-   -   xorg.conf and ATI 4350 card (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/401957-xorg-conf-ati-4350-card.html)

James 07-21-2010 02:46 AM

xorg.conf and ATI 4350 card

hello,

I can get X(kde 4.4) to start and run without a xorg.conf file
but at the wrong screen resolution. (1600x1200) instead
of 1920x1280, as it was before. Every attempt to
edit the old xorg.conf or roll a new xorg.conf with the new
2.6.34-gentoo-r1 kernel results in X that crashes.

Maybe somebody could post a minimal xorg.conf to set the resolution
only on the screen?

2.6.34-gentoo-r1
ati-drivers 10.6
xorg-x11 7.4-r1
xorg-server 1.7.6

James

Heorhii Valakhanovich 07-21-2010 05:24 AM

xorg.conf and ATI 4350 card

On 21.07.2010 5:46, James wrote:
> I can get X(kde 4.4) to start and run without a xorg.conf file
> but at the wrong screen resolution. (1600x1200) instead
> of 1920x1280, as it was before. Every attempt to
> edit the old xorg.conf or roll a new xorg.conf with the new
> 2.6.34-gentoo-r1 kernel results in X that crashes.
>
> Maybe somebody could post a minimal xorg.conf to set the resolution
> only on the screen?
>

> 2.6.34-gentoo-r1
> ati-drivers 10.6
> xorg-x11 7.4-r1
> xorg-server 1.7.6

Try to use xf86-video-ati. I never could use ati-drivers, it always crashes.

Daniel Troeder 07-21-2010 07:57 AM

xorg.conf and ATI 4350 card

On 07/21/2010 04:46 AM, James wrote:
> hello,
>

> I can get X(kde 4.4) to start and run without a xorg.conf file
> but at the wrong screen resolution. (1600x1200) instead
> of 1920x1280, as it was before. Every attempt to
> edit the old xorg.conf or roll a new xorg.conf with the new
> 2.6.34-gentoo-r1 kernel results in X that crashes.
>
> Maybe somebody could post a minimal xorg.conf to set the resolution
> only on the screen?
>

> 2.6.34-gentoo-r1
> ati-drivers 10.6
> xorg-x11 7.4-r1
> xorg-server 1.7.6
Try:
$ sudo aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf

(last argument optional, use "aticonfig --help" to see like 1000 more
options)

Daniel

07-21-2010 09:13 AM

xorg.conf and ATI 4350 card

James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> writes:

> hello,
>

> I can get X(kde 4.4) to start and run without a xorg.conf file
> but at the wrong screen resolution. (1600x1200) instead
> of 1920x1280, as it was before. Every attempt to
> edit the old xorg.conf or roll a new xorg.conf with the new
> 2.6.34-gentoo-r1 kernel results in X that crashes.

Why does it crash? What is the error?

> Maybe somebody could post a minimal xorg.conf to set the resolution
> only on the screen?

I have none handy, and mine uses magic instead, but you can try xrandr
and see if it allows you to switch to a larger resolution (even if the
mode isn't listed, read the output: it says what the maximum resolution
is --- if it is below 1920x1280, you're out of luck (unless the value is
bogus, of course)).

(But i don't know if ati binary drivers are compatible with
xrandr...)

--
Nuno J. Silva
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg

James 07-22-2010 08:58 PM

xorg.conf and ATI 4350 card

Daniel Troeder <daniel <at> admin-box.com> writes:

> $ sudo aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf

OK

That worked......

thx,
James