Old 07-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Alan McKinnon

Default lazy gcc switching

On Thursday 22 July 2010 02:03:15 Dale wrote:
> Alan McKinnon wrote:

> >> Might I suggest a small hardware upgrade:
> >> http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron6100/SR56x0/H8QGi-F
> >> .cfm
> >
> > Might I submit that that will be a tad difficult to squeez into this:
> >
> > # dmidecode | grep -B3 "Product Name"
> > Handle 0x0100, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
> > System Information
> >
> > Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
> > Product Name: XPS M1530
> > :
> > :-)
>
> Heck, the mobo most likely cost more than your whole laptop. Froogle
> reports over $700.00 for that thing. O_O I wouldn't want the light
> bill for that thing tho. I would like to see foldingathome running on
> it. LOL Gkrellm would be fun to watch.

Looks like a quad cpu, each one dual core. I've got one of those in the Data
Centre next door and each core is running that new fancy hyper-threading that
actually works:

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 15
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 26
model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5570 @ 2.93GHz
stepping : 5
cpu MHz : 1596.000
cache size : 8192 KB

$ free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 98996716 95962284 3034432 0 1855976 32633760
-/+ buffers/cache: 61472548 37524168
Swap: 4192956 0 4192956

$ top
top - 10:07:17 up 9 days, 10:01, 1 user, load average: 130.27, 134.99,
122.32
Tasks: 246 total, 1 running, 245 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
Cpu(s): 18.9%us, 0.5%sy, 0.0%ni, 29.2%id, 51.2%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.2%si, 0.0%st
Mem: 98996716k total, 96184800k used, 2811916k free, 1856248k buffers
Swap: 4192956k total, 0k used, 4192956k free, 32848132k cached

The grunt this thing has is unbelievable. Check the load - and the box is
still completely responsive. It runs a database of traffic through all our
routers so customers can check their traffic graphs going back 45 days.

On the old hardware we used to have to pamper the bloody thing and do a
juggling act with all the insert scripts. It was always running two hours
behind (on a good day). With this new baby, we just let it rip and ram data in
as fast as we can get it. It now runs 90 seconds behind :-0

Sometimes gigantic amounts of grunt are just the thing you need.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Bill Longman

On 07/22/2010 01:09 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Looks like a quad cpu, each one dual core. I've got one of those in the Data
> Centre next door and each core is running that new fancy hyper-threading that
> actually works:

It's quad CPU TWELVE core. Just putting four CPUs into the thing will
cost a small mortgage. Consider that the current 6-core 8000-series CPUs
cost about 3k $US, the Magny-Cours will bring a well-spring of cash
flowing out your pocketbook. But, yeah, that would be amazing to see how
many proteins you could fold in an hour....that would really add to my
numbers, (just past 1.5M last month). :-)

Old 07-22-2010, 07:49 PM
walt

Might I suggest a small hardware upgrade:

http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron6100/SR56x0/H8QGi-F.cfm

Hey, where's the parallel port for my Epson MX-80 printer?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-07-22, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/21/2010 03:18 PM, Bill Longman wrote:
>
>> Might I suggest a small hardware upgrade:
>>
>> http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron6100/SR56x0/H8QGi-F.cfm
>
> Hey, where's the parallel port for my Epson MX-80 printer?

Ah, quit whining. At least it has a serial port so you can hook up
your ASR-33 teletype.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm RELIGIOUS!!
at I love a man with

Old 07-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Bill Longman

On 07/22/2010 12:49 PM, walt wrote:
> On 07/21/2010 03:18 PM, Bill Longman wrote:
>
>> Might I suggest a small hardware upgrade:
>>

>> http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron6100/SR56x0/H8QGi-F.cfm
>>

> Hey, where's the parallel port for my Epson MX-80 printer?

You're aging yourself, Walt. Some of us have actually used these, let
alone know what they are.

And once Alan gets this puppy pried into his laptop chassis, I want to
see the power supply connector.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:32 PM
walt

Might I suggest a small hardware upgrade:

http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron6100/SR56x0/H8QGi-F.cfm

Hey, where's the parallel port for my Epson MX-80 printer?

You're aging yourself, Walt. Some of us have actually used these, let
alone know what they are.

Okay, I was exaggerating, but only slightly. My brother-in-law forcibly
took my Epson MX-100 away to an e-cycling place on the grounds that the
dust was aggravating his asthma. This happened about three months ago,
no kidding. (He forgot the parallel-port cable, though.)

Old 07-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-07-22, walt <w41ter@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/22/2010 02:04 PM, Bill Longman wrote:

>>> Hey, where's the parallel port for my Epson MX-80 printer?
>>
>> You're aging yourself, Walt. Some of us have actually used these, let
>> alone know what they are.
>
> Okay, I was exaggerating, but only slightly. My brother-in-law forcibly
> took my Epson MX-100 away to an e-cycling place on the grounds that the
> dust was aggravating his asthma. This happened about three months ago,
> no kidding. (He forgot the parallel-port cable, though.)

I still use a parallel port to connect to my HP laserjet 1300. I
think the printer also has a USB port, but I had a parallel cable left
over from my Epson LQ-1500 (24 pins for extra high-frequency noise!).

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm pretending that
at we're all watching PHIL

Old 07-23-2010, 07:28 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 22 July 2010 23:04:03 Bill Longman wrote:
> On 07/22/2010 12:49 PM, walt wrote:
> > On 07/21/2010 03:18 PM, Bill Longman wrote:
> >> Might I suggest a small hardware upgrade:
> >>

> >> http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron6100/SR56x0/H8QGi-F.c
> >> fm
> >
> > Hey, where's the parallel port for my Epson MX-80 printer?
>
> You're aging yourself, Walt. Some of us have actually used these, let
> alone know what they are.

I had an MX-80 too! Used it for years. Then I sold it to my boss at the time
for printing invoices and it's still running to this day (7 years later)

> And once Alan gets this puppy pried into his laptop chassis, I want to
> see the power supply connector.

Um, yeah, small problem with that. I went to chat to my facilities guys about
the power needs. We have to book out power so the UPS doesn't complain (I
blame it on the World Cup). His answer:

"You want HOW MANY fscking amps???!!!!!??? I have entire banking systems that
use less than that!!!!"

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com