Old 07-12-2010, 07:11 AM
Helmut Jarausch

Default logrotate fails since a few days

Hi,

since a few days logrotate is failing due to
error: stat of /var/account/pacct failed: No such file or directory

What has changed, what am I missing?

Many thanks for a hint,
Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Old 07-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Enrico Weigelt

* Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since a few days logrotate is failing due to
> error: stat of /var/account/pacct failed: No such file or directory

do you have the process accounting deamon running ?

did you instruct logrotate to create this logfile if missing ?

cu

phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@metux.de
mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666

Old 07-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Helmut Jarausch

On 07/12/10 11:00:00, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> * Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > since a few days logrotate is failing due to
> > error: stat of /var/account/pacct failed: No such file or directory
>
> do you have the process accounting deamon running ?

No, and I've never done so.

> did you instruct logrotate to create this logfile if missing ?

No, but how to do that? I have'ne found anything in the man file?

Thanks,
Helmut.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:04 AM
Enrico Weigelt

* Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> On 07/12/10 11:00:00, Enrico Weigelt wrote:

> > do you have the process accounting deamon running ?
>
> No, and I've never done so.

Thats why the logfile is missing ;-)
If you dont have that daemon running (and so nobody write to that
logfile), you could simply remove it from the logrotate config.
(/etc/logrotate.conf and /etc/logrotate.d/*)

> > did you instruct logrotate to create this logfile if missing ?
> >
> No, but how to do that? I have'ne found anything in the man file?

Please check if there's an "nocreate" flag set for that logfile.