Old 07-13-2010, 01:17 AM
Philip Webb

Default anyone using Lilo to dual-boot ? -- solved

100712 Mick wrote:
> I must have installed at least 3 Ubuntus in the last 6 months,
> all of them on reiserfs. No problem booting them.
>
> image=/boot/your_Ubuntu_image
> label=Ubuntu
> append="ramdisk_size=2900000"
> vga=normal
> initrd=/boot/your_ubuntu_initrd.gz
> read-only
> root=/dev/sda8
>
> I don't use LILO so check the above to make sure there are no errors
> and adjust it to your circumstances.

Thanks, that solved the problem, given that I had identified it
as arising from Ubuntu not recognising ReiserFS.
I added the 'initrd=...' line & booted into Ubuntu successfully;
Gentoo doesn't require that line, perhaps because I use no kernel modules.
BTW the Ubuntu ramdisk needs 7,9 MB & Lilo issues a warning
(I didn't use your 'append/vga' lines).

From my bit of experience so far, Ubuntu does look good for a beginner.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb