Old 07-12-2010, 06:35 AM
Mick

Default anyone using Lilo to dual-boot ?

On Monday 12 July 2010 06:52:03 Philip Webb wrote:
> My cousin in England wants to try out Linux & has an Ubuntu Live CD.
> To help her, I've installed the same on a separate partition in my box.
> The partition is /dev/sda8 & is formatted ReiserFS.
> I use Lilo as boot manager & don't want to change to Grub
> just to offer temporary help to someone,
> so I refused to let the Ubuntu installer overwrite my MBR,
> hoping to get Lilo to see Ubuntu via an appropriate 'lilo.conf'.
> I've managed to get Lilo to add Ubuntu to the boot menu,
> but only by mounting /dev/sda8 as /z/mount8 & using the line
>
> image = /z/mount8/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic
>
> However, when I reboot & select that image via its label,
> I'm getting the hoary old 'VFS: can't open root device "808"'.
> I've tried adding a dir /z/mount8 in the Ubuntu partition
> with a symlink of 'boot' to '../../boot' there, but it doesn't help.
> This does look rather messy, but I just want to be able to boot Ubuntu
> in order to advise my cousin when she starts using her version.
>
> Is anyone successfully dual-booting Linux distros using Lilo ?
> Might it be ReiserFS ? -- should I re-install Ubuntu with another FS ?

I think Ubuntu is using GRUB2. Anyhow, I suggest you install a separate boot
partition with an ext2 fs and you install GRUB2 there instead of the MBR.
Then chainload it from your LILO bootloader menu.
Mick

Old 07-12-2010, 07:37 AM
Philip Webb

100712 Mick suggested :
> install a separate boot partition with an ext2 fs
> and install GRUB2 there instead of the MBR.
> Then chainload it from your LILO bootloader menu.

Thanks for your very prompt response. I'm not sure if I've got it right,
but I can easily re-install Ubuntu with a /boot partition using Ext2 ,
then tell Lilo to look there for the kernel image. Is that what you mean ?

Any other suggestions are also welcome.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb