Old 07-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Kyle Bader

Default PS/2 mouse on a USB adaptor

Maybe you need a powered adapter like the one you need for a classic model m?

Can't think of the brand I've seen offhand :/

--
Sent from my mobile device

Kyle

Old 07-13-2010, 06:00 PM
Stroller

On 12 Jul 2010, at 22:59, Paul Hartman wrote:
On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>
wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Replacement-Mouse-USB-
Adapter/dp/B0006G2OVG/ref=sr_1_6/275-4357142-7474332?
ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278964492&sr=8-6

In my experience, the small PS/2 to USB mouse adapters like that do
not contain a controller chip and only work on USB-compatible PS/2
mice. Those mice typically came with a USB adapter in the first place,
so if yours didn't it could be that you're fighting a losing battle.

I believe that mice supplied with these adaptors have internal
circuitry that will detect and distinguish between whether they're
connected to a PS2 port or a USB one, and behave appropriately.

Stroller.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Mick

On Monday 12 July 2010 22:59:59 Paul Hartman wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have connected a conventional PS/2 mouse to a USB socket using this
> > adaptor:
> >
> > http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Replacement-Mouse-USB-
> > Adapter/dp/B0006G2OVG/ref=sr_1_6/275-4357142-7474332?ie=UTF8&s=electronic
> > s&qid=1278964492&sr=8-6
> >
> > Unfortunately, it is not recognised by the kernel:
> >
> > hub 2-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 1
> >
> > I also tried it on a Ubuntu laptop but it did not register at all.
> >
> > What do I need to get it going?
>
> In my experience, the small PS/2 to USB mouse adapters like that do
> not contain a controller chip and only work on USB-compatible PS/2
> mice. Those mice typically came with a USB adapter in the first place,
> so if yours didn't it could be that you're fighting a losing battle.

This is a vanilla PS/2 IBM rather old mouse (protocol ImPS/2). I've grown
font of it over the years ... Oh dear! how sad can a geek get! O_O

> The larger "Y"-shaped keyboard/mouse-to-USB adapters usually support
> non-USB-compatible PS/2 mice, though. I have one like this and it
> works for me:
> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9291

Does this Y-shaped dongle contain any electronics in it? Otherwise it
wouldn't be any different to a single connector.
Mick

Old 07-13-2010, 10:09 PM
Mick

On Tuesday 13 July 2010 19:00:27 Stroller wrote:
> On 12 Jul 2010, at 22:59, Paul Hartman wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com>
> >
> > wrote:
> >> http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Replacement-Mouse-USB-
> >> Adapter/dp/B0006G2OVG/ref=sr_1_6/275-4357142-7474332?
> >> ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278964492&sr=8-6
> >
> > In my experience, the small PS/2 to USB mouse adapters like that do
> > not contain a controller chip and only work on USB-compatible PS/2
> > mice. Those mice typically came with a USB adapter in the first place,
> > so if yours didn't it could be that you're fighting a losing battle.
>
> I believe that mice supplied with these adaptors have internal
> circuitry that will detect and distinguish between whether they're
> connected to a PS2 port or a USB one, and behave appropriately.

Thanks Stroller, in all likelihood this mouse does not have any intelligence
in it - it's just a plain old PS/2 mouse.
Mick

Old 07-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Paul Hartman

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 12 July 2010 22:59:59 Paul Hartman wrote:
>> In my experience, the small PS/2 to USB mouse adapters like that do
>> not contain a controller chip and only work on USB-compatible PS/2
>> mice. Those mice typically came with a USB adapter in the first place,
>> so if yours didn't it could be that you're fighting a losing battle.
>
> This is a vanilla PS/2 IBM rather old mouse (protocol ImPS/2). I've grown
> font of it over the years ... Oh dear! how sad can a geek get! O_O

I'm still using an old PS/2-style keyboard with said USB adapter as
well. It used to be white... now it's a dirty yellowish color. You can
have my keyboard when you pry it from my cold dead hands...

>> The larger "Y"-shaped keyboard/mouse-to-USB adapters usually support
>> non-USB-compatible PS/2 mice, though. I have one like this and it
>> works for me:
>> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9291
>
> Does this Y-shaped dongle contain any electronics in it? Otherwise it
> wouldn't be any different to a single connector.

AFAIK it does, at least the one I have seems to work with "dumb" mice
where the smaller connectors did not. I didn't buy mine from the site
I linked to, but mine looks identical and they're probably all made in
the same factory anyway.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:37 PM
Stroller

The larger "Y"-shaped keyboard/mouse-to-USB adapters usually support
non-USB-compatible PS/2 mice, though. I have one like this and it
works for me:

Does this Y-shaped dongle contain any electronics in it? Otherwise it
wouldn't be any different to a single connector.

Yes, I imagine so.

I've used a number like this: http://gbennett.whsites.net/zencart/images/products/usbps2.jpg
They are readily available from Chinese / HK sources on eBay or from
LedShoppe.com, but I'm sure they're just the same as the one Paul
linked to.

I've never known a mouse or keyboard not to work with them, including
1990s Model Ms.

They cause the mouse & keyboard to appear as HID devices, which are a
standard part of the USB specification.

Stroller.