Old 07-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Daniel Troeder

Default Why does high-res video drop frames at 60% CPU?

On 07/07/2010 03:01 PM, Mick wrote:
> On 7 July 2010 12:27, Daniel Troeder <daniel@admin-box.com> wrote:
>
>> Use "htop" to see threads. As far as I know "top" won't show those. So
>> you can't check if your multi-threaded mplayer is really using more than
>> 1 thread/process.
>
> What do you get when you press upper case 'H' in top?
Oh - I wasn't aware of that key - nice

With htop I do see 4 mplayer processes with both mplayer and
mplayer-uau... (can't sort properly with top) but only 1 process really
uses any cpu time... I wonder if mplayer-uau is really using ffmpeg-mt
(I did set the use flag)...

Daniel

--
PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
# gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887

Old 07-08-2010, 01:30 AM
Grant

>>> Regarding mplayer: There is another ebuild in the multimedia-overlay
>>> that I prefer now to mplayer(-mt) and that also uses ffmpeg-mt :
>>> media-video/mplayer-uau.
>>>
>>> It fetches the mplayer-version from one of the mplayer-devs and creates
>>> a binary called "mplayer-uau" which can be installed at the same time as
>>> the official mplayer package.
>>
>> I gave that a try and it smoothed everything right out, so I guess it
>> was a CPU issue after all. *Thank you for your help. *How is
>> mplayer-uau different from mplayer-mt? *Maybe mplayer-mt can't be
>
> mplayer from multimedia overlay is a replacement for the regular, official
> mplayer with the only change being ffmpeg-mt. *It can't be installed
> alongside regular mplayer because it's a replacement and multithreading can
> be enabled/disabled at runtime.
>
> mplayer-uau is a fork of MPlayer, previously known as "mplayer-git", before
> the developer was kicked from the mplayer project for unknown reasons.
> *While mplayer from multimedia only adds the ffmpeg-mt patch, mplayer-uau
> adds more patches.

Does mplayer from multimedia overlay include mplayer-mt and ffmpeg-mt
patches, or just ffmpeg-mt? Do you know what other significant
patches mplayer-uau adds?

- Grant

Old 07-08-2010, 03:11 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

[...]