Old 07-14-2010, 09:28 PM
Jorge Almeida

Default bash blinking

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 8:44 PM, Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@unlimitedmail.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:35:43 +0100 Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> How can I prevent bash of blinking when running "ls -l" on a directory
>> with broken links? The thing gets in the way, and it is really
>> unbearable if a directory contains lots of broken links. I didn't
>> manage to google my way around this problem. Maybe some other package
>> has to be reconfigured...
>
> Look into /etc/DIR_COLORS
>
> According to these codes:
>
> # Below are the color init strings for the basic file types. A color init
> # string consists of one or more of the following numeric codes:
> # Attribute codes:
> # 00=none 01=bold 04=underscore 05=blink 07=reverse 08=concealed
> # Text color codes:
> # 30=black 31=red 32=green 33=yellow 34=blue 35=magenta 36=cyan 37=white
> # Background color codes:
> # 40=black 41=red 42=green 43=yellow 44=blue 45=magenta 46=cyan 47=white
>
> I have
>
> ORPHAN 01;05;37;41 *# orphaned syminks
> MISSING 01;05;37;41 # ... and the files they point to
>
> So you probably want to change the 05 into something else or remove it.
> Just experiment and to test it do
>
> eval `dircolors -b /etc/DIR_COLORS`

Thank you _a lot_

The nightmare is over!

Jorge

Old 07-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:35:43 +0100, Jorge Almeida wrote:

> How can I prevent bash of blinking when running "ls -l" on a directory
> with broken links? The thing gets in the way, and it is really
> unbearable if a directory contains lots of broken links.

Isn't that rather like fixing low oil pressure in your car by
disconnecting the warning light? What you want is possible, you already
have the answer, but maybe "emerge app-misc/symlinks" is a better
solution.

--
Neil Bothwick

If God can't help you, how about Mr. Coffee?

Old 07-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 14 July 2010 23:52:24 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:35:43 +0100, Jorge Almeida wrote:
> > How can I prevent bash of blinking when running "ls -l" on a directory
> > with broken links? The thing gets in the way, and it is really
> > unbearable if a directory contains lots of broken links.
>
> Isn't that rather like fixing low oil pressure in your car by
> disconnecting the warning light? What you want is possible, you already
> have the answer, but maybe "emerge app-misc/symlinks" is a better
> solution.

He's moaning about the indiscriminate use of the <blink> tag.

And quite rightly too. Stick it in one of your own personal web pages and
watch everyone here eviscerate you for such a heinous crime against humanity.

Besides, when the bloody thing blinks off, it's black on black. Totally
unreadable.

White on red is good for broken symlinks.
Blinking white on red is just awful. awful as in voldemort-awful.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 00:04:08 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 July 2010 23:52:24 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:35:43 +0100, Jorge Almeida wrote:
> > > How can I prevent bash of blinking when running "ls -l" on a
> > > directory with broken links? The thing gets in the way, and it is
> > > really unbearable if a directory contains lots of broken links.
> >
> > Isn't that rather like fixing low oil pressure in your car by
> > disconnecting the warning light? What you want is possible, you
> > already have the answer, but maybe "emerge app-misc/symlinks" is a
> > better solution.
>
> He's moaning about the indiscriminate use of the <blink> tag.
>
> And quite rightly too. Stick it in one of your own personal web pages
> and watch everyone here eviscerate you for such a heinous crime against
> humanity.

Agreed, but when a directory "contains lots of broken links", maybe it's
better to fix the problem than the warning.

--
Neil Bothwick

Joystick: (n.) a device essential for performing business tasks and
training exercises esp. favored by pilots, tank commanders, riverboat
gamblers, and medieval warlords.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:25 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Wednesday 14 July 2010 20:35:43 Jorge Almeida wrote:
> How can I prevent bash of blinking when running "ls -l" on a
> directory with broken links? The thing gets in the way, and it is
> really unbearable if a directory contains lots of broken links. I
> didn't manage to google my way around this problem. Maybe some other
> package has to be reconfigured...

$ clear

--
Rgds
Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:03 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 15 July 2010 04:25:25 Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 July 2010 20:35:43 Jorge Almeida wrote:
> > How can I prevent bash of blinking when running "ls -l" on a
> > directory with broken links? The thing gets in the way, and it is
> > really unbearable if a directory contains lots of broken links. I
> > didn't manage to google my way around this problem. Maybe some other
> > package has to be reconfigured...
>
> $ clear

Clear clears the screen and resets the prompt to top left. It does nothing to
change the configured color scheme in DIR_COLORS

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Thursday 15 July 2010 09:03:41 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Thursday 15 July 2010 04:25:25 Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > On Wednesday 14 July 2010 20:35:43 Jorge Almeida wrote:
> > > How can I prevent bash of blinking when running "ls -l" on a
> > > directory with broken links? The thing gets in the way, and it is
> > > really unbearable if a directory contains lots of broken links. I
> > > didn't manage to google my way around this problem. Maybe some
> > > other package has to be reconfigured...
> >
> > $ clear
>
> Clear clears the screen and resets the prompt to top left. It does
> nothing to change the configured color scheme in DIR_COLORS

No, and it seems I misread the question. The operative word was
"prevent", whereas what I offered was a recovery. Must pay more
attention.