Old 07-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Allan Gottlieb

Default Display gone

alain.didierjean@free.fr writes:

> Just reinstalled Gentoo. Boot thru kdm. Works fine, but a lot of X & kde apps
> can't find the display and return
>
> No protocol specified
> No protocol specified
> xprop: unable to open display ':0'
>
> Did I forget to configure something ?

Perhaps these apps are running as another user.

An easy check (not safe for long term use) is to open a terminal
(assuming you can) and type
xhost +
which permits any process to write on the screen.

If this "fixes" it, then you should arrange the processes to run as you.

allan

Old 07-13-2010, 06:18 PM

Selon Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu>:

> alain.didierjean@free.fr writes:
>
> > Just reinstalled Gentoo. Boot thru kdm. Works fine, but a lot of X & kde
> apps
> > can't find the display and return
> >
> > No protocol specified
> > No protocol specified
> > xprop: unable to open display ':0'
> >
> > Did I forget to configure something ?
>
> Perhaps these apps are running as another user.

No, all were launched by the same user.
> An easy check (not safe for long term use) is to open a terminal
> (assuming you can) and type
> xhost +
> which permits any process to write on the screen.

Doesn't work, too bad:

isba ~ # xhost +
No protocol specified
No protocol specified