Old 07-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Jarry

Default current network traffic rate, in real time (in console)?

Hi,

I would like to see in console current network transfer rate
for given interface, similar as I can see cpu-loading in [%]
with "top" command.

Just single overall value in [bytes/second] or similar unit
would be enough for me, averaged over certain short time
interval (let's say 1 or 5 seconds). How could I do that?

Jarry

Old 07-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Etaoin Shrdlu

On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 19:37:37 +0200
Jarry <mr.jarry@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to see in console current network transfer rate
> for given interface, similar as I can see cpu-loading in [%]
> with "top" command.
>
> Just single overall value in [bytes/second] or similar unit
> would be enough for me, averaged over certain short time
> interval (let's say 1 or 5 seconds). How could I do that?

Emerge net-analyzer/iftop

Old 07-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Bill Longman

On 07/07/2010 10:37 AM, Jarry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to see in console current network transfer rate
> for given interface, similar as I can see cpu-loading in [%]
> with "top" command.
>
> Just single overall value in [bytes/second] or similar unit
> would be enough for me, averaged over certain short time
> interval (let's say 1 or 5 seconds). How could I do that?

Do this first:

eix --stable -cC net-analyzer

Pick one that you think fits.

The one I picked was trafshow.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:02 PM
James

Jarry <mr.jarry <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to see in console current network transfer rate
> for given interface, similar as I can see cpu-loading in [%]
> with "top" command.

iotop is very cool, but requires some accounting support
to be set in the kernel.......

hth,
James

Old 07-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 19:37:37 +0200, Jarry wrote:

> I would like to see in console current network transfer rate
> for given interface, similar as I can see cpu-loading in [%]
> with "top" command.

There's also nethogs.

--
Neil Bothwick

Assassins do it from behind.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:49 PM

Kyle Bader <kyle.bader@gmail.com> wrote:

> Iotop is for io and the kernel support is through netlink. Aside
>
> On 7/7/10, James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> > Jarry <mr.jarry <at> gmail.com> writes:
> >

> >> I would like to see in console current network transfer rate
> >> for given interface, similar as I can see cpu-loading in [%]
> >> with "top" command.
> >
> > iotop is very cool, but requires some accounting support
> > to be set in the kernel.......
> >
> > hth,
> > James

vnstat does this as well.