FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Dale
 
Default emerge keeps 'fetching' gvfs-1.4.3-r1

Mark Knecht wrote:

Right. I misspoke. New use flags, not new a package.

However the outcome is consistent. It says it's 'fetching' because
it's responding to the idea that there's a new use flag, but then
fetches nothing because the file is already here and builds nothing
because it's already been built.

It's not a big deal. The machine is fine. Everything is consistent as
far as I know. However some portion of the download logic in emerge is
confused.

I've seen this sort of thing a few times in the past but it's always
cleared up in a day or two. This one has gone on for weeks.

Note that I do use ~amd64 on portage& eix. Maybe it's a bug that
hasn't been cleaned up yet.

So, following through, there does appear to be a new flag setting
(-gdu) however it's not triggered emerging @world even though packages
on the system require gvfs according to equery.

Somethings inconsistent. (Possibly my brain!)

Cheers,
Mark

c2stable ~ # emerge -pvDuN gvfs

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] gnome-base/gvfs-1.4.3-r1 USE="gnome http udev
-archive -avahi -bash-completion -bluetooth -cdda -doc -fuse -gdu*
-gnome-keyring -gphoto2 -hal -samba" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
c2stable ~ # emerge -pvDuN @world

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB
c2stable ~ # equery depends gvfs
* These packages depend on gvfs:
app-cdr/brasero-2.28.3 (gnome-base/gvfs)
gnome-base/gnome-2.28.2 (>=gnome-base/gvfs-1.4.3[gdu])
gnome-base/libgnome-2.28.0 (gnome-base/gvfs)
gnome-base/nautilus-2.28.4-r1 (>=gnome-base/gvfs-0.1.2)
c2stable ~ #


Just curious.

Cheers,
Mark




What does it do when you run:

emerge -vDuN gvfs

It should start to compile the package. Keep in mind, if you use the -f
option, it will fetch but not compile or anything else. I used to use
that back when I was on dial-up, which sucked by the way. Even this
slow DSL is about 30 times faster than my old dial-up. lol It *should*
only fetch it once tho unless it fails the checksum thingy. Portage
should give you a error message tho.


Dale

:-) :-)
 
Old 07-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Mark Knecht
 
Default emerge keeps 'fetching' gvfs-1.4.3-r1

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> Right. I misspoke. New use flags, not new a package.
>>
>> However the outcome is consistent. It says it's 'fetching' because
>> it's responding to the idea that there's a new use flag, but then
>> fetches nothing because the file is already here and builds nothing
>> because it's already been built.
>>
>> It's not a big deal. The machine is fine. Everything is consistent as
>> far as I know. However some portion of the download logic in emerge is
>> confused.
>>
>> I've seen this sort of thing a few times in the past but it's always
>> cleared up in a day or two. This one has gone on for weeks.
>>
>> Note that I do use ~amd64 on portage& *eix. Maybe it's a bug that
>> hasn't been cleaned up yet.
>>
>> So, following through, there does appear to be a new flag setting
>> (-gdu) however it's not triggered emerging @world even though packages
>> on the system require gvfs according to equery.
>>
>> Somethings inconsistent. (Possibly my brain!)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
>>
>> c2stable ~ # emerge -pvDuN gvfs
>>
>> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>>
>> Calculating dependencies... done!
>> [ebuild * R * ] gnome-base/gvfs-1.4.3-r1 *USE="gnome http udev
>> -archive -avahi -bash-completion -bluetooth -cdda -doc -fuse -gdu*
>> -gnome-keyring -gphoto2 -hal -samba" 0 kB
>>
>> Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
>> c2stable ~ # emerge -pvDuN @world
>>
>> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>>
>> Calculating dependencies... done!
>>
>> Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB
>> c2stable ~ # equery depends gvfs
>> ** These packages depend on gvfs:
>> app-cdr/brasero-2.28.3 (gnome-base/gvfs)
>> gnome-base/gnome-2.28.2 (>=gnome-base/gvfs-1.4.3[gdu])
>> gnome-base/libgnome-2.28.0 (gnome-base/gvfs)
>> gnome-base/nautilus-2.28.4-r1 (>=gnome-base/gvfs-0.1.2)
>> c2stable ~ #
>>
>>
>> Just curious.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark
>>
>>
>
> What does it do when you run:
>
> emerge -vDuN gvfs
>
> It should start to compile the package. *Keep in mind, if you use the -f
> option, it will fetch but not compile or anything else. *I used to use that
> back when I was on dial-up, which sucked by the way. *Even this slow DSL is
> about 30 times faster than my old dial-up. *lol *It *should* only fetch it
> once tho unless it fails the checksum thingy. * Portage should give you a
> error message tho.
>
> Dale

That probably does build. (The machine is now powered down so I'll
save that for tomorrow.)

I understand (or thought I did!) ;-) the use of -f. I use it every day
to download any packages that are needed to update the system before
starting the actual updates. I don't like the updates to get held up
by some server that's not responding and giving me the files.

So, every day I do updates (2-3 days a week maybe) the basic set of
commands I consider running through looks like:

eix-sync
emerge -fDuN @world
emerge -pvDuN @system
emerge -DuN @system
emerge -pvDuN @world
emerge -DuN @world
revdep-rebuild -ip
eix-test-obsolete -d
emerge -p --depclean

Usually it takes 10-15 minutes if it's not a big day and it has ALWAYS
resulted in

emerge -fDuN @world

fetching NOTHING new, at least until gvfs came along...

Cheers,
Mark
 
Old 07-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Dale
 
Default emerge keeps 'fetching' gvfs-1.4.3-r1

Mark Knecht wrote:

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Dale<rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:


Mark Knecht wrote:


Right. I misspoke. New use flags, not new a package.

However the outcome is consistent. It says it's 'fetching' because
it's responding to the idea that there's a new use flag, but then
fetches nothing because the file is already here and builds nothing
because it's already been built.

It's not a big deal. The machine is fine. Everything is consistent as
far as I know. However some portion of the download logic in emerge is
confused.

I've seen this sort of thing a few times in the past but it's always
cleared up in a day or two. This one has gone on for weeks.

Note that I do use ~amd64 on portage& eix. Maybe it's a bug that
hasn't been cleaned up yet.

So, following through, there does appear to be a new flag setting
(-gdu) however it's not triggered emerging @world even though packages
on the system require gvfs according to equery.

Somethings inconsistent. (Possibly my brain!)

Cheers,
Mark

c2stable ~ # emerge -pvDuN gvfs

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] gnome-base/gvfs-1.4.3-r1 USE="gnome http udev
-archive -avahi -bash-completion -bluetooth -cdda -doc -fuse -gdu*
-gnome-keyring -gphoto2 -hal -samba" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
c2stable ~ # emerge -pvDuN @world

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB
c2stable ~ # equery depends gvfs
* These packages depend on gvfs:
app-cdr/brasero-2.28.3 (gnome-base/gvfs)
gnome-base/gnome-2.28.2 (>=gnome-base/gvfs-1.4.3[gdu])
gnome-base/libgnome-2.28.0 (gnome-base/gvfs)
gnome-base/nautilus-2.28.4-r1 (>=gnome-base/gvfs-0.1.2)
c2stable ~ #


Just curious.

Cheers,
Mark




What does it do when you run:

emerge -vDuN gvfs

It should start to compile the package. Keep in mind, if you use the -f
option, it will fetch but not compile or anything else. I used to use that
back when I was on dial-up, which sucked by the way. Even this slow DSL is
about 30 times faster than my old dial-up. lol It *should* only fetch it
once tho unless it fails the checksum thingy. Portage should give you a
error message tho.

Dale


That probably does build. (The machine is now powered down so I'll
save that for tomorrow.)

I understand (or thought I did!) ;-) the use of -f. I use it every day
to download any packages that are needed to update the system before
starting the actual updates. I don't like the updates to get held up
by some server that's not responding and giving me the files.

So, every day I do updates (2-3 days a week maybe) the basic set of
commands I consider running through looks like:

eix-sync
emerge -fDuN @world
emerge -pvDuN @system
emerge -DuN @system
emerge -pvDuN @world
emerge -DuN @world
revdep-rebuild -ip
eix-test-obsolete -d
emerge -p --depclean

Usually it takes 10-15 minutes if it's not a big day and it has ALWAYS
resulted in

emerge -fDuN @world

fetching NOTHING new, at least until gvfs came along...

Cheers,
Mark




Well, I do mine a bit differently. I do this way:

eix-sync && emerge -uvDNa world

You may want to add the -f to that then come back and do the actual
emerge. If you use world instead of @world, you don't need to worry
about @system since it is included in the world file.


Then when that is done you can run emerge -p --depclean and
revdep-rebuild. I would run revdep-rebuild last since --depclean could
cause a problem. I only had that once but it may be even safer to run
revdep-rebuild then --depclean then revdep-rebuild again just to
alleviate any paranoia.


Making sure portage didn't tell you to fix anything broken is a good
idea too. I use either elogv or elogviewer to check those.


Dale

:-) :-)
 
Old 07-13-2010, 07:03 PM
"Arttu V."
 
Default emerge keeps 'fetching' gvfs-1.4.3-r1

On 7/13/10, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's not a big deal. The machine is fine. Everything is consistent as
> far as I know. However some portion of the download logic in emerge is
> confused.
>
> I've seen this sort of thing a few times in the past but it's always
> cleared up in a day or two. This one has gone on for weeks.
>
> Note that I do use ~amd64 on portage & eix. Maybe it's a bug that
> hasn't been cleaned up yet.
>
> So, following through, there does appear to be a new flag setting
> (-gdu) however it's not triggered emerging @world even though packages
> on the system require gvfs according to equery.
>
> Somethings inconsistent. (Possibly my brain!)

Please tell us if these two files differ on the system:

/var/db/pkg/gnome-base/gnome-2.28.2.ebuild
/usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome-2.28.2.ebuild

(Please adjust paths etc accordingly if you don't use regular
locations or if I got the versions installed on the system wrong.)

What we might have here is the fun of silent revbumps.

--
Arttu V. -- Running Gentoo is like running with scissors
 
Old 07-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Mark Knecht
 
Default emerge keeps 'fetching' gvfs-1.4.3-r1

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Arttu V. <arttuv69@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/13/10, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's not a big deal. The machine is fine. Everything is consistent as
>> far as I know. However some portion of the download logic in emerge is
>> confused.
>>
>> I've seen this sort of thing a few times in the past but it's always
>> cleared up in a day or two. This one has gone on for weeks.
>>
>> Note that I do use ~amd64 on portage & eix. Maybe it's a bug that
>> hasn't been cleaned up yet.
>>
>> So, following through, there does appear to be a new flag setting
>> (-gdu) however it's not triggered emerging @world even though packages
>> on the system require gvfs according to equery.
>>
>> Somethings inconsistent. (Possibly my brain!)
>
> Please tell us if these two files differ on the system:
>
> /var/db/pkg/gnome-base/gnome-2.28.2.ebuild
> /usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome-2.28.2.ebuild
>
> (Please adjust paths etc accordingly if you don't use regular
> locations or if I got the versions installed on the system wrong.)
>
> What we might have here is the fun of silent revbumps.
>
> --
> Arttu V. -- Running Gentoo is like running with scissors
>
>

Different sizes and slightly different contents:


c2stable ~ # ls -la /usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome/gnome-2.28.2.ebuild
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5574 Jul 6 07:36
/usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome/gnome-2.28.2.ebuild
c2stable ~ # diff
/var/db/pkg/gnome-base/gnome-2.28.2/gnome-2.28.2.ebuild
/usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome/gnome-2.28.2.ebuild
3c3
< # $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/gnome-base/gnome/gnome-2.28.2.ebuild,v
1.7 2010/05/04 16:31:31 tester Exp $
---
> # $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/gnome-base/gnome/gnome-2.28.2.ebuild,v 1.10 2010/07/06 14:14:50 ssuominen Exp $
15c15
< KEYWORDS="amd64 ~x86"
---
> KEYWORDS="~alpha amd64 ~ia64 ~ppc64 ~sparc x86"
c2stable ~ #

similar differences for the gvfs package:

c2stable ~ # diff
/var/db/pkg/gnome-base/gvfs-1.4.3-r1/gvfs-1.4.3-r1.ebuild
/usr/portage/gnome-base/gvfs/gvfs-1.4.3-r1.ebuild
3c3
< # $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/gnome-base/gvfs/gvfs-1.4.3-r1.ebuild,v
1.2 2010/05/05 17:56:14 pacho Exp $
---
> # $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/gnome-base/gvfs/gvfs-1.4.3-r1.ebuild,v 1.5 2010/07/06 13:22:53 ssuominen Exp $
15c15
< KEYWORDS="amd64 ~x86"
---
> KEYWORDS="~alpha amd64 ~ia64 ~ppc64 ~sparc x86"
c2stable ~ #

- Mark
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:28 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org