FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Grant Edwards
 
Default Once again baffled by portage

Why won't portage let me install kompare?

# emerge --pretend kompare

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild N ] kde-base/kompare-3.5.7 USE="arts -debug -kdeenablefinal -kdehiddenvisibility -xinerama"
[blocks B ] =kde-base/kompare-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdesdk-3.5.7)
[blocks B ] =kde-base/kdesdk-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kompare-3.5.7)

How does one figure out where these "blocks" are coming from?
There are no other versions of kompare installed.
kde-base/kdesdk-3.5.7 _is_ installed. There is no mention of
kde<anything> in /etc/portage/*.

# emerge --search kompare
Searching...
[ Results for search key : kompare ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

* kde-base/kompare
Latest version available: 3.5.7
Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
Size of files: 5,078 kB
Homepage: http://www.kde.org/
Description: KDE: A program to view the differences between files and optionally generate a diff
License: GPL-2

# emerge --search '%^kdesdk$'
Searching...
[ Results for search key : ^kdesdk$ ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

* kde-base/kdesdk
Latest version available: 3.5.7
Latest version installed: 3.5.7
Size of files: 5,088 kB
Homepage: http://www.kde.org/
Description: KDE SDK: Cervisia, KBabel, KCachegrind, Kompare, Umbrello,...
License: GPL-2


--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Am I in Milwaukee?
at
visi.com

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Michael Schmarck
 
Default Once again baffled by portage

· Grant Edwards <grante@visi.com>:

> Why won't portage let me install kompare?

Because you already have it.

> # emerge --pretend kompare
>
> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild N ] kde-base/kompare-3.5.7 USE="arts -debug -kdeenablefinal -kdehiddenvisibility -xinerama"
> [blocks B ] =kde-base/kompare-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdesdk-3.5.7)
> [blocks B ] =kde-base/kdesdk-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kompare-3.5.7)
>
> How does one figure out where these "blocks" are coming from?

By having a look in the ebuilds.

> There are no other versions of kompare installed.
> kde-base/kdesdk-3.5.7 _is_ installed. There is no mention of
> kde<anything> in /etc/portage/*.

I suppose kompare is part of kdesdk. kdesdk is a huge package containing
lots of stuff. So I suppose you cannot have both kdesdk and a broken
out package (kompare) installed at the same time.

> * kde-base/kdesdk
> Latest version available: 3.5.7
> Latest version installed: 3.5.7
> Size of files: 5,088 kB
> Homepage: http://www.kde.org/
> Description: KDE SDK: Cervisia, KBabel, KCachegrind, Kompare, Umbrello,...
> License: GPL-2

Yep. There it says: kdesdk also offers Kompare.

Hm, why would you want to install Kompare, if you already have it
installed?

Michael Schmarck
--
Why would anyone want to be called "Later"?


--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Guilherme Amadio
 
Default Once again baffled by portage

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 03:28:24PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> Why won't portage let me install kompare?

> * kde-base/kdesdk
> Description: KDE SDK: Cervisia, KBabel, KCachegrind, Kompare, Umbrello,...
>

By what I understand, kdesdk already includes kompare, that is why it is
blocking it. If you don't have kompare already, there may be some bug in
an eclass or ebuild relating to one of these packages. I'm not a kde user,
but a quick look at the ebuild for kompare showed that the src is the same
as kdesdk.

As for where the blocks come from, I think it's directly from the dependencies
specified in the ebuilds.

Well, hope that helps.

Cheers,
Guilherme
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Once again baffled by portage

On Thursday 17 January 2008, Grant Edwards wrote:
> Why won't portage let me install kompare?
>
> # emerge --pretend kompare
>
> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild N ] kde-base/kompare-3.5.7 USE="arts -debug
> -kdeenablefinal -kdehiddenvisibility -xinerama" [blocks B ]
> =kde-base/kompare-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdesdk-3.5.7) [blocks B
> ] =kde-base/kdesdk-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kompare-3.5.7)
>
> How does one figure out where these "blocks" are coming from?
> There are no other versions of kompare installed.
> kde-base/kdesdk-3.5.7 _is_ installed. There is no mention of
> kde<anything> in /etc/portage/*.

The solution is a little more complex than in Michael's reply and this
may take a while :-)

. Normally with blockers one looks in the ebuild to see what you may and
may not do, this is often enough info. The contents of /etc/portage/*
is seldom useful here as blockers almost always mean you have specified
two things that cannot co-exist.

In your case, you have run into monolithic and -meta kde ebuilds. Guess
what - you already have the kompare binaries, despite the fact that
kde-base/kompare is not installed. That's because they are actually
part of kdesdk. There are two ways I would have gone about finding this
out:

a. 'equery depends kompare' would have said that kdesdk-meta depends on
it, if it were installed (which it isn't on your machine).

b. Looking into the ebuild for kdesdk-meta shows:

RDEPEND="
...
$(deprange $PV $MAXKDEVER kde-base/kompare)
...
"

So the -meta package installs kompare, therefore the monolithic package
will too.

Essentially you are trying to install one of the individual packages
from a -meta package at the same time as a corresponding monolithic
package,and portage is correctly refusing to let you do this.

How did I immediately know that this is the cause? School of hard
knocks :-) From experience I have a good idea of the name of the 15 or
so KDE monolithic packages, and the general rule I follow is that
blockers related to kde are usually conflicts between -meta and
monolithic ebuilds.

Roll on KDE4 when this monolithic nonsense will go away and there will
only be -meta ebuilds.

alan


>
> # emerge --search kompare
> Searching...
> [ Results for search key : kompare ]
> [ Applications found : 1 ]
>
> * kde-base/kompare
> Latest version available: 3.5.7
> Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
> Size of files: 5,078 kB
> Homepage: http://www.kde.org/
> Description: KDE: A program to view the differences
> between files and optionally generate a diff License: GPL-2
>
> # emerge --search '%^kdesdk$'
> Searching...
> [ Results for search key : ^kdesdk$ ]
> [ Applications found : 1 ]
>
> * kde-base/kdesdk
> Latest version available: 3.5.7
> Latest version installed: 3.5.7
> Size of files: 5,088 kB
> Homepage: http://www.kde.org/
> Description: KDE SDK: Cervisia, KBabel, KCachegrind,
> Kompare, Umbrello,... License: GPL-2
>
>
> --
> Grant Edwards grante Yow! Am I in
> Milwaukee? at
> visi.com



--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Grant Edwards
 
Default Once again baffled by portage

On 2008-01-17, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 17 January 2008, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> Why won't portage let me install kompare?
>>
>> # emerge --pretend kompare
>>
>> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>>
>> Calculating dependencies... done!
>> [ebuild N ] kde-base/kompare-3.5.7 USE="arts -debug
>> -kdeenablefinal -kdehiddenvisibility -xinerama" [blocks B ]
>> =kde-base/kompare-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kdesdk-3.5.7) [blocks B
>> ] =kde-base/kdesdk-3.5* (is blocking kde-base/kompare-3.5.7)
>>
>> How does one figure out where these "blocks" are coming from?
>> There are no other versions of kompare installed.
>> kde-base/kdesdk-3.5.7 _is_ installed. There is no mention of
>> kde<anything> in /etc/portage/*.
>
> The solution is a little more complex than in Michael's reply and this
> may take a while :-)

[...]

> Essentially you are trying to install one of the individual packages
> from a -meta package at the same time as a corresponding monolithic
> package,and portage is correctly refusing to let you do this.

Sure, it makes sense now.

Thanks for the explanation.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I was making donuts
at and now I'm on a bus!
visi.com

--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Bo Ørsted Andresen
 
Default Once again baffled by portage

On Thursday 17 January 2008 16:28:24 Grant Edwards wrote:
> How does one figure out where these "blocks" are coming from?
> There are no other versions of kompare installed.
> kde-base/kdesdk-3.5.7 _is_ installed.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kde-split-ebuilds.xml

--
Bo Andresen
 
Old 01-17-2008, 07:20 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Once again baffled by portage

On Thursday 17 January 2008, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2008-01-17, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Essentially you are trying to install one of the individual
> > packages from a -meta package at the same time as a corresponding
> > monolithic package,and portage is correctly refusing to let you do
> > this.
>
> Sure, it makes sense now.
>
> Thanks for the explanation.

I just re-read my own post and I'm left with one impression:

There gotta be an easier way to do this split-ebuild thing where the
user can see at a glance if a package is monolithic or not...


--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
--
gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org mailing list
 
Old 01-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Bo Ørsted Andresen
 
Default Once again baffled by portage

On Thursday 17 January 2008 17:06:28 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> Roll on KDE4 when this monolithic nonsense will go away and there will
> only be -meta ebuilds.

Actually it was decided to keep monolithics in KDE 4.0.0. Splits are now the
default which means they are listed first in any-of dependency blocks such as
e.g. || ( kde-base/kompare:kde-4 kde-base/kdesdk:kde-4 ) in KDE 4. But monos
are still around. There is a list of the monos in the url I posted in another
mail to this thread.

--
Bo Andresen
 
Old 01-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default Once again baffled by portage

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 00:41:04 +0100, Bo Ørsted Andresen wrote:

> Actually it was decided to keep monolithics in KDE 4.0.0. Splits are
> now the default which means they are listed first in any-of dependency
> blocks such as e.g. || ( kde-base/kompare:kde-4 kde-base/kdesdk:kde-4 )
> in KDE 4. But monos are still around. There is a list of the monos in
> the url I posted in another mail to this thread.

Would it be possible to modify the kde-meta eclass so that a split vs
monolithic block gave a more informative error message. Even a generic
message pointing to that URI would be a great help.


--
Neil Bothwick

Daisy Duke shorts would never go out of fashion.
 
Old 01-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Bo Ørsted Andresen
 
Default Once again baffled by portage

On Friday 18 January 2008 01:08:51 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > Actually it was decided to keep monolithics in KDE 4.0.0. Splits are
> > now the default which means they are listed first in any-of dependency
> > blocks such as e.g. || ( kde-base/kompare:kde-4 kde-base/kdesdk:kde-4 )
> > in KDE 4. But monos are still around. There is a list of the monos in
> > the url I posted in another mail to this thread.
>
> Would it be possible to modify the kde-meta eclass so that a split vs
> monolithic block gave a more informative error message. Even a generic
> message pointing to that URI would be a great help.

Since we only have the RDEPEND="!kde-base/kdesdk:kde-4" etc. dependency syntax
which doesn't allow messages I don't see how (if you see a possibility I'm
missing say so). The message you get is a generic resolver failure. If you
have ideas for better wording of the blocker message from portage I guess you
should file a portage bug. If you have any ideas for extending the ebuild
format to make it possible to add custom messages with urls then I guess
filing a PMS/EAPI bug is the way to go.

--
Bo Andresen
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:56 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org