Old 07-12-2010, 04:21 PM
Philip Webb

Default anyone using Lilo to dual-boot ? -- discovery

Further ideas : I tried booting a Gentoo kernel with the Ubuntu /
& avoided the kernel panic, but ran into an Ubuntu init error,
so there's nothing inherently wrong with /dev/sda8 .

Also, I checked the Ubuntu kernel config file, conveniently in /boot ,
which has ReiserFS configured as a module, whereas Ext2 & Ext3 are 'y'.
That suggests that it's running into a road-block:
it needs to use ReiserFS to start 'init',
but can't load modules till it has already started 'init'.

In that case, I need to re-install Ubuntu using Ext2 or Ext3 .
In fact, it wb as a bug in Ubuntu's "advanced" install.

Does that make sense to anyone else ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 07-12-2010, 05:48 PM

Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:

> Further ideas : I tried booting a Gentoo kernel with the Ubuntu /
> & avoided the kernel panic, but ran into an Ubuntu init error,
> so there's nothing inherently wrong with /dev/sda8 .
>
> Also, I checked the Ubuntu kernel config file, conveniently in /boot ,
> which has ReiserFS configured as a module, whereas Ext2 & Ext3 are 'y'.
> That suggests that it's running into a road-block:
> it needs to use ReiserFS to start 'init',
> but can't load modules till it has already started 'init'.
>
> In that case, I need to re-install Ubuntu using Ext2 or Ext3 .
> In fact, it wb as a bug in Ubuntu's "advanced" install.
>
> Does that make sense to anyone else ?

Or the module could be in the initrd -- should be. Also, be sure you
have root= in your append line.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici