Old 07-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Jarry

Default SPF & sendmail: howto?

Hi,

I would like to integrate Sender Policy Framework (SPF) with my
MTA (sendmail), but can not find any documentation for dealing
with SPF, Sendmail & Gentoo.

I could install mail-filter/libspf2, but how can I make sendmail
use it? There are milters for SenderID, DKIM, or DK in portage
tree, but nothing for SPF...

Jarry

Old 07-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 21 July 2010 21:51:47 Jarry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to integrate Sender Policy Framework (SPF) with my
> MTA (sendmail), but can not find any documentation for dealing
> with SPF, Sendmail & Gentoo.
>
> I could install mail-filter/libspf2, but how can I make sendmail
> use it? There are milters for SenderID, DKIM, or DK in portage
> tree, but nothing for SPF...
>
> Jarry

I assume you have a perfectly legitimate reason for still using sendmail in
this day and age?

My advice is to migrate to postfix (best all-round MTA out there unless you
have special needs) and google again for the HOWTO. You will be pleasantly
surprised by the many many hits that come back.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-21-2010, 11:06 PM
"Jason Carson"

To enable SPF on outgoing mail all you have to do is create a SPF record
and put it in your /var/bind/domain.tld.hosts file, assuming your using
Bind.

That's all I did and when I send email to Google its says...

Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of jason@jasoncarson.ca designates
69.196.152.151 as permitted sender) client-ip=69.196.152.151;

I use Postfix and recommend you switch. If you want to filter incoming
mail with SPF then you have to configure some stuff in the
/etc/postfix/main.cf and /etc/postfix/master.cf files. Google it for the
way to do it.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:52 AM
Graham Murray

Jarry <mr.jarry@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to integrate Sender Policy Framework (SPF) with my
> MTA (sendmail), but can not find any documentation for dealing
> with SPF, Sendmail & Gentoo.
>
> I could install mail-filter/libspf2, but how can I make sendmail
> use it? There are milters for SenderID, DKIM, or DK in portage
> tree, but nothing for SPF...

There are a number of SPF milters that can be used, but (AFAIK) none of
them are in the portage tree. The one I use is sm-spf
(http://smfs.sourceforge.net/smf-spf.html).

Old 07-22-2010, 12:37 PM
"Mr. Jarry"

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:32 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I assume you have a perfectly legitimate reason for still using
sendmail in

> this day and age?

For ~10 years I've been a satisfied sendmail-user. Does it count for a legitimate reason?

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 1:06 AM, Jason
Carson <jason@jasoncarson.ca> wrote:
> To enable SPF on outgoing
mail all you have to do is create a SPF record

> and put it in your /var/bind/domain.tld.hosts file, assuming your using

> Bind.

I have it. But that is for other MTA's receiving mails from my one.
I want to use SPF for incomming mails too...

> I use Postfix and recommend you switch. If you want to filter incoming
> mail with SPF then you have to configure some stuff in the

> /etc/postfix/main.cf and
/etc/postfix/master.cf
files. Google it for the
> way to do it.

Thanks, but I'd prefer to stick with sendmail till the end of its days.
Or at least till the first usable sendmailX/MeTA1, whatever comes first...

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 7:52 AM, Graham Murray <graham@gmurray.org.uk> wrote:

There are a number of SPF milters that can be used, but (AFAIK) none of

them are in the portage tree. The one I use is sm-spf

(http://smfs.sourceforge.net/smf-spf.html).

Finally someone who does not suggest me to switch to other MTA!
btw, It is strange, there is a milter for SenderID (which iirc is in some way
close to Microsoft) in portage tree, but nothing for openSPF. I will try to

make an ebuild. Maybe there are still more "real unix admins" using
old'n'good sendmail. But no flame over "which MTA is better", please.
(anyway, we all know Sendmail is the best! :-)

Jarry

Old 07-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 22 July 2010 14:37:04 Mr. Jarry wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:32 PM, Alan McKinnon
<alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>wrote:
> > I assume you have a perfectly legitimate reason for still using sendmail
>
> in
>
> > this day and age?
>
> For ~10 years I've been a satisfied sendmail-user. Does it count for a
> legitimate reason?

Yes it does.

Most extant sendmail users in my experience have it because "it came with the
CD". Or they have a pointy haired boss who doesn't actually USE it, but
insists that the staff do.

Such folk are much better off with an alternate. I just needed to know which
camp you were in.

[snip]

> Finally someone who does not suggest me to switch to other MTA!
> btw, It is strange, there is a milter for SenderID (which iirc is in some
> way
> close to Microsoft) in portage tree, but nothing for openSPF. I will try to
> make an ebuild. Maybe there are still more "real unix admins" using
> old'n'good sendmail. But no flame over "which MTA is better", please.
> (anyway, we all know Sendmail is the best! :-)

Now you have your answer

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com