Old 07-15-2010, 11:34 AM
Xi Shen

Default openvz kernel and ext4

hi,

i emerged the openvz kernel, and compiled the kernel with ext4dev/ext4
file system support. but when i tried to boot my system, i got a
kernel panic. it says cannot mount my ext4 root, because it is not
marked ok to use with test code.

my root is at a ext4 file system, and i think the ext4dev/ext4 kernel
compile option would allow me to use both ext4 and ext4dev features,
am i wrong?

i do not want to use ext4dev on my root, neither do i want to
downgrade to ext3. is there a way to fix this?

--
Best Regards,
Xi Shen (David)

http://twitter.com/davidshen84/

Old 07-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Albert Hopkins

On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 19:34 +0800, Xi Shen wrote:
> i emerged the openvz kernel, and compiled the kernel with ext4dev/ext4
> file system support. but when i tried to boot my system, i got a
> kernel panic. it says cannot mount my ext4 root, because it is not
> marked ok to use with test code.
>
> my root is at a ext4 file system, and i think the ext4dev/ext4 kernel
> compile option would allow me to use both ext4 and ext4dev features,
> am i wrong?
>
> i do not want to use ext4dev on my root, neither do i want to
> downgrade to ext3. is there a way to fix this?

You don't need ext4dev. ext4dev is old and, unless you've used it
before, there's no need to use it today. I'm guessing that's giving you
that error (that's an old error). It's easy to fix though (do a Google
search for the error). But it should not even occur if you've never
used ext4dev, IIRC.

-a

Old 07-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Xi Shen

sure, i do not need ext4dev, i want to use ext4 only. but i did not
find a compile option for ext4, i only find a option for ext4dev/ext4.

the openvz i emerged is 2.6.27.6.1, which is the latest stable
version. is it too old? should i try newer unstable version?

Old 07-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Kyle Bader

Ext4 was very new around 2.6.27,. The kenel is likely refusing to
mount the filesystem because the kernel driver is experimental (old)
and the filesystem was created when a different kernel was loaded (non
experimental ext4). Using the old driver could compromise the
integrity so the kernel refuses. You might have better luck with a
more recent kernel.

On 7/15/10, Xi Shen <davidshen84@googlemail.com> wrote:
> sure, i do not need ext4dev, i want to use ext4 only. but i did not
> find a compile option for ext4, i only find a option for ext4dev/ext4.
>
> the openvz i emerged is 2.6.27.6.1, which is the latest stable
> version. is it too old? should i try newer unstable version?
>

> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 7:40 PM, Albert Hopkins <marduk@letterboxes.org>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 19:34 +0800, Xi Shen wrote:
>>> i emerged the openvz kernel, and compiled the kernel with ext4dev/ext4
>>> file system support. but when i tried to boot my system, i got a
>>> kernel panic. it says cannot mount my ext4 root, because it is not
>>> marked ok to use with test code.
>>>
>>> my root is at a ext4 file system, and i think the ext4dev/ext4 kernel
>>> compile option would allow me to use both ext4 and ext4dev features,
>>> am i wrong?
>>>
>>> i do not want to use ext4dev on my root, neither do i want to
>>> downgrade to ext3. is there a way to fix this?
>>
>> You don't need ext4dev. *ext4dev is old and, unless you've used it
>> before, there's no need to use it today. *I'm guessing that's giving you
>> that error (that's an old error). *It's easy to fix though (do a Google
>> search for the error). *But it should not even occur if you've never
>> used ext4dev, IIRC.
>>
>> -a
>>

> --
> Best Regards,
> Xi Shen (David)
>
> http://twitter.com/davidshen84/

--
Sent from my mobile device

Kyle

Old 07-16-2010, 01:00 AM
Xi Shen

from http://gentoo-portage.com/sys-kernel/openvz-sources, i see that
openvz-sources-2.6.27.6.1 is already the latest stable version, and
the other 2 newer versions are hard masked.

does anybody know how stable these masked version are?