Old 07-13-2010, 01:04 AM
Albert Hopkins

Default Evdev keyboard no longer works

Suddenly my multimedia keys stopped working, I think today. I went into
gnome-keyboard-properties, and it shows that my keyboard model is set to
"Unknown". For a long time it has always been set to "Evdev managed
keyboard" but that isn't even on the list anymore. The keyboard
shortcuts preferences no longer recognize these keys when pressed.

I can't see anything that I upgraded recenlty that could have changed
this. I did update gnome-applets to 2.30.0 today, but downgrading back
to 2.28 didn't bring the evdev model back.

Anyone else experience this or have a clue as to what could have
changed?

Old 07-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Mick

On Tuesday 13 July 2010 02:04:32 Albert Hopkins wrote:
> Suddenly my multimedia keys stopped working, I think today. I went into
> gnome-keyboard-properties, and it shows that my keyboard model is set to
> "Unknown". For a long time it has always been set to "Evdev managed
> keyboard" but that isn't even on the list anymore. The keyboard
> shortcuts preferences no longer recognize these keys when pressed.
>
> I can't see anything that I upgraded recenlty that could have changed
> this. I did update gnome-applets to 2.30.0 today, but downgrading back
> to 2.28 didn't bring the evdev model back.
>
> Anyone else experience this or have a clue as to what could have
> changed?

I think I just emerged a new evdev driver and a bunch of X related packages on
two boxen over here. Could it be related to those?

Have a look at genlop, or manually trawl through your /var/log/emerge.
Mick

Old 07-14-2010, 03:03 AM
Albert Hopkins

On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 23:11 +0100, Mick wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 July 2010 02:04:32 Albert Hopkins wrote:
> > Suddenly my multimedia keys stopped working, I think today. I went into
> > gnome-keyboard-properties, and it shows that my keyboard model is set to
> > "Unknown". For a long time it has always been set to "Evdev managed
> > keyboard" but that isn't even on the list anymore. The keyboard
> > shortcuts preferences no longer recognize these keys when pressed.
> >
> > I can't see anything that I upgraded recenlty that could have changed
> > this. I did update gnome-applets to 2.30.0 today, but downgrading back
> > to 2.28 didn't bring the evdev model back.
> >
> > Anyone else experience this or have a clue as to what could have
> > changed?
>
> I think I just emerged a new evdev driver and a bunch of X related packages on
> two boxen over here. Could it be related to those?
>
> Have a look at genlop, or manually trawl through your /var/log/emerge.

Not really sure what's going on now...

I just restored my entire machine from backup from over a week ago when
I *know* it was working, and... it still doesn't work. So perhaps
something is going on with the hardware

Old 07-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Florian Philipp

Am 13.07.2010 03:04, schrieb Albert Hopkins:
> Suddenly my multimedia keys stopped working, I think today. I went into
> gnome-keyboard-properties, and it shows that my keyboard model is set to
> "Unknown". For a long time it has always been set to "Evdev managed
> keyboard" but that isn't even on the list anymore. The keyboard
> shortcuts preferences no longer recognize these keys when pressed.
>
> I can't see anything that I upgraded recenlty that could have changed
> this. I did update gnome-applets to 2.30.0 today, but downgrading back
> to 2.28 didn't bring the evdev model back.
>
> Anyone else experience this or have a clue as to what could have
> changed?

What version is your xorg-server package and your evdev input device?
What use flags are set?