Old 07-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Mark Knecht

Default gcc upgrade

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 4:52 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
> Unless he's the kind of guy who likes to rip his Ferrari apart for kicks and
> put it all back together again so that not even the factory can notice...

Precisely... :-)

Old 07-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Mark Knecht

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 6:28 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 4:52 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>> Unless he's the kind of guy who likes to rip his Ferrari apart for kicks and
>> put it all back together again so that not even the factory can notice...
>
> Precisely... :-)

Oh, and besides liking the smell of fresh baked 1 and 0's in the
morning emerge -e @world was an easy way to solve my libpng problem.
Woke up this morning to a freshly baked Gentoo machine.

- Mark

Old 07-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Enrico Weigelt

* Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, and besides liking the smell of fresh baked 1 and 0's in the
> morning emerge -e @world was an easy way to solve my libpng problem.
> Woke up this morning to a freshly baked Gentoo machine.

Now we just need support for emerging fresh and hot coffee ;-)

BTW: regularily emerging world could be a fine testbed.
Maybe I'll set up an chroot or container for that on some
idling boxes ...

cu

phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@metux.de
mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666

Old 07-12-2010, 08:18 AM

In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
> On Saturday 10 July 2010 02:57:42 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
>> On 07/10/2010 04:16 AM, Valmor de Almeida wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I just updated the portage tree and gcc was upgraded. I have set gcc to
>> > the newer version
>> >
>> > -> gcc-config -l
>> >
>> > [1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.3.4
>> > [2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.3 *
>> >
>> > and I am trying to rebuild the whole system with
>> >
>> > emerge -e system
>> > emerge -e world
>> >
>> > assuming this all goes without trouble (will take a while), should I
>> > unmerge version 4.3.4?
>>
>> There's no reason to. Unless you don't need it anymore.
>
> And why is the OP rebuilding world at all? There's no reason to do that
> either, there's no API/ABI break between 4.3.4 and 4.3.3

The difference is between 4.3.4 and 4.4.3, not 4.3.3

Gentoo has the new GCC slotted and the handbook

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml

Suggests emerge -e system and emerge -e world in the "General Upgrade
Instructions.

If you think the handbook is wrong or my interpretation of it wrong
then *please* tell me. I would prefer *not* to go through this nightmare
whenever GCC does a major version bump.

Gregory.
Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

Old 07-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 12 July 2010 10:18:48 ZekeyG@gmail.com wrote:
> In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:

> >> There's no reason to. Unless you don't need it anymore.
> >
> > And why is the OP rebuilding world at all? There's no reason to do that
> > either, there's no API/ABI break between 4.3.4 and 4.3.3
>
> The difference is between 4.3.4 and 4.4.3, not 4.3.3.

Typo.

> Gentoo has the new GCC slotted and the handbook

Of course is slotted. gcc has been slotted since the dawn of time so that you
can install mutiple compilers and use any one you feel like at any point.
Tools exists to switch the current compiler in use

> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml
>
> Suggests emerge -e system and emerge -e world in the "General Upgrade
> Instructions.

It "suggests", it does not say it is mandatory with description of why.

Periodically on this list this topic comes up and we re-hash again, for the
unmpteenth time, why the docs are misleading. That doc was apparently written
by someone who was looking for ways to minimize the amount of mail he gets. If
he says to rebuild system and world, then most of the questions he gets asked
just go away. Can't fault the dev for that....

This is all in the mail archives. Most of the whinging done by me actually

> If you think the handbook is wrong or my interpretation of it wrong
> then *please* tell me. I would prefer *not* to go through this nightmare
> whenever GCC does a major version bump.

You do not have to do what the handbook tells you, you just have to realise
what the handbook hopes to achieve. As hinted above, the intended result
appears to be least hassle for the gentoo devs and document writers with
maximal guarantee that your box will work afterwards regardless fo how long it
takes or number of cpu cycles burnt. It's not necessarily the most convenient
way.

I have not had to rebuild world due to a compiler upgrade since sometime
around the late 3 series (there was a C++ ABI change).

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 07-12-2010, 08:52 PM

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:

> On Monday 12 July 2010 10:18:48 ZekeyG@gmail.com wrote:

And how do we know that?

I, myself, wonder, as the previous version here is picked by depclean
for removal. Can we trust depclean? I suppose if a package didn't
compile and had no explicit dependency on the gcc version, that would be
a good reason for a bug report and an ebuild change.

>> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml
>>
>> Suggests emerge -e system and emerge -e world in the "General Upgrade
>> Instructions.
>
> It "suggests", it does not say it is mandatory with description of why.
>
> Periodically on this list this topic comes up and we re-hash again, for the
> unmpteenth time, why the docs are misleading. That doc was apparently written
> by someone who was looking for ways to minimize the amount of mail he gets. If
> he says to rebuild system and world, then most of the questions he gets asked
> just go away. Can't fault the dev for that....

Warning: following this handbook might lead to an infinite loop, when
you sync after recompiling everything and you find a newer gcc version
was marked stable, and you have to start again.

If keeping both versions prevents the troubles fixed by recompiling
everything, then it's just not worth it removing the old version (unless
you own really fast machine).

Suggesting "emerge -e" is anyway a possible solution for problems, just
not the one to choose first.

Can't we rely on revdep-rebuild, or write something to catch known
upgrade issues? It sounds a

while not okay
run revdep-rebuild

would be a better solution (but I don't know whether revdep-rebuild
catches the issues --- probably not if there is an interface change but
the library uses the same name as before...).

> This is all in the mail archives. Most of the whinging done by me actually
>
>> If you think the handbook is wrong or my interpretation of it wrong
>> then *please* tell me. I would prefer *not* to go through this nightmare
>> whenever GCC does a major version bump.
>
> You do not have to do what the handbook tells you, you just have to realise
> what the handbook hopes to achieve. As hinted above, the intended result
> appears to be least hassle for the gentoo devs and document writers with
> maximal guarantee that your box will work afterwards regardless fo how long it
> takes or number of cpu cycles burnt. It's not necessarily the most convenient
> way.
>
> I have not had to rebuild world due to a compiler upgrade since sometime
> around the late 3 series (there was a C++ ABI change).

The one which involved emerging libstdc++-v3, and which rendered the
whole system unusable due to a chicken and an egg?

--
Nuno J. Silva
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg

Old 07-14-2010, 03:49 AM
Valmor de Almeida

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 6:28 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 4:52 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
>> <SNIP>
>>> Unless he's the kind of guy who likes to rip his Ferrari apart for kicks and
>>> put it all back together again so that not even the factory can notice...
>> Precisely... :-)
>>

> Oh, and besides liking the smell of fresh baked 1 and 0's in the
> morning emerge -e @world was an easy way to solve my libpng problem.
> Woke up this morning to a freshly baked Gentoo machine.
>
> - Mark

Exactly. My Ferrari is back with a brand new engine and no libpng issue.

--
Valmor

Old 07-14-2010, 03:50 AM
Dale

Valmor de Almeida wrote:

Mark Knecht wrote:

Unless he's the kind of guy who likes to rip his Ferrari apart for kicks and
put it all back together again so that not even the factory can notice...

Precisely... :-)

Oh, and besides liking the smell of fresh baked 1 and 0's in the
morning emerge -e @world was an easy way to solve my libpng problem.
Woke up this morning to a freshly baked Gentoo machine.

- Mark

One interesting thing on the new Ferrari. If I do

-> emerge --pretend --verbose --newuse --update --deep world

Calculating dependencies... done!

Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB

However

-> emerge -evp world

[ebuild U ] x11-proto/scrnsaverproto-1.2.0 [1.1.0] 49 kB [0]
[ebuild U ] sys-devel/automake-1.10.3 [1.10.2] 936 kB [0]

Total: 536 packages (2 upgrades, 534 reinstalls), Size of downloads:
1,015 kB
Portage tree and overlays:
[0] /usr/portage
[1] /var/lib/layman/science

Where

-> revdep-rebuild --ignore --pretend --verbose

* Checking dynamic linking consistency
[ 100% ]

* Dynamic linking on your system is consistent... All done.

and

-> emerge --depclean --pretend --verbose

No packages selected for removal by depclean

Packages installed: 538
Packages in world: 69
Packages in system: 50
Required packages: 538
Number to remove: 0

So emerge -evp is useful to get those last inconsistencies out of the
system.

--
Valmor

You can add this option to help with those: --with-bdeps y I consider
it -D on steroids. I actually added it to make.conf so that I don't
have to type it in each time.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 07-14-2010, 04:34 AM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 8:50 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:
> Valmor de Almeida wrote:
<SNIP>

>> So emerge -evp is useful to get those last inconsistencies out of the
>> system.
>>
>> --
>> Valmor
>>

> You can add this option to help with those: *--with-bdeps y *I consider it
> -D on steroids. *I actually added it to make.conf so that I don't have to
> type it in each time.
>
> Dale

Good catch Dale. I have it in make.conf also

- Mark

Old 07-14-2010, 04:39 AM
Valmor de Almeida