Old 07-11-2010, 06:42 PM

Default fate of nmh

In check ing for updates today, I found the following:

- mail-client/nmh-1.3-r1 (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Diego E. Pettenò <flameeyes@gentoo.org> (24 Jun 2010)
# on behalf of QA team
#
# Fails to build with Berkeley DB 5.0 (#319937); current
# stable fails to build with current stable glibc (bug
# #320645), last activity in both ebuild and upstream in 2008
# (and even then it wasn't from maintainers); uses $EDITOR
# and $PAGER at build-time (bug #294762, and slightly related
# bug #262150. One configure test becomes interactive if
# app-editors/elvis is installed (bug #323541). Multiple
# collisions.
#
# Feel free to pick this up and maintain it properly, but
# unless a new maintainer can be found, this package is
# slated for removal.
#
# Removal on 2010-08-23

This is what I use for my mail reader -- with the emacs interface -- so
I am wondering what I can do once this happens -- I imagine I can keep
it installed, but it would not be a good situation.

thanks in advance for any ideas.

How do
you spend it?

John Covici
covici@ccs.covici.com

Old 07-11-2010, 08:14 PM
walt

On 07/11/2010 11:42 AM, covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> In check ing for updates today, I found the following:
>
> - mail-client/nmh-1.3-r1 (masked by: package.mask)

> # Removal on 2010-08-23

> This is what I use for my mail reader -- with the emacs interface -- so
> I am wondering what I can do once this happens -- I imagine I can keep
> it installed, but it would not be a good situation.

emacs can use several mail backends, or you can use gnus to read mail,
and that also can use several backends. Too complicated for me, so
I use thunderbird instead.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 11 July 2010 20:42:54 covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
> In check ing for updates today, I found the following:
>
> - mail-client/nmh-1.3-r1 (masked by: package.mask)
> /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
> # Diego E. Pettenò <flameeyes@gentoo.org> (24 Jun 2010)
> # on behalf of QA team
> #
> # Fails to build with Berkeley DB 5.0 (#319937); current
> # stable fails to build with current stable glibc (bug
> # #320645), last activity in both ebuild and upstream in 2008
> # (and even then it wasn't from maintainers); uses $EDITOR
> # and $PAGER at build-time (bug #294762, and slightly related
> # bug #262150. One configure test becomes interactive if
> # app-editors/elvis is installed (bug #323541). Multiple
> # collisions.
> #
> # Feel free to pick this up and maintain it properly, but
> # unless a new maintainer can be found, this package is
> # slated for removal.
> #
> # Removal on 2010-08-23
>
> This is what I use for my mail reader -- with the emacs interface -- so
> I am wondering what I can do once this happens -- I imagine I can keep
> it installed, but it would not be a good situation.
>
> thanks in advance for any ideas.

Pick one:

1. use another mailer. There's no shortage of them
2. fix nmh yourself. It seems like no-one else is going to.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Bill Longman

On 07/11/2010 01:47 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Sunday 11 July 2010 20:42:54 covici@ccs.covici.com wrote:
>> # unless a new maintainer can be found, this package is
>> # slated for removal.
>> #
>> # Removal on 2010-08-23
>>
>> This is what I use for my mail reader -- with the emacs interface -- so
>> I am wondering what I can do once this happens -- I imagine I can keep
>> it installed, but it would not be a good situation.
>>
>> thanks in advance for any ideas.
>
> Pick one:
>
> 1. use another mailer. There's no shortage of them
> 2. fix nmh yourself. It seems like no-one else is going to.

Or, you can choose to live with it as is. You might want to look at the
"quickpkg" man page and save nmh and mask it out.

This is one of the concepts that will "blindside" a new Gentoo user. One
usually thinks that once a package is found in Portage that he can then
rely on it ~ad infinitum~. Well, the folks who write FOSS sometimes just
move on and unless someone picks up the gauntlet to maintain the
package, it withers and dies.