Old 07-14-2010, 04:16 PM
Xi Shen

Default emerge is not switching mirror when one is down

hi,

i have multiple mirrors configured in GENTOO_MIRRORS, /etc/make.conf.
i noticed that if the 1st mirror is down, emerge will continuously try
the 1st mirror. i remember it should switch to the 2nd server after
the try failed 3 times. how can i configure it to switch mirrors
automatically?

--
Best Regards,
Xi Shen (David)

http://twitter.com/davidshen84/

Old 07-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Jake Moe

On 15/07/10 02:16, Xi Shen wrote:
> hi,
>
> i have multiple mirrors configured in GENTOO_MIRRORS, /etc/make.conf.
> i noticed that if the 1st mirror is down, emerge will continuously try
> the 1st mirror. i remember it should switch to the 2nd server after
> the try failed 3 times. how can i configure it to switch mirrors
> automatically?

What does "emerge --info | grep GENTOO_MIRRORS" tell you?

Jake Moe

Old 07-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Xi Shen

it says

GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirrors.sohu.com/gentoo/ http://mirrors.163.com/gentoo/"

i guess it means ok, right?

Old 07-15-2010, 11:47 AM
András Csányi

On 14 July 2010 18:16, Xi Shen <davidshen84@googlemail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> i have multiple mirrors configured in GENTOO_MIRRORS, /etc/make.conf.
> i noticed that if the 1st mirror is down, emerge will continuously try
> the 1st mirror. i remember it should switch to the 2nd server after
> the try failed 3 times. how can i configure it to switch mirrors
> automatically?

Which way did you make the list? Mirrorselect or manually?
Have you tried with mirrorselect?

--
- -
--* Csanyi Andras* -- http://sayusi.hu -- Sayusi Ando

Old 07-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Xi Shen

manually. according to 'man make.conf', the GENTOO_MIRRORS is a list
URLs, separated by space. i think my value is correct.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:56 AM
András Csányi

On 15 July 2010 13:49, Xi Shen <davidshen84@googlemail.com> wrote:
> manually. according to 'man make.conf', the GENTOO_MIRRORS is a list
> URLs, separated by space. i think my value is correct.

If I were in you shoes, I take a try with mirrorselect.

--
- -

Old 07-15-2010, 12:31 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 15 July 2010 13:41:11 Xi Shen wrote:
> it says

GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirrors.sohu.com/gentoo/http://mirrors.163.com/gentoo/"

> i guess it means ok, right?
>
> On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 6:26 AM, Jake Moe <jakesaddress@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 15/07/10 02:16, Xi Shen wrote:
> >> hi,
> >>
> >> i have multiple mirrors configured in GENTOO_MIRRORS, /etc/make.conf.
> >> i noticed that if the 1st mirror is down, emerge will continuously try
> >> the 1st mirror. i remember it should switch to the 2nd server after
> >> the try failed 3 times. how can i configure it to switch mirrors
> >> automatically?
> >
> > What does "emerge --info | grep GENTOO_MIRRORS" tell you?
> >
> > Jake Moe

Nope, it's wrong.

That is 1 URL, I doubt it will be valid

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Xi Shen

i tried the mirrorselect, and the generated GENTOO_MIRRORS is as follow:

GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.localhost.net.ar/
ftp://mirrors.localhost.net.ar/pub/mirrors/gentoo/"

and this is my original value:
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirrors.sohu.com/gentoo/ http://mirrors.163.com/gentoo/"

what's the difference? except the url...

Old 07-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Thursday 15 July 2010 16:49:33 Xi Shen wrote:
> i tried the mirrorselect, and the generated GENTOO_MIRRORS is as follow:
>
> GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.localhost.net.ar/
> ftp://mirrors.localhost.net.ar/pub/mirrors/gentoo/"
>
> and this is my original value:

GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirrors.sohu.com/gentoo/http://mirrors.163.com/gentoo/"
^^^^

Do you or do you not agree that there should be a space there?

Old 07-15-2010, 03:24 PM

Xi Shen <davidshen84@googlemail.com> writes:
[...]
> [...]
[...]
> i tried the mirrorselect, and the generated GENTOO_MIRRORS is as follow:
>
> GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.localhost.net.ar/
> ftp://mirrors.localhost.net.ar/pub/mirrors/gentoo/"

Is this really a newline, or that's just your/my mail client wordwrapping it?

> and this is my original value:
> GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirrors.sohu.com/gentoo/ http://mirrors.163.com/gentoo/"
>
> what's the difference? except the url...

If that was a newline, that's the only difference. If it is not, there
is no difference.

Do you, by any chance, have a custom FETCHCOMMAND?

My /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example shows a default of 5
tries (-t 5), using wget.

--
Nuno J. Silva
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg