FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-08-2010, 01:04 AM
 
Default Beautifying goot and halt process

Hi,

with my Linux I use a HP LW2475w lfatscreen monitor.
When I halt the computer there is a point in the shutdown
process when Linux shutoff X11 and switch to console.
When this happens, a not-so-nice "colored flash"
is seen most of the thime at the lower part of
the screen. This looks like that there is something
wrong, technically incorrect (I know it is not) and
its look inperfect and odd.

Is there any way to switch a flatscreen to console
without this "color explosions" ?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help!
Best regards,
mcc
 
Old 07-08-2010, 02:19 AM
"Walter Dnes"
 
Default Beautifying goot and halt process

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 03:04:53AM +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote

> Is there any way to switch a flatscreen to console
> without this "color explosions" ?

> Thanks a lot in advance for any help!

The command you want is "chvt". E.g...

chvt 1

...will change you over to text console 1, just like the {CTRL-ALT-F1}
key combo. You may want to try "chvt 12" (equivalant to {CTRL-ALT-F12}
if you want to see logging while the shutdown is in progress. I don't
know what desktop or window manager you use, but if it has a shutdown
script you can include "chvt 12" (without the quotes) in it. Another
option is to put it in /etc/conf.d/local.stop but be careful when doing
etc-update that it doesn't get overwritten by the default empty file.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
 
Old 07-08-2010, 02:33 AM
 
Default Beautifying goot and halt process

Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> [10-07-08 04:24]:
> On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 03:04:53AM +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote
>
> > Is there any way to switch a flatscreen to console
> > without this "color explosions" ?
>
> > Thanks a lot in advance for any help!
>
> The command you want is "chvt". E.g...
>
> chvt 1
>
> ...will change you over to text console 1, just like the {CTRL-ALT-F1}
> key combo. You may want to try "chvt 12" (equivalant to {CTRL-ALT-F12}
> if you want to see logging while the shutdown is in progress. I don't
> know what desktop or window manager you use, but if it has a shutdown
> script you can include "chvt 12" (without the quotes) in it. Another
> option is to put it in /etc/conf.d/local.stop but be careful when doing
> etc-update that it doesn't get overwritten by the default empty file.
>
> --
> Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Hi Walter,

thanks a lot for your reply

I tried chvt 1 by hand and it generates the same "color flash" as
the automatic switch to the console while shutting down my box.

I think, switching to the console as such isnt the problem here as it works.
The problem is the switching process itsself. "To switch" generates
that flickering colors.
May be turning off brightness, switching and turning on brightness
/may/ help...but how?

Best regards,
mcc
 
Old 07-08-2010, 03:15 AM
"Walter Dnes"
 
Default Beautifying goot and halt process

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 04:33:20AM +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote

> I think, switching to the console as such isnt the problem here as
> it works. The problem is the switching process itsself. "To switch"
> generates that flickering colors. May be turning off brightness,
> switching and turning on brightness /may/ help...but how?

The command for that *IN X WINDOWS* is...

xset dpms force off

If you want to do it manually from the keyboard, I suggest typing...

sleep 3 ; xset dpms force off

This will wait 3 seconds before switching the screen off. Any mouse
or keyboard action should wake up the screen. The 3 second delay is so
that the keyboard bouncing back from you hitting {ENTER} doesn't wake up
the screen.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
 
Old 07-08-2010, 03:38 AM
 
Default Beautifying goot and halt process

Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> [10-07-08 05:20]:
> On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 04:33:20AM +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote
>
> > I think, switching to the console as such isnt the problem here as
> > it works. The problem is the switching process itsself. "To switch"
> > generates that flickering colors. May be turning off brightness,
> > switching and turning on brightness /may/ help...but how?
>
> The command for that *IN X WINDOWS* is...
>
> xset dpms force off
>
> If you want to do it manually from the keyboard, I suggest typing...
>
> sleep 3 ; xset dpms force off
>
> This will wait 3 seconds before switching the screen off. Any mouse
> or keyboard action should wake up the screen. The 3 second delay is so
> that the keyboard bouncing back from you hitting {ENTER} doesn't wake up
> the screen.
>
> --
> Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
>

Ok, I will experiment with this. Thanks a lot, Walter !

Best regards,
mcc
 
Old 07-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default Beautifying goot and halt process

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 04:33:20 +0200, meino.cramer@gmx.de wrote:

> I tried chvt 1 by hand and it generates the same "color flash" as
> the automatic switch to the console while shutting down my box.

I suspect this may be an artifact from your monitor switching
resolutions, in which case the fix is to alter your console resolution to
match the X resolution.


--
Neil Bothwick

Sisko:"I won't be condescending to you this episode, Dr. Bashir."
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:21 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org