Old 07-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Grant Edwards

Default emacs font problem

Recently emacs (running in X "window" mode) seems to have developed a
font problem.

There are two cases where text displays as a mixture of filled and
unfilled rectangles:

1) When the mouse pointer hovers over certain things a balloon pops
up containing nothing but black filled rectangles.

2) When you select "About Emacs" from the Help menu, the logo renders
properly at the top of the screen, but the rest is blocks and
rectangles: http://www.panix.com/~grante/emacsabout.png

Normal editing is fine.

Google hasn't found anything except discussion of problems with
a misssing default font (the one used during editing), and I don't
have any problems with that.

Any ideas?

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I have the power to
at HALT PRODUCTION on all

Old 07-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Allan Gottlieb

Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> writes:

> Recently emacs (running in X "window" mode) seems to have developed a
> font problem.
>
> There are two cases where text displays as a mixture of filled and
> unfilled rectangles:
>
> 1) When the mouse pointer hovers over certain things a balloon pops
> up containing nothing but black filled rectangles.
>
> 2) When you select "About Emacs" from the Help menu, the logo renders
> properly at the top of the screen, but the rest is blocks and
> rectangles: http://www.panix.com/~grante/emacsabout.png
>
> Normal editing is fine.
>
> Google hasn't found anything except discussion of problems with
> a misssing default font (the one used during editing), and I don't
> have any problems with that.
>
> Any ideas?

Does this happen when you invoke "emacs -Q"?

allan

Old 07-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-07-08, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
> Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Recently emacs (running in X "window" mode) seems to have developed a
>> font problem.
>>
>> There are two cases where text displays as a mixture of filled and
>> unfilled rectangles:
>>
>> 1) When the mouse pointer hovers over certain things a balloon pops
>> up containing nothing but black filled rectangles.
>>
>> 2) When you select "About Emacs" from the Help menu, the logo renders
>> properly at the top of the screen, but the rest is blocks and
>> rectangles: http://www.panix.com/~grante/emacsabout.png
>>
>> Normal editing is fine.
>>
>> Google hasn't found anything except discussion of problems with
>> a misssing default font (the one used during editing), and I don't
>> have any problems with that.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Does this happen when you invoke "emacs -Q"?

Yes.

In the "about emacs" screen, and all of the "balloons" that pop up
when the mouse hovers over various things, the text is rendered as
blocks/rectangles.

The menus, status line, and acutal editing windows are all fine.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! ONE LIFE TO LIVE for
at ALL MY CHILDREN in ANOTHER

Old 07-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Allan Gottlieb

Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2010-07-08, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
>> Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Recently emacs (running in X "window" mode) seems to have developed a
>>> font problem.
>>>
>>> There are two cases where text displays as a mixture of filled and
>>> unfilled rectangles:
>>>
>>> 1) When the mouse pointer hovers over certain things a balloon pops
>>> up containing nothing but black filled rectangles.
>>>
>>> 2) When you select "About Emacs" from the Help menu, the logo renders
>>> properly at the top of the screen, but the rest is blocks and
>>> rectangles: http://www.panix.com/~grante/emacsabout.png
>>>
>>> Normal editing is fine.
>>>
>>> Google hasn't found anything except discussion of problems with
>>> a misssing default font (the one used during editing), and I don't
>>> have any problems with that.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Does this happen when you invoke "emacs -Q"?
>
> Yes.
>
> In the "about emacs" screen, and all of the "balloons" that pop up
> when the mouse hovers over various things, the text is rendered as
> blocks/rectangles.
>
> The menus, status line, and acutal editing windows are all fine.

Perhaps it is a font issue. I just did emacs -q (-Q eliminates the
splash screen) and then did C-u C-x = while the cursor was on the "b" in
"Learn basic keystroke commands". The help buffer includes
display: by this font (glyph code)
xft:-unknown-DejaVu Sans-normal-normal-normal-*-20-*-75-75-*-0-iso10646-1 (#x45)

What does C-u C-x = give on your system and do you have that font
available?

These are just guesses; I have not experience any such problem myself.

allan

Old 07-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-07-09, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:

> Perhaps it is a font issue.

Yes, I think it probably is.

> I just did emacs -q (-Q eliminates the
> splash screen) and then did C-u C-x = while the cursor was on the "b" in
> "Learn basic keystroke commands". The help buffer includes
> display: by this font (glyph code)
> xft:-unknown-DejaVu Sans-normal-normal-normal-*-20-*-75-75-*-0-iso10646-1 (#x45)
>
> What does C-u C-x = give on your system

character: b (98, #o142, #x62)
preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
code point: 0x62
syntax: w which means: word
category: .:Base, a:ASCII, l:Latin, r:Roman
buffer code: #x62
file code: #x62 (encoded by coding system nil)
display: no font available

> and do you have that font available?

No, I don't seem to have Sans-normal-normal-normal-*-20-*-75-75-*-0-iso10646-1
availble according to xfontsel.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! My polyvinyl cowboy
at wallet was made in Hong

Old 07-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Allan Gottlieb

Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> writes:

>> Perhaps it is a font issue.
>
> Yes, I think it probably is.
>
>> I just did emacs -q (-Q eliminates the
>> splash screen) and then did C-u C-x = while the cursor was on the "b" in
>> "Learn basic keystroke commands". The help buffer includes
>> display: by this font (glyph code)
>> xft:-unknown-DejaVu Sans-normal-normal-normal-*-20-*-75-75-*-0-iso10646-1 (#x45)
>>
>> What does C-u C-x = give on your system
>
> character: b (98, #o142, #x62)
> preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
> code point: 0x62
> syntax: w which means: word
> category: .:Base, a:ASCII, l:Latin, r:Roman
> buffer code: #x62
> file code: #x62 (encoded by coding system nil)
> display: no font available
>
>> and do you have that font available?
>
> No, I don't seem to have Sans-normal-normal-normal-*-20-*-75-75-*-0-iso10646-1
> availble according to xfontsel.

Three points

1. Did you build emacs with xft support?

2. The name you give "Sans-normal-normal-normal-*-20-*-75-75-*-0-iso10646-1"
looks to be just the suffix did you mean something like
"-unknown-DejaVu Sans-normal...". You don't need to have DejaVu,
but I would advise getting either DejaVu or bitstream vera.

3. Your output and mine differ in one point (before the font issue)
You have "coding system nil".
I have "coding system utf-8-unix". Unfortunately I know very little
about coding systems but do wonder why ours are different since we
both did emacs -q. Unfortunately if we do emacs -Q to eliminate
some system customization, there is no splash screen. The
description of UTF-8 says it is for unicode. Perhaps your nil
coding system has trouble with unicode, but I am afraid this has
gotten outside my expertise.

sorry for not being more helpful.
allan

Old 07-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-07-12, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:

>>> What does C-u C-x = give on your system
>>
>> character: b (98, #o142, #x62)
>> preferred charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
>> code point: 0x62
>> syntax: w which means: word
>> category: .:Base, a:ASCII, l:Latin, r:Roman
>> buffer code: #x62
>> file code: #x62 (encoded by coding system nil)
>> display: no font available
>>
>>> and do you have that font available?
>>
>> No, I don't seem to have Sans-normal-normal-normal-*-20-*-75-75-*-0-iso10646-1
>> availble according to xfontsel.
>
> Three points
>
> 1. Did you build emacs with xft support?
>
> 2. The name you give "Sans-normal-normal-normal-*-20-*-75-75-*-0-iso10646-1"
> looks to be just the suffix did you mean something like
> "-unknown-DejaVu Sans-normal...".

Oops -- cut/paste error.

I don't have that font using the whole pattern either.

> You don't need to have DejaVu, but I would advise getting either
> DejaVu or bitstream vera.

I guess I can install more fonts, but I was hoping I could point emacs
at one of the rougly 4000 I've already got.

> 3. Your output and mine differ in one point (before the font issue)
> You have "coding system nil". I have "coding system utf-8-unix".
> Unfortunately I know very little about coding systems but do
> wonder why ours are different since we both did emacs -q.
> Unfortunately if we do emacs -Q to eliminate some system
> customization, there is no splash screen. The description of
> UTF-8 says it is for unicode. Perhaps your nil coding system has
> trouble with unicode, but I am afraid this has gotten outside my
> expertise.

I do have one computer where emacs does find a font for the "about"
screen, so I guess it's a matter of comparing the two.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Will it improve my
at CASH FLOW?

Old 07-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Róbert Čerňanský

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 18:11:17 +0000 (UTC)
Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2010-07-12, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:
>
> > You don't need to have DejaVu, but I would advise getting either
> > DejaVu or bitstream vera.
>
> I guess I can install more fonts, but I was hoping I could point emacs
> at one of the rougly 4000 I've already got.

You can. I'm not sure why is that but it seems that your emacs is not
able to find variable pitch font - "About emacs" screen and tooltips
are using such font; normal edit buffers uses a fixed width font. To
be more precise, they are using 'variable-pitch' face so you have to
set font for that face. You can do that with 'M-x customize-face
<RET> variable-pitch <RET>'. This displays a buffer where you can set
the font.

Note that 'customize-face' command offers you the face that is used to
display a character on which the cursor is. So if you place the
cursor on one of the empty boxes then 'M-x customize-face <RET>' should
automatically offer you the 'variable-pitch' face.

Regards,
Robert

--
Robert Cernansky
E-mail: hslists2@zoznam.sk

Old 07-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-07-12, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:

> 2. The name you give "Sans-normal-normal-normal-*-20-*-75-75-*-0-iso10646-1"
> looks to be just the suffix did you mean something like
> "-unknown-DejaVu Sans-normal...". You don't need to have DejaVu,
> but I would advise getting either DejaVu or bitstream vera.

OK, I've figured out that I do have both dejavu and bitstream vera
fonts installed (but they weren't on the font path). Now "DejaVu
Sans" does work. The problem is that emacs wants a font with a family
name of "Sans Serif", and none of the installed fonts provide a family
with that name.

I changed "Sans Serif" to "DejaVu Sans" in /usr/share/emacs/23.1/lisp/faces.el,
but emacs is till asking for a font with a family name of "Sans Serif".

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! My uncle Murray
at conquered Egypt in 53 B.C.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-07-13, R?bert ?er?ansk? <hslists2@zoznam.sk> wrote:

> You can. I'm not sure why is that but it seems that your emacs is not
> able to find variable pitch font - "About emacs" screen and tooltips
> are using such font; normal edit buffers uses a fixed width font. To
> be more precise, they are using 'variable-pitch' face so you have to
> set font for that face. You can do that with 'M-x customize-face
> <RET> variable-pitch <RET>'. This displays a buffer where you can set
> the font.

That's the trick: changing the family from "Sans Serif" to "DejaVu
Sans", save the settings, restart emacs, and now the "about" text is
rendered. That particular font is rather ugly and blurry, but at
least it's rendering.

> Note that 'customize-face' command offers you the face that is used to
> display a character on which the cursor is. So if you place the
> cursor on one of the empty boxes then 'M-x customize-face <RET>' should
> automatically offer you the 'variable-pitch' face.

Yup.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Psychoanalysis??
at I thought this was a nude