Old 07-07-2010, 02:56 PM

Default kdm & french keyboard

I log in thru kdm. As I'm french, I have an azerty keyboard. By default, kdm use
a qwerty keymap. That's a problem when it comes to entering passwords. How do I
get kdm launched with an azerty keymap ? (nothing relevant found in kdmrc).

Old 07-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 16:56:17 +0200, alain.didierjean@free.fr wrote:

> I log in thru kdm. As I'm french, I have an azerty keyboard. By
> default, kdm use a qwerty keymap. That's a problem when it comes to
> entering passwords. How do I get kdm launched with an azerty keymap ?
> (nothing relevant found in kdmrc).

Set in in xorg.conf. there's a thread on the forums that deals with this
using HAL fdi files, but those are not deprecated for Xorg.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-808934-start-0.html

--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 010: Reserved for future mistakes by our developers

Old 07-07-2010, 03:23 PM

Selon Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk>:

> On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 16:56:17 +0200, alain.didierjean@free.fr wrote:
>
> > I log in thru kdm. As I'm french, I have an azerty keyboard. By
> > default, kdm use a qwerty keymap. That's a problem when it comes to
> > entering passwords. How do I get kdm launched with an azerty keymap ?
> > (nothing relevant found in kdmrc).
>
> Set in in xorg.conf. there's a thread on the forums that deals with this
> using HAL fdi files, but those are not deprecated for Xorg.
>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-808934-start-0.html

Fast & reliable as ever. Thanks. Followed the link and fixed 10-x11-input.fdi as
iI don't have a xorg.conf anymore.A matter of seconds... Thanks,

--
~adj~

Old 07-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 17:23:13 +0200, alain.didierjean@free.fr wrote:

> > Set in in xorg.conf. there's a thread on the forums that deals with
> > this using HAL fdi files, but those are not deprecated for Xorg.

Whoops, don't know how that "not" crept in, HAL is deprecated for Xorg.

> > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-808934-start-0.html
>
> Fast & reliable as ever. Thanks. Followed the link and fixed
> 10-x11-input.fdi as iI don't have a xorg.conf anymore.A matter of
> seconds... Thanks,

Until your version of Xorg stops supporting HAL, when you will need an
xorg.conf.

--
Neil Bothwick

I have seen things you lusers would not believe.
I've seen Sun monitors on fire off the side of the multimedia lab.
I've seen NTU lights glitter in the dark near the Mail Gate.
All these things will be lost in time, like the root partition last
week. Time to die.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Stéphane Guedon

Le mercredi 07 juillet 2010 17:58:15, Neil Bothwick a écrit :
> On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 17:23:13 +0200, alain.didierjean@free.fr wrote:
> > > Set in in xorg.conf. there's a thread on the forums that deals with
> > > this using HAL fdi files, but those are not deprecated for Xorg.
>
> Whoops, don't know how that "not" crept in, HAL is deprecated for Xorg.
>
> > > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-808934-start-0.html
> >
> > Fast & reliable as ever. Thanks. Followed the link and fixed
> > 10-x11-input.fdi as iI don't have a xorg.conf anymore.A matter of
> > seconds... Thanks,
>
> Until your version of Xorg stops supporting HAL, when you will need an
> xorg.conf.

You can also pass through udev !

--
Stéphane Guedon
page web : http://www.22decembre.eu/

Old 07-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 19:19:14 +0200, Stéphane Guedon wrote:

> > Until your version of Xorg stops supporting HAL, when you will need an
> > xorg.conf.
>
> You can also pass through udev !

How? I know how to use udev for device recognition, but how do you tell
it to use a particular keyboard layout?

--
Neil Bothwick

Pedestrians come in two types: Quick or Dead.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:50 AM

Selon Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk>:

> On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 17:23:13 +0200, alain.didierjean@free.fr wrote:
>
> > > Set in in xorg.conf. there's a thread on the forums that deals with
> > > this using HAL fdi files, but those are not deprecated for Xorg.
>
> Whoops, don't know how that "not" crept in, HAL is deprecated for Xorg.
>
> > > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-808934-start-0.html
> >
> > Fast & reliable as ever. Thanks. Followed the link and fixed
> > 10-x11-input.fdi as iI don't have a xorg.conf anymore.A matter of
> > seconds... Thanks,
>
> Until your version of Xorg stops supporting HAL, when you will need an
> xorg.conf.

That will be greeted! Anyway I keep a copy of my old xorg.conf, easier to
configure and tweek that the HAL mess.

--
~adj~

Old 07-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Ronan Mainbourg

If you use a recent version of xorg-server (>= 1.8) you can enable the
"udev" use flag, and disable the flag "hal".

Hal usage with xorg is clearly deprecated now, and its complete
removal from xorg-server is scheduled soon, as it will be eventually
replaced by the new abstraction layer from freedesktop.org "DeviceKit"

Before it occurs, Xorg-server works well using udev instead of hal to
deal with hardware recognition.

I've got a similar config (azerty keyboard, no xorg.conf) and just
created the file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/11-keymap.conf' where I put the
following lines:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Keyboard"
Driver "evdev"
Option "xkbLayout" "fr"
MatchIsKeyboard "on"
EndSection

--
Ronan Mainbourg
Antananarivo, Madagascar

--
Ronan Mainbourg
Tél: +261(0)32.78.009.95

Lot IIIH-99C
Ambatolampy - Ambohibao
101 Antananarivo
Madagascar

Old 07-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Stéphane Guedon

Le jeudi 08 juillet 2010 01:13:56, Neil Bothwick a écrit :
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 19:19:14 +0200, Stéphane Guedon wrote:
> > > Until your version of Xorg stops supporting HAL, when you will need an
> > > xorg.conf.
> >
> > You can also pass through udev !
>
> How? I know how to use udev for device recognition, but how do you tell
> it to use a particular keyboard layout?

19:18:09 stephane@luciole:/etc/udev/rules.d $ cat 61-x11-input.rules
SUBSYSTEM!="input", GOTO="x11_input_end"
ACTION!="add", GOTO="x11_input_end"

KERNEL=="event*", ENV{x11_driver}="evdev"
KERNEL=="event*", ENV{ID_INPUT_KEYBOARD}=="1

ENV{ID_INPUT_KEY}=="?*", ENV{xkblayout}="fr"

LABEL="x11_input_end"
=======

You have to tell udev your a "fr" with the x11-input rule

Old 07-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 19:19:25 +0200, Stéphane Guedon wrote:

> > How? I know how to use udev for device recognition, but how do you
> > tell it to use a particular keyboard layout?
>
> 19:18:09 stephane@luciole:/etc/udev/rules.d $ cat 61-x11-input.rules
> SUBSYSTEM!="input", GOTO="x11_input_end"
> ACTION!="add", GOTO="x11_input_end"
>
> KERNEL=="event*", ENV{x11_driver}="evdev"
> KERNEL=="event*", ENV{ID_INPUT_KEYBOARD}=="1
>
> ENV{ID_INPUT_KEY}=="?*", ENV{xkblayout}="fr"
>
> LABEL="x11_input_end"
> =======

Interesting, but it seems more complex that a simple stanza
in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d. Using udev rules for something that will only be
used by one application adds unnecessary complication, IMO. If only X
will use the information, I'd prefer to put in in the X configuration
directory.

--
Neil Bothwick

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who
think.(Horace Walpole)