Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   gcc upgrade (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/397215-gcc-upgrade.html)

Nikos Chantziaras 07-10-2010 12:57 AM

gcc upgrade
 
On 07/10/2010 04:16 AM, Valmor de Almeida wrote:


Hello,

I just updated the portage tree and gcc was upgraded. I have set gcc to
the newer version

-> gcc-config -l
[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.3.4
[2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.3 *

and I am trying to rebuild the whole system with

emerge -e system
emerge -e world

assuming this all goes without trouble (will take a while), should I
unmerge version 4.3.4?


There's no reason to. Unless you don't need it anymore.

Dale 07-10-2010 01:02 AM

gcc upgrade
 
Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

On 07/10/2010 04:16 AM, Valmor de Almeida wrote:


Hello,

I just updated the portage tree and gcc was upgraded. I have set gcc to
the newer version

-> gcc-config -l
[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.3.4
[2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.3 *

and I am trying to rebuild the whole system with

emerge -e system
emerge -e world

assuming this all goes without trouble (will take a while), should I
unmerge version 4.3.4?


There's no reason to. Unless you don't need it anymore.



Or he doesn't like cruft or needs the drive space.

Is rebuilding the whole system needed for that upgrade tho?

Dale

:-) :-)

Valmor de Almeida 07-10-2010 01:16 AM

gcc upgrade
 
Hello,

I just updated the portage tree and gcc was upgraded. I have set gcc to
the newer version

-> gcc-config -l
[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.3.4
[2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.3 *

and I am trying to rebuild the whole system with

emerge -e system
emerge -e world

assuming this all goes without trouble (will take a while), should I
unmerge version 4.3.4?

Thanks,

--
Valmor

Mark Knecht 07-10-2010 01:24 AM

gcc upgrade
 
On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>
>> On 07/10/2010 04:16 AM, Valmor de Almeida wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I just updated the portage tree and gcc was upgraded. I have set gcc to
>>> the newer version
>>>
>>> -> *gcc-config -l
>>> *[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.3.4
>>> *[2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.3 *
>>>
>>> and I am trying to rebuild the whole system with
>>>
>>> *emerge -e system
>>> *emerge -e world
>>>
>>> assuming this all goes without trouble (will take a while), should I
>>> unmerge version 4.3.4?
>>
>> There's no reason to. *Unless you don't need it anymore.
>>
>
> Or he doesn't like cruft or needs the drive space.
>
> Is rebuilding the whole system needed for that upgrade tho?
>
> Dale
>
> :-) *:-)
>
>

Not needed but I'm doing it.

- Mark

Dale 07-10-2010 02:26 AM

gcc upgrade
 
Mark Knecht wrote:

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:


Nikos Chantziaras wrote:


On 07/10/2010 04:16 AM, Valmor de Almeida wrote:


Hello,

I just updated the portage tree and gcc was upgraded. I have set gcc to
the newer version

-> gcc-config -l
[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.3.4
[2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.3 *

and I am trying to rebuild the whole system with

emerge -e system
emerge -e world

assuming this all goes without trouble (will take a while), should I
unmerge version 4.3.4?


There's no reason to. Unless you don't need it anymore.



Or he doesn't like cruft or needs the drive space.

Is rebuilding the whole system needed for that upgrade tho?

Dale

:-) :-)




Not needed but I'm doing it.

- Mark




I'm not going to tell you not to. I usually do at least a emerge -e
system myself. I at least want to make certain I can boot up. I'm not
fond of doing the chroot thing. :/


Hope everything compiles fine.

Dale

:-) :-)

Mark Knecht 07-10-2010 02:32 AM

gcc upgrade
 
On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 7:26 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 6:02 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@gmail.com> *wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 07/10/2010 04:16 AM, Valmor de Almeida wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Hello,
>>>>>
>>>>> I just updated the portage tree and gcc was upgraded. I have set gcc to
>>>>> the newer version
>>>>>
>>>>> -> * *gcc-config -l
>>>>> *[1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.3.4
>>>>> *[2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.3 *
>>>>>
>>>>> and I am trying to rebuild the whole system with
>>>>>
>>>>> *emerge -e system
>>>>> *emerge -e world
>>>>>
>>>>> assuming this all goes without trouble (will take a while), should I
>>>>> unmerge version 4.3.4?
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> There's no reason to. *Unless you don't need it anymore.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> Or he doesn't like cruft or needs the drive space.
>>>
>>> Is rebuilding the whole system needed for that upgrade tho?
>>>
>>> Dale
>>>
>>> :-) *:-)
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>> Not needed but I'm doing it.
>>
>> - Mark
>>
>>
>
> I'm not going to tell you not to. *I usually do at least a emerge -e system
> myself. *I at least want to make certain I can boot up. *I'm not fond of
> doing the chroot thing. *:/
>
> Hope everything compiles fine.
>
> Dale

I got tired of dealing with my libpng problem by hand. I kicked off an
emerge -e @world in hopes that I'll just come back in a few hours to a
fixed up system.

We'll see....

- Mark

Valmor de Almeida 07-10-2010 02:45 AM

gcc upgrade
 
Dale wrote:
[snip]
>
> Is rebuilding the whole system needed for that upgrade tho?
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)
>

Thought it would be a good idea to have a consistent system; not sure
whether it is necessary.

Thanks for the replies.

--
Valmor

walt 07-10-2010 03:02 AM

gcc upgrade
 
On 07/09/2010 07:45 PM, Valmor de Almeida wrote:
> Dale wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> Is rebuilding the whole system needed for that upgrade tho?
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) :-)
>>
>
> Thought it would be a good idea to have a consistent system; not sure
> whether it is necessary.
>
> Thanks for the replies.

The only real need to re-emerge packages is if the new gcc version updates
your version of libstdc++, because that lib is supplied by each new version
of the gcc package:

$ls -l /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.3/libstdc++*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2237388 2010-06-06 13:16 /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.3/libstdc++.a
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 2010-06-06 13:17 /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.3/libstdc++.so -> libstdc++.so.6.0.13*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 2010-06-06 13:17 /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.3/libstdc++.so.6 -> libstdc++.so.6.0.13*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 954472 2010-06-06 13:16 /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.3/libstdc++.so.6.0.13*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2384572 2010-06-06 13:16 /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.3/libstdc++_pic.a

The only packages on your machine that would be affected by the gcc update are those
packages that are linked against the OLD version of libstdc++.so. Running revdep-rebuild
should rebuild/reinstall all of those packages. Theoretically speaking, of course :)

Neil Bothwick 07-10-2010 09:32 AM

gcc upgrade
 
On Fri, 09 Jul 2010 20:02:23 -0500, Dale wrote:

> >> assuming this all goes without trouble (will take a while), should I
> >> unmerge version 4.3.4?
> >
> > There's no reason to. Unless you don't need it anymore.
> >
>
> Or he doesn't like cruft or needs the drive space.
>
> Is rebuilding the whole system needed for that upgrade tho?

Only if you want to remove the old version, if only to ensure that
everything builds with 4.4. Every time I remove 4.3, I find myself
re-emerging it because some odd package won't build with 4.4, so I ended
up leaving it there.


--
Neil Bothwick

Last words of a Windows user: = Why does that work now?

Alan McKinnon 07-10-2010 11:52 AM

gcc upgrade
 
On Saturday 10 July 2010 02:57:42 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 07/10/2010 04:16 AM, Valmor de Almeida wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just updated the portage tree and gcc was upgraded. I have set gcc to
> > the newer version
> >
> > -> gcc-config -l
> >
> > [1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.3.4
> > [2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.3 *
> >
> > and I am trying to rebuild the whole system with
> >
> > emerge -e system
> > emerge -e world
> >
> > assuming this all goes without trouble (will take a while), should I
> > unmerge version 4.3.4?
>
> There's no reason to. Unless you don't need it anymore.

And why is the OP rebuilding world at all? There's no reason to do that
either, there's no API/ABI break between 4.3.4 and 4.3.3

Unless he's the kind of guy who likes to rip his Ferrari apart for kicks and
put it all back together again so that not even the factory can notice...


--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:53 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.