Old 07-12-2010, 06:23 PM
"Arttu V."

Default anyone using Lilo to dual-boot ? -- discovery

On 7/12/10, covici@ccs.covici.com <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:

> Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:
>
>> Further ideas : I tried booting a Gentoo kernel with the Ubuntu /
>> & avoided the kernel panic, but ran into an Ubuntu init error,
>> so there's nothing inherently wrong with /dev/sda8 .
>>
>> Also, I checked the Ubuntu kernel config file, conveniently in /boot ,
>> which has ReiserFS configured as a module, whereas Ext2 & Ext3 are 'y'.
>> That suggests that it's running into a road-block:
>> it needs to use ReiserFS to start 'init',
>> but can't load modules till it has already started 'init'.
>>
>> In that case, I need to re-install Ubuntu using Ext2 or Ext3 .
>> In fact, it wb as a bug in Ubuntu's "advanced" install.
>>
>> Does that make sense to anyone else ?
>
> Or the module could be in the initrd -- should be. Also, be sure you
> have root= in your append line.

Yes, I'd be surprised if Ubuntu didn't have reiserfs easily available.

OP: see what man page of mount has to say about reiserfs,
--tail/--notail and LILO.

ext3 doesn't sound so bad any more after reading the man page section.

--
Arttu V. -- Running Gentoo is like running with scissors

Old 07-12-2010, 08:44 PM
Mick

On Monday 12 July 2010 17:21:52 Philip Webb wrote:
> Further ideas : I tried booting a Gentoo kernel with the Ubuntu /
> & avoided the kernel panic, but ran into an Ubuntu init error,
> so there's nothing inherently wrong with /dev/sda8 .
>
> Also, I checked the Ubuntu kernel config file, conveniently in /boot ,
> which has ReiserFS configured as a module, whereas Ext2 & Ext3 are 'y'.
> That suggests that it's running into a road-block:
> it needs to use ReiserFS to start 'init',
> but can't load modules till it has already started 'init'.
>
> In that case, I need to re-install Ubuntu using Ext2 or Ext3 .
> In fact, it wb as a bug in Ubuntu's "advanced" install.
>
> Does that make sense to anyone else ?

No, I must have installed at least 3 Ubuntus in the last 6 months, all of them
on reiserfs. No problem booting them.

Unless you have stored a kernel image in a partition (e.g. /boot) that your
lilo can read I don't think you'll be able to boot Ubuntu:

image=/boot/your_Ubuntu_image
label=Ubuntu
append="ramdisk_size=2900000"
vga=normal
initrd=/boot/your_ubuntu_initrd.gz
read-only
root=/dev/sda8

I don't use LILO so check the above to make sure there are no errors, and
adjust it to your circumstances.

Finally, to check that your Ubuntu installation is correct you may be able to
boot it using the Ubuntu LiveCD (I recall it offers the option to boot a
partition on the hard drive, but I'm not 100% sure).
Mick