Old 07-13-2010, 05:14 PM
Mark Knecht

Default xorg-server 1.7.6 without mouse and keyboard (solved)

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Tamer Higazi <th982a@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mark!
> you were entirely right, the problem were the input drivers.
>
> There three packages I remerged:
>
> xf86-input-mouse
> xf86-input-keyboard
> xf86-input-evdev
>
> and the problem was gone.
>

> Tamer

Glad it worked. Investigate modules-rebuild as it keeps track of these
things and does it for you pretty easily. Here's what's in my list:

c2stable ~ # module-rebuild list
** Packages which I will emerge are:
=x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.7
=x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.3.2
=x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.13.0
=x11-drivers/xf86-video-fbdev-0.4.2
=x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard-1.4.0
=x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse-1.5.0
=x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware-11.0.1
=media-libs/mesa-7.8.1
=app-emulation/vmware-modules-1.0.0.26
c2stable ~ #

The first time you add modules you have to specify the currently
installed package. After it's set up you run it telling the program to
disregard the package rev:

modules-rebuild -X rebuild

and it all gets done.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 07-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:
> On 07/13/2010 08:14 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Tamer Higazi<th982a@googlemail.com>
>> *wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Mark!
>>> you were entirely right, the problem were the input drivers.
>>>
>>> There three packages I remerged:
>>>
>>> xf86-input-mouse
>>> xf86-input-keyboard
>>> xf86-input-evdev
>>>
>>> and the problem was gone.
>>>

>>> Tamer
>>
>> Glad it worked. Investigate modules-rebuild as it keeps track of these
>> things and does it for you pretty easily. Here's what's in my list:
>>
>> c2stable ~ # module-rebuild list
>> ** Packages which I will emerge are:
>> * * * * =x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.7
>> * * * * =x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-2.3.2
>> * * * * =x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.13.0
>> * * * * =x11-drivers/xf86-video-fbdev-0.4.2
>> * * * * =x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard-1.4.0
>> * * * * =x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse-1.5.0
>> * * * * =x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware-11.0.1
>> * * * * =media-libs/mesa-7.8.1
>
> All of the above are not kernel modules. Kernel updates don't affect them,
> only xorg-server updates do.
>

>> * * * * =app-emulation/vmware-modules-1.0.0.26
>
> Only this is affected by kernel updates.

No disagreement on that, but frankly it doesn't matter to me. It
works. Takes about 1 minute to rebuild these files. I don't care (as a
user type) why I have to do it. I do it and my machine works. It
covers kernel and xorg updates. That's OK with me.

Or maybe you're just pointing this out to the OP?

I suspect I might have failed with the same problem as the OP myself
this morning had I used not it. There was an xorg-driver update that
didn't update all the input devices in my make.conf file. (evdev
specifically) This command did. Maybe I didn't need to rebuild evdev
after an sorg-driver update but I suspect you'd agree it's safer if I
do.

Sometimes the tools take care of things that are just oversights.
Matters not that I shouldn't have to do it. Matters more that the
machine works.

Cheers,
Mark