Old 07-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Jarry

Default how can I make "emerge --sync" less verbose?

Hi,
subject says it all: I'm using gentoo over rather slow line,
and while syncing portage tree, lines keep scrolling so fast
it saturates my connection. How can I make "emerge --sync"
somehow less verbose?

I know, I can use "--quiet", but then I do not see anyting.
Maybe something like status-bar, or counter (0-100%) would
be nice...

Jarry

Old 07-13-2010, 06:28 PM
Bill Longman

On 07/13/2010 09:48 AM, Jarry wrote:
> Hi,
> subject says it all: I'm using gentoo over rather slow line,
> and while syncing portage tree, lines keep scrolling so fast
> it saturates my connection. How can I make "emerge --sync"
> somehow less verbose?
>
> I know, I can use "--quiet", but then I do not see anyting.
> Maybe something like status-bar, or counter (0-100%) would
> be nice...

I usually use "screen" and run it from there. You can then "tailf" the
emerge-fetch.log if you really want to watch.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Jarry <mr.jarry@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> subject says it all: I'm using gentoo over rather slow line,
> and while syncing portage tree, lines keep scrolling so fast
> it saturates my connection. How can I make "emerge --sync"
> somehow less verbose?
>
> I know, I can use "--quiet", but then I do not see anyting.
> Maybe something like status-bar, or counter (0-100%) would
> be nice...

If you use eix-sync you can make emerge be quir and let eix show you
the differences when it's done. (It's very useful even if you're not
on a slow link.)

Old 07-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gentoo@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Jarry <mr.jarry@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> subject says it all: I'm using gentoo over rather slow line,
>> and while syncing portage tree, lines keep scrolling so fast
>> it saturates my connection. How can I make "emerge --sync"
>> somehow less verbose?
>>
>> I know, I can use "--quiet", but then I do not see anyting.
>> Maybe something like status-bar, or counter (0-100%) would
>> be nice...
>
> If you use eix-sync you can make emerge be quir and let eix show you
> the differences when it's done. (It's very useful even if you're not
> on a slow link.)

quir=quiet... typo, sorry.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Florian Philipp

Am 13.07.2010 18:48, schrieb Jarry:
> Hi,
> subject says it all: I'm using gentoo over rather slow line,
> and while syncing portage tree, lines keep scrolling so fast
> it saturates my connection. How can I make "emerge --sync"
> somehow less verbose?
>
> I know, I can use "--quiet", but then I do not see anyting.
> Maybe something like status-bar, or counter (0-100%) would
> be nice...
>
> Jarry

Portage relies on rsync for it's emerge --sync. You can add extra
command line parameters to the rsync call by specifying them in the
variable
PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS
in your /etc/make.conf

Take a look at `man rsync` for a list of possible options and `man
make.conf` for a list of all default options.

For example, you could specify --out-format '.'
That way, for every file it will only print a single dot and a line
feed. That way, you can still monitor progress with a minimum of traffic.

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp

Old 07-15-2010, 02:21 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Wednesday 14 July 2010 19:45:46 Florian Philipp wrote:

> Portage relies on rsync for it's emerge --sync. You can add extra
> command line parameters to the rsync call by specifying them in the
> variable
> PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS
> in your /etc/make.conf
>
> Take a look at `man rsync` for a list of possible options and `man
> make.conf` for a list of all default options.
>
> For example, you could specify --out-format '.'
> That way, for every file it will only print a single dot and a line
> feed. That way, you can still monitor progress with a minimum of
> traffic.

What rsync should do, as I suggested recently , is not mention any
directory in which it does no work.

--
Rgds
Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.