Old 07-13-2010, 02:28 PM
SpaceCake

Default Virtualbox USB w/o usbfs

Hi,

I have a problem with accessing usb devices from virtualbox after some kernel/system update. Previously it was ok after I've added the following line to the fstab

usbfs***************** /proc/bus/usb** usbfs********** devgid=1017,devmode=664 0 0

but now, there is no /proc/bus/usb

how can I enable USB access for a regular user in this new situation? Should I modify some kernel parameters? should I enable CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS or there is some alternative solution?

Thanks
Laszlo

Old 07-15-2010, 08:26 AM
App Deb

You should never add that line in fstab in Gentoo. Don't follow random tutorials about random distro workarounds. Gentoo bootscripts mount usbfs on boot with gid=group=usb, so if you want to give user permissions for usbfs, you add yourself to the "usb" group, you don't need to do anything else, and Virtualbox will work (of course you also need to be in the vboxusers group).

Anyway, usbfs is not actually needed anymore, it has been replaced by usb /dev/ entries. VirtualBox will use usbfs if it is mounted, but if it is not, usb will work with the new improved way (better permission handling, for printers for example). I don't now of any application that works only with usbfs anymore, maybe it is time to remove it (or make it optional) from the default gentoo boot-scripts.

*