Old 07-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Andy Wilkinson

Default Unicode Fonts in xfce4-terminal

Hi all,

I have been fiddling on and off for a few months now trying to get
Unicode font display in Terminal, which per the Gentoo Unicode docs as
well as its own, supports UTF-8 character sets. However, special
characters are not displayed. The font in use is DejaVu Sans Mono,
which ought to support simple accented characters and other Unicode
glyphs. The results of `locale` are as follows:

toad@saya ~ $ locale
LANG=en_US.utf8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
LC_TIME="en_US.utf8"
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.utf8"
LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
LC_ALL=

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

-Andy

Old 07-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Bill Longman

On 07/12/2010 11:51 AM, Andy Wilkinson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been fiddling on and off for a few months now trying to get
> Unicode font display in Terminal, which per the Gentoo Unicode docs as
> well as its own, supports UTF-8 character sets. However, special
> characters are not displayed. The font in use is DejaVu Sans Mono,
> which ought to support simple accented characters and other Unicode
> glyphs. The results of `locale` are as follows:
>
> toad@saya ~ $ locale
> LANG=en_US.utf8
> LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
> LC_TIME="en_US.utf8"
> LC_COLLATE=C
> LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
> LC_PAPER="en_US.utf8"
> LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
> LC_ALL=
>
> Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Thanks!

Try en_US.UTF-8 instead.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Andy Wilkinson

On 07/12/2010 12:09 PM, Bill Longman wrote:
> On 07/12/2010 11:51 AM, Andy Wilkinson wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have been fiddling on and off for a few months now trying to get
>> Unicode font display in Terminal, which per the Gentoo Unicode docs as
>> well as its own, supports UTF-8 character sets. However, special
>> characters are not displayed. The font in use is DejaVu Sans Mono,
>> which ought to support simple accented characters and other Unicode
>> glyphs. The results of `locale` are as follows:
>>
>> toad@saya ~ $ locale
>> LANG=en_US.utf8
>> LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
>> LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
>> LC_TIME="en_US.utf8"
>> LC_COLLATE=C
>> LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
>> LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
>> LC_PAPER="en_US.utf8"
>> LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
>> LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
>> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
>> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
>> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
>> LC_ALL=
>>
>> Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
> Try en_US.UTF-8 instead.

That did it. Thanks!

I am confused, though. Why am I setting LANG, etc, to "en_US.UTF-8"
when locale -a says "en_US.utf8"?

For now I am happy that it works. Thanks again.

-Andy

Old 07-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Bill Longman

On 07/12/2010 01:38 PM, Andy Wilkinson wrote:
> On 07/12/2010 12:09 PM, Bill Longman wrote:
>> Try en_US.UTF-8 instead.
>>

> That did it. Thanks!
>
> I am confused, though. Why am I setting LANG, etc, to "en_US.UTF-8"
> when locale -a says "en_US.utf8"?

That's probably what the kernel thinks. If you look at the NLS stuff in
the kernel, it uses "utf8" instead of the usual "UTF-8" syntax, which,
according to the never-incorrect archives on Wikipedia, states is the
official name.

I might be all wet, but that's the only place that I'm familiar with
that uses "utf8".

--
Bill
"Lost a character set, has he? How embarassing. How embarassing."

Old 07-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Mick

On Monday 12 July 2010 21:58:35 Bill Longman wrote:
> On 07/12/2010 01:38 PM, Andy Wilkinson wrote:
> > On 07/12/2010 12:09 PM, Bill Longman wrote:
> >> Try en_US.UTF-8 instead.
> >
> > That did it. Thanks!
> >
> > I am confused, though. Why am I setting LANG, etc, to "en_US.UTF-8"
> > when locale -a says "en_US.utf8"?

Because the /etc/logale.gen file tells us:

# Where <locale> is a locale located in /usr/share/i18n/locales/ and
# where <charmap> is a charmap located in /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/.

and in /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/ you will find:

UTF-8.gz

The next comment says:

# For the default list of supported combinations, see the file:
# /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED

which shows: en_US.UTF-8

> That's probably what the kernel thinks. If you look at the NLS stuff in
> the kernel, it uses "utf8" instead of the usual "UTF-8" syntax, which,
> according to the never-incorrect archives on Wikipedia, states is the
> official name.
>
> I might be all wet, but that's the only place that I'm familiar with
> that uses "utf8".

Mick

Old 07-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Bill Longman

On 07/12/2010 01:38 PM, Andy Wilkinson wrote:

> For now I am happy that it works. Thanks again.
>
> -Andy

For what it's worth, Andy, here's my setup:

/etc/locale.gen has:

en_US ISO-8859-1
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
el_GR.UTF-8 UTF-8
el_GR ISO-8859-7

and in /etc/env.d/02locale I have:

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

And it all just works. I have the default codepage/NLS set to "utf8" in
my kernels, too, but I don't create files with Greek names. Not yet,
anyway, and I really don't plan on it. Switching keyboard layouts is
hard enough in the editor. Ever try to run "λσ -λ" in bash?