://topperh.ath.cx

Old 07-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:56:50 +0200 Andrea Momesso
<momesso.andrea@gmail.com> wrote:

> That's impossible, isn't it?
>
> Swithcing profile and reemerging everithing isn't gonna work? Even from a
> chroot?
>
> Should I reinstall a new stage from scratch? Adobe stopped providing
> flash for linux 64 bit, and I some of the sites I need to visit for work
> need it. Mantaining a chroot is not worth the effort, so I really want to
> switch.

The only time I had to do that I followed these instructions:

http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_AMD_64#Howto_switch_to_multilib

and it did work just fine (I'm writing from that computer now).

************ WARNING WARNING WARNING ************************

Take backups, consider that it might not work for you, etc.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:51 AM
"Walter Dnes"

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 01:37:27PM +0200, Andrea Momesso wrote

> And yes, I had read the AMD64 FAQs before installing, and I've been
> happy with no-multilib for quita a while. I still have adobe flash
> 10.0.45.2-r2 installed, but I understand it has serius security
> problems, and I had to mask all higher versions.

I had a similar situation. I use one Windows app, that runs in WINE.
WINE will not build without multi-lib support on a 64-bit install. I
ended up installing QEMU-KVM, and then a 32-bit Gentoo guest inside
that. Having done it once, the second time would be a lot easier. I
went with 10 gig "main" disk image, and a 2 gig swap disk image. A
quick rundown...

Remember to build qemu-kvm with the sdl USE flag if you want video.
Otherwise, it becomes a VNC-only server. You could tunnel X over that
if you want.

Also make sure that the host's kernel has tun/tap support built in.
Install dhcpcd in the guest, and let it take care of the IP address.

Create disks
============

qemu-img create -f raw g32_00_sda.img 10G
qemu-img create -f raw g32_00_sdb.img 2G

Boot the install CD image
=========================
By default, they come up as /dev/hdx for the install, and /dev/sdx
when booting from the latest kernel. "You can't get from here to
there". You cannot configure /etc/lilo.conf to boot from /dev/sda1 and
write it to the boot sector of what is currently /dev/hda1. Note the
weird parameters necessary to force the disk images to come up as
/dev/sda and /dev/sdb for the install.

The following is 1 long line

kvm -redir tcp:5555::22 -m 2048 -drive file=g32_00_sda.img,if=scsi,bus=0,unit=6 -drive file=g32_00_sdb.img,if=scsi,bus=1,unit=6 -cdrom gentoo32.iso -boot d

Start the guest after install
=============================
Do not be confused by the -hda and -hdb syntax, it actually comes up as
/dev/sda and /dev/sdb

kvm -localtime -startdate now -vga std -redir tcp:5555::22 -m 2048 -hda g32_00_sda.img -hdb g32_00_sdb.img -boot c

I selected "-vga std" for the video emulation. I suggest the
following 2 stps to generate maximum video resolution...
1) As root, run "X -configure" to generate an initial xorg.conf
2) Copy the horizontal and vertical sync settings from the host's
xorg.conf to the guest's xorg.cong

The "-redir tcp:5555::22" means that from the host, you can

ssh -p 5555 user@localhost

to ssh into the guest. Similarly...

scp -P 5555 fubar.txt user@localhost:.

will copy a file to account user on the guest. With dhcp, the guest
can ssh/scp to the host, using its actual address (in my case
192.168.123.249), or the name if you set up /etc/hosts.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 07-23-2010, 06:42 AM
Sebastian Beßler

I had a similar situation. I use one Windows app, that runs in WINE.
WINE will not build without multi-lib support on a 64-bit install. I
ended up installing QEMU-KVM, and then a 32-bit Gentoo guest inside
that. Having done it once, the second time would be a lot easier. I
went with 10 gig "main" disk image, and a 2 gig swap disk image. A
quick rundown...

Why the overhead using qemu when a chroot does the same? I use a 32bit
chroot inside my no-multilib 64bit-Gentoo and that works great.

Greetings

Sebastian

Old 11-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Valmor de Almeida

On 07/22/2010 03:14 PM, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 11:56:50 +0200 Andrea Momesso
> <momesso.andrea@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That's impossible, isn't it?
>>
>> Swithcing profile and reemerging everithing isn't gonna work? Even from a
>> chroot?
>>
>> Should I reinstall a new stage from scratch? Adobe stopped providing
>> flash for linux 64 bit, and I some of the sites I need to visit for work
>> need it. Mantaining a chroot is not worth the effort, so I really want to
>> switch.
>
> The only time I had to do that I followed these instructions:
>
> http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_AMD_64#Howto_switch_to_multilib
>
> and it did work just fine (I'm writing from that computer now).
>
> ************ WARNING WARNING WARNING ************************
>
> Take backups, consider that it might not work for you, etc.

Hello,

I've been using the no-multilib profiloe for sometime now and it's been
excellent. Until now that I have to use virtualbox and I am not able to
unmask it since I am in a no-multilib profile.

Has there been any change in a "safe" move from no-multilib to multilib?
Is the wiki info above the only thing to rely on? Alternatively, what
other options would I have?

Thanks for inputs.

--
Valmor