Old 07-14-2010, 05:00 AM
Dale

Default gcc upgrade

Mark Knecht wrote:

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 8:50 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

Valmor de Almeida wrote:

<SNIP>

So emerge -evp is useful to get those last inconsistencies out of the
system.

--
Valmor

You can add this option to help with those: --with-bdeps y I consider it
-D on steroids. I actually added it to make.conf so that I don't have to
type it in each time.

Dale

Good catch Dale. I have it in make.conf also

- Mark

I was the second one to catch that tho. I think it was Alan that told
me that when I ran into a similar issue. After a bit we figured out
that it was a really deep dependency that was causing me grief. It does
take portage longer to calculate dependencies when you add that tho.
That little swirling thing goes at it for a while when I do my updates.
Then again, it has a lot to think about:

Packages installed: 946
Packages in world: 78
Packages in system: 50
Required packages: 946

I'd be scratching my head too.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 07-14-2010, 06:37 AM
Valmor de Almeida

Dale wrote:
> Valmor de Almeida wrote:
>> Mark Knecht wrote:

>>> Oh, and besides liking the smell of fresh baked 1 and 0's in the
>>> morning emerge -e @world was an easy way to solve my libpng problem.
>>> Woke up this morning to a freshly baked Gentoo machine.
>>>
>>> - Mark
>>>

>> One interesting thing on the new Ferrari. If I do
>>
>> -> emerge --pretend --verbose --newuse --update --deep world
>>
>> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>>
>> Calculating dependencies... done!
>>
>> Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB
>>
>> However
>>
>> -> emerge -evp world
>>
>> [ebuild U ] x11-proto/scrnsaverproto-1.2.0 [1.1.0] 49 kB [0]
>> [ebuild U ] sys-devel/automake-1.10.3 [1.10.2] 936 kB [0]
>>
>> Total: 536 packages (2 upgrades, 534 reinstalls), Size of downloads:
>> 1,015 kB
>> Portage tree and overlays:
>> [0] /usr/portage
>> [1] /var/lib/layman/science
>>
>> Where
>>
>> -> revdep-rebuild --ignore --pretend --verbose
>>
>> * Checking dynamic linking consistency
>> [ 100% ]
>>
>> * Dynamic linking on your system is consistent... All done.
>>
>> and
>>
>> -> emerge --depclean --pretend --verbose

>> Packages installed: 538
>> Packages in world: 69
>> Packages in system: 50
>> Required packages: 538
>> Number to remove: 0
>>
>> So emerge -evp is useful to get those last inconsistencies out of the
>> system.
>>
>> --
>> Valmor
>>

> You can add this option to help with those: --with-bdeps y I consider
> it -D on steroids. I actually added it to make.conf so that I don't
> have to type it in each time.
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

Will use. Thanks,

--
Valmor

Old 07-14-2010, 02:48 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 14 July 2010 06:39:51 Valmor de Almeida wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 6:28 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 4:52 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>
> >> wrote: <SNIP>

> >> Precisely... :-)
> >
> > Oh, and besides liking the smell of fresh baked 1 and 0's in the
> > morning emerge -e @world was an easy way to solve my libpng problem.
> > Woke up this morning to a freshly baked Gentoo machine.
> >
> > - Mark
>
> One interesting thing on the new Ferrari. If I do
>
> -> emerge --pretend --verbose --newuse --update --deep world

> Calculating dependencies... done!
>
> Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB
>
> However
>
> -> emerge -evp world
>
> [ebuild U ] x11-proto/scrnsaverproto-1.2.0 [1.1.0] 49 kB [0]
> [ebuild U ] sys-devel/automake-1.10.3 [1.10.2] 936 kB [0]
>
> Total: 536 packages (2 upgrades, 534 reinstalls), Size of downloads:
> 1,015 kB
> Portage tree and overlays:
> [0] /usr/portage
> [1] /var/lib/layman/science
>
> Where
>
> -> revdep-rebuild --ignore --pretend --verbose
>
> * Checking dynamic linking consistency
> [ 100% ]
>
> * Dynamic linking on your system is consistent... All done.
>
> and
>
> -> emerge --depclean --pretend --verbose

> Packages installed: 538
> Packages in world: 69
> Packages in system: 50
> Required packages: 538
> Number to remove: 0
>
> So emerge -evp is useful to get those last inconsistencies out of the
> system.

You need to read the portage man pages. There is nothing inconsistent about
your system and there is nothing to fix. So revdep-rebuild was pointless.

Those two packages are BUILD DEPENDS, not RUNTIME DEPENDS.
They only need to be upgraded when you emerge something that will use then in
the build phase.

Portage has had this nice feature for ages. You can switch it off in make.conf

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 14 July 2010 05:49:48 Valmor de Almeida wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 6:28 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 4:52 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>
> >> wrote: <SNIP>

> >> Precisely... :-)
> >
> > Oh, and besides liking the smell of fresh baked 1 and 0's in the
> > morning emerge -e @world was an easy way to solve my libpng problem.
> > Woke up this morning to a freshly baked Gentoo machine.
> >
> > - Mark
>
> Exactly. My Ferrari is back with a brand new engine and no libpng issue.

Lets follow this logic.

You blindly wanted to re-emerge all of world because an over-reaching gcc
upgrade guide said so. Coincidentally, there was a monumental libpng cock-up
hanging around which emerge -e world just happened to fix.

And this somehow validates the gcc upgrade guide?

You just happened to have a fortunate side-effect at the right time. Doesn't
change the fact that the author of the guide wrote a misleading document.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-14-2010, 03:45 PM

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wednesday 14 July 2010 05:49:48 Valmor de Almeida wrote:
>> Mark Knecht wrote:

>> > Oh, and besides liking the smell of fresh baked 1 and 0's in the
>> > morning emerge -e @world was an easy way to solve my libpng problem.
>> > Woke up this morning to a freshly baked Gentoo machine.
>> >
>> > - Mark
>>
>> Exactly. My Ferrari is back with a brand new engine and no libpng issue.
>

> Lets follow this logic.
>
> You blindly wanted to re-emerge all of world because an over-reaching gcc
> upgrade guide said so. Coincidentally, there was a monumental libpng cock-up
> hanging around which emerge -e world just happened to fix.

And which could have been solved with revdep-rebuild (or at least
running it here after removing the previous version solved it - I just
followed flameeyes guide).

Emerge -e was like buying a new car when it would have been cheaper and
easier to just replace the fault part(s).

--
Nuno J. Silva
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg