Old 07-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Robert Bridge

Default (II) NV(0): Setting screen physical size to 508 x 317

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Erik <esigra@gmail.com> wrote:
> (There are other issues with this video device; it shows only 25 80
> characters in the virtual terminals (should be 75 240). This is the
> new Dell vostro|1720 from November, that replaced the old INSPIRON|8600
> aquired 5 years earlier, with radeon driver. That old device worked fine
> without any configuration files. The physical screen size was detected
> and the virtual kernel output switched to 75 240 characters as soon as
> the device was detected.)

Hi Erik,

It would help if you actually told us which driver you are using, and
what the actual hardware is. I'm guessing it's an nVidia card in the
new laptop, and some form of ATI card in the old one. It sounds like
the driver is over-riding the xorg.conf with (incorrect) readings it's
getting from the EDID for the display.

Cheers,
RobbieAB.