Old 07-14-2010, 07:35 PM
Jorge Almeida

Default bash blinking

How can I prevent bash of blinking when running "ls -l" on a directory
with broken links? The thing gets in the way, and it is really
unbearable if a directory contains lots of broken links. I didn't
manage to google my way around this problem. Maybe some other package
has to be reconfigured...

Thanks for any hint on how to kill this nasty pest.

Jorge Almeida

Old 07-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:35:43 +0100 Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@gmail.com>
wrote:

> How can I prevent bash of blinking when running "ls -l" on a directory
> with broken links? The thing gets in the way, and it is really
> unbearable if a directory contains lots of broken links. I didn't
> manage to google my way around this problem. Maybe some other package
> has to be reconfigured...

Look into /etc/DIR_COLORS

According to these codes:

# Below are the color init strings for the basic file types. A color init
# string consists of one or more of the following numeric codes:
# Attribute codes:
# 00=none 01=bold 04=underscore 05=blink 07=reverse 08=concealed
# Text color codes:
# 30=black 31=red 32=green 33=yellow 34=blue 35=magenta 36=cyan 37=white
# Background color codes:
# 40=black 41=red 42=green 43=yellow 44=blue 45=magenta 46=cyan 47=white

I have

ORPHAN 01;05;37;41 # orphaned syminks
MISSING 01;05;37;41 # ... and the files they point to

So you probably want to change the 05 into something else or remove it.
Just experiment and to test it do

eval `dircolors -b /etc/DIR_COLORS`